Knife woes

VernAK

WKR
I was intrigued by a KOA design and what the hell it's D2 steel like my Dozier. The KOA went on the gun show table as I couldn't sharpen the damn thing. Dozier has the tempering down pat. My daughter also bought a KOAA and gave up on it also.

I use my Dozier Slim Outdoorsman a lot and I also get along very well with some very inexpensive Mora knives. The Mora can't be beat for the $$$ IMO. I was going to buy my two nephews each a Dozier but he's three years out on new orders.

I've used Grohmans a lot in my 70 years of hunting and found them much friendlier to use than one would think.

I prefer non-slippery handles and a blade length 4" or less.

I was intrigued by a KOA design and what the hell it's D2 steel like my Dozier. The KOA went on the gun show table as I couldn't sharpen the damn thing. Dozier has the tempering down pat. My daughter also bought a KOAA and gave up on it also.

I use my Dozier Slim Outdoorsman a lot and I also get along very well with some very inexpensive Mora knives. The Mora can't be beat for the $$$ IMO. I was going to buy my two nephews each a Dozier but he's three years out on new orders.

I've used Grohmans a lot in my 70 years of hunting and found them much friendlier to use than one would think.

I prefer non-slippery handles and a blade length 4" or less.
This^^^^^

Honyock

WKR
I questioned the size of the blade on the Benchmade Hidden Canyon but after using it on a black bear and four whitetails it's my go to knife.

Looking for a hunting knife. Seems a little overwhelming. My needs are something that can process a moose, hold an edge and wont break the bank. I have my eye on a KOA knife but the two I like are either 3” or 3.5”; are those big enough or would I need something in the 4” range? The benchmade saddle mountain skinner has my attention as well, but the price is pretty high. Any other brand recommendations would be appreciated. Thank you.
I have the benchmade hidden canyon hunter and love it as a skinner and use it for clean work and my outdoor edge for any dirty work. Keeps you skinner sharp and keeps from getting anything on your meat. And after the season you can send it in to benchmade and they will get the factory edge back and all you have to pay is shipping

Looking for a hunting knife. Seems a little overwhelming. My needs are something that can process a moose, hold an edge and wont break the bank. I have my eye on a KOA knife but the two I like are either 3” or 3.5”; are those big enough or would I need something in the 4” range? The benchmade saddle mountain skinner has my attention as well, but the price is pretty high. Any other brand recommendations would be appreciated. Thank you.
I have two skinners and two hunters in that series. I think the hunter is my favorite knife just for size and agility. But the skinner is damn nice too. Benchmade is all I have for hunting and edc knives except a couple havalons I stash in my bino harnesses.

If I was hunting moose I think the skinner would be the right tool. And it holds an edge phenomenally well. Once season is over, send it to them and you’ll get it back like the day you bought it.

If I am wearing clothes I have a folder in my pocket. If I am hunting, the folder is still in my pocket but I carry a Havalon in my kill kit. As long as you don't apply torque to the blade or try to force it into joints it will do everything you need to butcher large game. I used one blade on two cow elk last year in the same day with no issues. Just don't try to force it into being a stronger blade than it is and it will make processing your kills a lot smoother.

NDGuy

WKR
I can make you one if interested and can keep the price down. Let me know if interested.

Otherwise Benchmade, Esee, Buck are great options.IMG_7704.jpeg

onlybrowning

Lil-Rokslider
Benchmade Steep Country and Hidden Canyon are great. I worried the Hidden Canyon would be too small, but it’s not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NDGuy

WKR
Benchmade Steep Country and Hidden Canyon are great. I worried the Hidden Canyon would be too small, but it’s not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep I love the Hidden Canyon and Steep Country. Although I got the steep country for like $30 on that deal posted here a few years back lol

I have owned (and still own) many, many knives. For moose these are my choice and they aren't terribly expensive. Get the orange handle for visibility. Several fellows I know who hunt and kill moose every year use these almost exclusively. I've never seen anything that's better for taking apart a big, thick-skinned animal like a moose:

Last edited: