Knife of choice

crrakcrrak

Lil-Rokslider
a knife with 3.5-4.5" blade is what I prefer. It seems to work great for gutting chores and typically not overly heavy. I carried a 3 blade folder for a while and gifted my 2 sons in law same.

These days I have been leaning towards lightweight fixed blade knives and have used a couple made by Mora and Buck. For Christmas, I gifted both sons-in-laws a lightweight Boker Magnum fixed blade. I pulled out a knife that I bought some 35 or so years ago recently and it will begin hunting with me again now too.

Attachments

• IMG_20220106_142946433.jpg
    IMG_20220106_142946433.jpg
    420.6 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20220106_142852514.jpg
    IMG_20220106_142852514.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20220106_142843406.jpg
    IMG_20220106_142843406.jpg
    350.8 KB · Views: 39

spudists

FNG
I do some bladesmithing, so I carry a thin 3.5" blade that I forged, along with a Havalon. Pretty hard to beat the Havalon for weight/convenience, but I still like having a fixed blade.

Pankowsj

FNG
I’m partial to my ESEE Ashley Game Knife… I’ll also carry an old SOG Huntspoint or (don’t hate) a Morakniv that I paid about $10 for at Sierra.

DWD

Lil-Rokslider
Been running an outdoor edge razorlite for skinning chores and argali carbon for boning. It’s been a good combination from deer to birds.

Been following Montana knife company releases and while I’d like to try one of their knives, the para cord handles turn me off. If they put some slim scales on those knives they would have a real winner in my opinion.

mbania

FNG
Havalon for me as well, hard to beat in the field. Carry a few extra blades and you are pretty much good to go.

Gtscotty

FNG
Kind of a steel nerd here, so carrying a Havalon on a hunt would kind of feel like hunting with a Rem 783.... I'm sure it works but....

In the past I've carried two knives, an older Mel Pardue Benchmade design in D2, and a custom in O1. More recently I've accumulated a bunch of Spyderco ~3.5" Mules in neato steels like SPY27, M398, S45VN, Z-Max, Magnacut, etc so I've been mostly carrying them on hunts.

Damage

FNG
USA made Schrade stockman. Any high carbon one is probably fine. Cleaned 100s of white tails, other critters with one. Easy to sharpen, cheap, simple.

Cinchy52

FNG
I`m old I`m a custom made knife hoarder! I have several from different makers that I carry & use, but I do like them to be orange handles. And yes I have a Havalon that I use skinning critters heads out also.

Attachments

• 20170602_143350.jpg
    20170602_143350.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1937.JPG
    IMG_1937.JPG
    277 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1940.JPG
    IMG_1940.JPG
    310.8 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1952.JPG
    IMG_1952.JPG
    235.7 KB · Views: 36

Cheesy

FNG
Newest from Tim Olt that arrived Friday. #6 drop point, S35VN and Box Elder scales.

lVerna2.jpg

QLiQsBu.jpg

I have carried a Benchmade Hidden Canyon Hunter for years now and really enjoy that compact little knife. My wife surprised me with a new Steep Country for my birthday this year, hoping I have some opportunities to test it out this season.

TaperPin

WKR
You guys are much tougher than me - I only pack a Gerber ultra lite.

Attachments

• 233BF18D-1806-4284-BBFA-BC060BE17A1C.jpeg
    233BF18D-1806-4284-BBFA-BC060BE17A1C.jpeg
    499.1 KB · Views: 28

mcseal2

WKR
My choice has changed a few times since this thread started in 2016. I was not hunting in Alaska yet then and was using O1 or 1095 knives. I prefer a little more rust resistance now so I can be a little more lax on maintenance. I bought a Dozier Pro Guide knife that served me well for several years. I loved the knife but really got to liking the 3V steel on some of my other knives I used for work or camping. I found a maker willing to make me a knife really similar to the Pro guide, but with a 90 degree spine, high saber grind, and 3V steel. If I need to I can abuse this one a little more than I'd want to with the hollow ground D2 Dozier. It's more corrosion resistant as well. So far I've been really happy with it. When I'm breaking down an animal ahead of a storm, or a steep decent with light failing I know I can be hard on this knife without worry popping joints quicker etc. They say we all pack our fears, and having a tough knife alleviates one of mine.

I let friends in Wyoming, a guide and outfitter use it, and they both loved it as well. He has made 7 of the design now for those two plus other friends of mine. I have a second one in the gun safe just in case.

It's not for everyone. It's a bigger blade at 4 3/4"and weighs 10.2oz with the sheath and firesteel. It works for me though.

I'll carry a Benchmade Altitude or Bugout as a back-up or for caping, cleaning skulls, or in case I ever lose my bigger knife. In AK I wear waders or Kuiu rain pants all the time with a built in belt so I carry my fixed blade in my pack and my ZT 452CF folder in a pocket.

Attachments

• IMG_4856.jpeg
    IMG_4856.jpeg
    459.1 KB · Views: 28

birdog

FNG
My choice has changed a few times since this thread started in 2016. I was not hunting in Alaska yet then and was using O1 or 1095 knives. I prefer a little more rust resistance now so I can be a little more lax on maintenance. I bought a Dozier Pro Guide knife that served me well for several years. I loved the knife but really got to liking the 3V steel on some of my other knives I used for work or camping. I found a maker willing to make me a knife really similar to the Pro guide, but with a 90 degree spine, high saber grind, and 3V steel. If I need to I can abuse this one a little more than I'd want to with the hollow ground D2 Dozier. It's more corrosion resistant as well. So far I've been really happy with it. When I'm breaking down an animal ahead of a storm, or a steep decent with light failing I know I can be hard on this knife without worry popping joints quicker etc. They say we all pack our fears, and having a tough knife alleviates one of mine.

I let friends in Wyoming, a guide and outfitter use it, and they both loved it as well. He has made 7 of the design now for those two plus other friends of mine. I have a second one in the gun safe just in case.

It's not for everyone. It's a bigger blade at 4 3/4"and weighs 10.2oz with the sheath and firesteel. It works for me though.

I'll carry a Benchmade Altitude or Bugout as a back-up or for caping, cleaning skulls, or in case I ever lose my bigger knife. In AK I wear waders or Kuiu rain pants all the time with a built in belt so I carry my fixed blade in my pack and my ZT 452CF folder in a pocket.
That is a very nice knife. I'm assuming your knife make isn't taking orders?

mcseal2

WKR
Thanks. I was sure willing to brag on him here, but he didn’t want me too. He builds knives on the side and stays plenty busy.

I will text him and PM you if he is interested if you are serious about getting one. I’ll get you in touch and let you take it from there if it works out.