Knee pads and Mountain Goats....?

For any or all of you out there that have hunted these GREAT animals did you have or wish you had some knee pads with you? I have buried cactus needles in my knee hunting Antelope so bad that my knee was a pumpkin, have to believe stalking close to a Goat w/bow in some rocky terrain this could help when the animals eye's have you pinned down for some time.

shanevg

WKR
Never seen anyone use them or used them myself but seems like a good idea. Lots of shake slides you hang out in.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I use them for everything.

Arcteryx Knee Caps

They are worth every penny and I even use them on scouting trips now. I'm not getting any younger:)

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
There have been many times I wish I had them, but didn't. I wear some all the time at work and never thought to try some hunting. I just looked at the Arcteryx and they advertise they are about 6 ounces. For that kind of weight I will give them a try and see if I get anything out of them.

tangsrud

FNG
For those considering knee pads, get them!
I will not be caught without them again. Last year I had the pads that come with the Sitka Mountain pants and they were uncomfortable. This year I will have the Arcteryx knee pads that Aron uses.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
So I ordered a pair of the Arc'Teryx Knee Caps and they arrived today. Very light weight, 7.6 oz., and pretty comfortable.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Of the 7 mnt goats I have been involved with only 1 was a bow kill though I shot my 9.5 inch billy at 40 yards with a .338. The bow kill was in 1 foot of snow too, but never felt the need for knee pads.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Rick, the picture is small, but I am pictured standing at the top of a ridge as we dropped into another basin. Also Military Morons has close up pictures of the knee pads and I bought mine at BackCountryGear.com

Bighorse

WKR
I use a small piece of closed cell foam. Luke calls it my old man pad. Although It's not operational for stalking, it's more for just kneeling around and doing camp chores ect......

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Hey now, I normally carry an old man pad too, but didn't the night I needed on the mountain. :D

Bighorse

WKR
Nice avatar. Grin! You know I've been GPS'ing all your best locations and wanted to duplicate your great photo. I couldn't get it with the snow falling, just a cloud bank.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
HAHA, that is hilarious Bighorse!!! :D Though I would be willing to bet we were chasing two different white critters in the mountains. :D