Kit advice

qmalone64

FNG
Got my first western hunt this fall. looking for some opinions on any holes in my clothing lineup. Will be hunting 2nd rifle/ mule deer / colorado. Will be Truck camping. Plan is to bounce around alot and day hunt from the truck each day.

I have Waterfowl hunted for years so I have some clothing that will pull double duty. Just looking for tips on anything that needs to be addressed thats missing below.

Base layer - sitka light weight long sleeve. Kuiu zip off bottoms

Pants - kuiu attack and first lite corrugate

Mid layer - sitka heavyweight hoody

Outer layers - first lite catalyst and sitka grindstone jacket

Have a pair of sitka hudson bibs ill have with me. Heavy but have them in a pinch this first year in case.

Boots - schnees beartooths and outdoor research gaiters.

Been mix and matching things with sales this year. Just lookimg for advice on any big holes i should fill before season - rain gear? More insulation layers? Etc etc.

Thanks!

huntnful

WKR
Sounds perfect to me! Get a good pair of thin merino gloves (I like stone glacier) and maybe some puffy gloves to throw over them if its really cold.

Hunting from the truck you can bring extra stuff and just keep and eye on weather on your phone/garmin. Don't start with any base layer bottoms on if you're making a big morning hike. You'll sweat to death. Just start off cold, and then layer up when you get to the top.

OP
Q

qmalone64

FNG
Roger that. Stone glacier mitts are on the buy list for sure. Ill keep that in mind on the base layers. Thanks for the advice!

Head gear. A significant amount of body heat is lost through the head, and it's something of an easy-button in helping regulate your temp, just taking it on and off. Avoiding breaking much of a sweat is pretty important for cold weather stuff, especially if you're moving hard to get into an area before daybreak, and expect to have to sit still glassing for long periods of time.

OP
Q

qmalone64

FNG
Roger that. Gaiter and beanie are on the list. Thanks guys.

Any need for rain gear? Have a simms rain jacket I use fishing i can throw in the pack. Rain pants I have wont go over boots though. Need to get a set before this upcoming season or ok to delay on that? Dont have unlimited funds haha.

Puffy pants a need for second season?

Dennis

WKR
I would assume you will need florescent vest, hat and beanie depending on state. Puffy pants aren't a bad idea if you plan to sit and glass. If you plan to walk and sit for shorter periods they aren't necessary. I do like some sort of puffy vest that time of year,

OP
Q

qmalone64

FNG
Hot the vest lined out. Just a cheap one. Hat and beanie lined out as well. You like the down vest just for an extra layer when glassing? Reason you like vest over a full down jacket?

slamdmini

FNG
Packable rain gear is always nice to have. To me vests are pointless. I bought one a few years ago and used it once cuz I was still cold. With most people their extremities and limbs get cold first. Obviously something to cut the wind is a must

j_volt

WKR
If I was you, I would want a puffy next. Easy to pack, great warmth.

Smart to bring those Hudson bibs, but I hope you don’t need them because they aren’t fun to hike in.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Just start off cold, and then layer up when you get to the top.
This is an excellent piece of advice! We used to backpack and hunt the sierras where it would be close to freezing overnight and in the morning. Throwing that cold pack on and shivering when you start sucks ass, but it’s way better than a getting a mile into your hike and peeling off base layers.

wyodog

Lil-Rokslider
Get decent rain gear. by decent I mean something that doesn't tear easily. Rain gear works great for an extra layer while glassing. For me layering means layers so I'll wear more that 1 base layer a lot times because they aren't bulky.

TaperPin

WKR
Hot the vest lined out. Just a cheap one. Hat and beanie lined out as well. You like the down vest just for an extra layer when glassing? Reason you like vest over a full down jacket?
For whatever reason a vest never worked well for me - down or fleece - it’s nice to have extra warmth in the arms to help the hands stay warmer. I do know some guys that live in vests and swear by them, but as much as I wanted to like them, years of trying just didn’t do it. Lol

I am not familiar with all the names so one might be this already. But I always have a good puffy (I use Kuiu superdown) to run right under my rain/shell layer for the coldest days.

WKR
Neck gaiter for me that time of year helps a lot. Kifaru puffy has worked very well for me too.

SonnyDay

WKR
I would recommend some socks.

I'm a big fan of Darn Tough (their Mountaineer Sock).

I also wear thin liner socks under those--silk or polypro.

If you are doing any distance on your feet, don't skimp on socks!

Enjoy and good luck!