Kimber Producing New Rifles?

wyojdubya

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone else notice the new Kimber Mountain Ascent models showing up in the usual places? I'm not sure what to make of the "Caza" and "Skyfall." (I didn't realize Daniel Craig preferred CRF.) Coated metal and unfluted barrels, but seemingly similar (same?) weights as the original model. I like the Kimbers I own and will be curious to hear about experiences with the new ones.

hunter_caza_rightprofile_1.pnghunter_skyfall_right_family_780x315_1.png

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I just wish my 243 barrel was meaty enough to have it threaded without making compromises. Love the rifle.
Compromise means different things to different people, for me, I didn’t want to thread a barrel to 1/2x28 then use an adapter, I also didn’t want to install some big brake type thing on multiple barrels.

The barrel on the right of that picture is a Kimber Montana 308, it has a permanent adapter installed so I can direct thread my suppressors at 5/8x24 and just throw a thread protector on when I’m traveling or whatever.

I’d 100% go that route again, for me I believe it was absolutely worth it and in my mind, I didn’t make any compromises, I got an exactly what I wanted. Barrels shortened to 18” and set up to direct thread 5/8x24. It works great.

Attachments

• IMG_4850.jpeg
    IMG_4850.jpeg
    663.9 KB · Views: 47

Unckebob

WKR
Compromise means different things to different people, for me, I didn’t want to thread a barrel to 1/2x28 then use an adapter, I also didn’t want to install some big brake type thing on multiple barrels.

The barrel on the right of that picture is a Kimber Montana 308, it has a permanent adapter installed so I can direct thread my suppressors at 5/8x24 and just throw a thread protector on when I’m traveling or whatever.

I’d 100% go that route again, for me I believe it was absolutely worth it and in my mind, I didn’t make any compromises, I got an exactly what I wanted. Barrels shortened to 18” and set up to direct thread 5/8x24. It works great.
To me:
1) "having to" cut a barrel back is a compromise I am not willing to make.

2) If I "wanted to" cut it back, that would not be a compromise. As luck would have it, I sent off a 20" 280AI barrel to PVA to be cut back to 20." I wanted it cut back and decided to get it threaded while that was being done.

Going back to the original topic, I was saddened to Kimber's website says they are currently only offering rifles in 6.5CM and 308. I don't know if it is current (or if I missed one).

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
To me:
1) "having to" cut a barrel back is a compromise I am not willing to make.

2) If I "wanted to" cut it back, that would not be a compromise. As luck would have it, I sent off a 20" 280AI barrel to PVA to be cut back to 20." I wanted it cut back and decided to get it threaded while that was being done.

Going back to the original topic, I was saddened to Kimber's website says they are currently only offering rifles in 6.5CM and 308. I don't know if it is current (or if I missed one).
I guess I’m going to opposite direction, at this point having longer barrels is a compromise I just don’t want to make.

OP
wyojdubya

wyojdubya

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats on the acquisition. My older model Ascent 270 Win will be the last rifle to leave my safe.

Trackselk

WKR
I'd like to know where they shaved weight if there are no flutes!?
Might not look amazing, but better than the original clear coating that stained up from burnt logs/carbon. Now you just need a cleaned out hunter stock to drop half a pound or more if you want it significantly lighter.

Hunter270Win

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you! I got it brand new for $1500ish in .270 Win. I am so excited and awaiting its arrival. Any scope recommendations? or rings as well. I am not sure which rings to get.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Thank you! I got it brand new for $1500ish in .270 Win. I am so excited and awaiting its arrival. Any scope recommendations? or rings as well. I am not sure which rings to get.
I used the talley lightweights on my Kimber for years but recently switched to warne maxima based and mountain tech rings. They are absolutely heavier than the talleys but much more durable and reliable.

Trackselk

WKR
If you want it light you want Talley mount and old no longer made leupold scopes. I really like the 3x9 ultralight, and they can be found if you are patient and look often at ebay and gun shops. If you don't shoot beyond about 300 yards you might even consider the 2.5x20 ultralight which I think they actually still make, as it's 6.5 ounces!
But, most guys put some heavy beast on there with more magnification than they need. Eye sight dependent I guess.
-just the opinions of an ultralight junky...

pbroski

Lil-Rokslider
I have 6 Kimbers. The one I shoot the most is an Adirondack in 6.5CM with an NX8 1-8x24 in Talley Lightweights. The combo weighs 6lbs 2.2 oz. and will shoot 147 ELD-M's, N555 and Alpha brass right at about 1 moa at 100 yards for 10 shots. It's one of my training rifles that I use at various distances. It has held zero well so far with the Talley's on there.