Kimber Montana or mountain ascent

16Bore

WKR
Montana is soooo light that I'd spend the extra dough on something else. Ascent is diminishing returns in my opinion.

And I hate muzzle brakes.

With just a couple modifications, and not spending very much money to do them, you can get the Montana down to almost the weight of the Mountain Ascent. Skeletonized titanium bolt handle and aluminum trigger guard will cost you about $125, and shave about 3 oz. off the Montana. You still won't have the look of the fluted bolt/barrel and Optifade stock, but you'll have about $500 or so in your pocket to put towards glass. That being said, I love my MA, although, I'm not a fan of Optifade. Like 16Bore, I've never been a big fan of brakes,but it sure is sweet to shoot and it's accurate as hell. I also have two Montana's that I've customized a little and they are both extremely good shooters as well, although, I think that if they were all three the same caliber, and I could only choose one, I'd probably choose the MA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

matthewmt

WKR
Also curious on the Kimber hunter. Looks interesting for the price, 749$ at Cabela's 84m receiver match 22"barrel.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

16Bore

WKR
Yeah, but ain't my thing. Funny thing is I've been toting a 9# shotgun for turkeys without a thought about weight and the idea of my 8-1/2# M70 is "too much"

Rifles are silly.

Yeah, but ain't my thing. Funny thing is I've been toting a 9# shotgun for turkeys without a thought about weight and the idea of my 8-1/2# M70 is "too much"

Rifles are silly.

When a shotgun is always in your hands in steep terrain, weight starts to matter just like with rifles. 6 lb shotguns are all I want to carry most of the time.

Boreal

WKR
No, only the Mountain Ascent and Adirondack come threaded for a brake from the factory.

My Montana is factory threaded with a cap. No brake, but ready for one if I want it. 6.5 Creedmoor, so don't think it's necessary for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
The mountain ascents are cool but for 50% more money than a montana, they aren't worth it to me. I just got the montana in 308 and used the 500-600 I would have spent on the ascent to get a nicer scope, I'm very happy with the choice.

My montana came with a threaded barrel but I don't use it. I still may get a mountain ascent at some point but for now I'm glad I got the montana i think the ascent in 308 is 5oz lighter??? I can make up for what weight elsewhere.

elkguide

WKR
Great rifles. Tough choice.

I put better glass on each of my plain Montanas and still enjoy carrying my "heavy" Montanas.