Kimber Hunter or a Tikka T3X Superlite?

Gone4Days

WKR
I have a Hunter Pro in 308. It has a threaded barrel and comes with a radial brake. I really like it and if you decide to go Kimber look for a Hunter Pro in Desolve Blak.

OP
NilsBackstrom

NilsBackstrom

Lil-Rokslider
No issues with it. Didn’t get a scope for it before deer season opened so my dad threw on a Burris fullfield E1 and took it to the range. This group was with 129grn hornady sst he had loaded for another rifle. It’s almost boringly accurate out to 500yards.
If I could get that grouping right off the bat I would take the kimber without hesitation.

I am looking at a lightweight rifle in a lighter caliber like .308 or 6.5 CM to use mainly Sitka Blacktail deer. I have read tons about them and I have a regular T3x in .308 as well as a Kimber Montana in 300 WSM. I like them both. I just have really hard time making my mind on the next gun to get. I should that as of now I do not handload. Does anybody have an opinion on this that has tried both of them?

I am leaning more to a .308 for a little extra power. The ranges I usually shoot are between 50 and 500 yards. I like the idea of the hunter with its weight and shorter barrel. Obviously I have read some of horror stories regarding the rifle that is scaring me a bit. Love the Tikka even tho it is a little heavier and also has a longer barrel that I would shorten a bit in order to get thru the brush.

Please feel free to throw your opinion.
They are both good rifles with their own plusses and minuses.

If you're a bigger person, get the Tikka. If you're a smaller person, get the Kimber. That's my .02.

OP
NilsBackstrom

NilsBackstrom

Lil-Rokslider
They are both good rifles with their own plusses and minuses.

If you're a bigger person, get the Tikka. If you're a smaller person, get the Kimber. That's my .02
Yeah I hear you. Like always it is hard to find the perfect rifle, there will be compromises somewhere.

Was it you who did review on the savage lightweight storm? I have been eyeing that on as well. If you have handled the hunter and a superlite as well maybe you have some good pointers of comparison?

Harvey_NW

WKR
My Kimber got replaced with Tikkas. They are smooth actions but they can be a gamble in terms of accuracy. One thing to consider is if you're reloading and you plan on going further down the rabbit hole of building that perfect custom, you can order a screw in barrel for the Tikka.

Yeah I hear you. Like always it is hard to find the perfect rifle, there will be compromises somewhere.

Was it you who did review on the savage lightweight storm? I have been eyeing that on as well. If you have handled the hunter and a superlite as well maybe you have some good pointers of comparison?
I did. That is my go-to rifle nowdays. I owned four Tikkas and they all shot lights-out, but they are longer than I want and the newer Savage stocks fit me much better. I also like the Accutrigger quite a bit. Plus I have all the tools to rebarrel my Savages and I've become very familiar with working on them.

But I won't throw any shade on the Tikka. They are great rifles. I just never bonded with any of the ones I owned.

The Hunter I've handled a fair amount and I've shot one. Feels like a toy to me but I'm a big guy. I just didn't care for the fit mostly. Some guys will prefer that over the Tikka or my Savages. All are good rifles that will shoot sub-MOA if using the right ammo.

My Kimber got replaced with Tikkas. They are smooth actions but they can be a gamble in terms of accuracy. One thing to consider is if you're reloading and you plan on going further down the rabbit hole of building that perfect custom, you can order a screw in barrel for the Tikka.
This is a legit consideration for the home brew gunsmith. I very nearly bought the tools to break apart my Tikkas. But at the end of the day, it was the stock and overall length I didn't care for. Something about running a short action cartridge in a long action that doesn't sit well with me. Plus I like barrels shorter than 22.3" and I couldn't bring myself to chop down a Tikka barrel. Not sure why. Hard to explain but I'm happy with what I have now.

Jsaw87

FNG
If I could get that grouping right off the bat I would take the kimber without hesitation.
Now I just need to find one in 280AI. I was looking at the Savage lightweight storm, Tikka T3X superlite and the Kimber hunter pro. The weight (just over 5lbs with the gel in the stock removed) and the threaded barrel and brake on the Kimber made it worth taking a chance on especially at 900$.

I owned a Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor that shot five shots of Precision Hunter repeatably into sub inch. It was quite accurate for what it was. I also currently own a Tikka. I prefer the three position safety of the Kimber but the smooth operation of the Tikka. My Hunter would also occasionally misfeed out of the magazine. For shooting prone at distance (for me, that’s 4-500 yards) I prefer the Tikka. It fits me better in that position. For still hunting in the whitetail woods with the gun in my hand, I prefer the Hunter. A small, light, maneuverable package. Not that a tikka isn’t light, but those 84Ms are pretty darn small in general, as already mentioned. That’s a plus to me for some situations, but a negative in others. I might consider the type of hunting you’re doing to help make the choice. The Tikka is easier for me to shoot further, but if further doesn’t interest you the Hunter is pretty nice for in the hands and in the thickets. I also shot my Hunter at 400 and could hold MOA, but the Tikka does it easier for me.

I have a Hunter Pro in 308. It has a threaded barrel and comes with a radial brake. I really like it and if you decide to go Kimber look for a Hunter Pro in Desolve Blak.

I just ordered one of these after fondling one at the store. I have a Montana in 223 and a Hunter in 6.5 CM and the ergos flat work for me. I've had a Tikka superlight in 308 for years and it's a great rifle but I've never been completely happy with the stock, even after trying B&C and T3x stocks.

OP
NilsBackstrom

NilsBackstrom

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for all your inputs. I wish I had a chance to check all the rifles side by side, unfortunately I don't have that ability here in Alaska. I know it would make me more comfortable with my choice.

I will see what I end up trying to get, sorta depends if a I find a deal somewhere. But again I truly appreciate all your inputs.

I guess I could say that if I found a hunter pro that was used and was shooting good groupings with it, I would more than likely get that one. Buying one new and potentially spending the money on ammo trying to figure our what works scares me a bit.

I am looking at a lightweight rifle in a lighter caliber like .308 or 6.5 CM to use mainly Sitka Blacktail deer. I have read tons about them and I have a regular T3x in .308 as well as a Kimber Montana in 300 WSM. I like them both. I just have really hard time making my mind on the next gun to get. I should that as of now I do not handload. Does anybody have an opinion on this that has tried both of them?

I am leaning more to a .308 for a little extra power. The ranges I usually shoot are between 50 and 500 yards. I like the idea of the hunter with its weight and shorter barrel. Obviously I have read some of horror stories regarding the rifle that is scaring me a bit. Love the Tikka even tho it is a little heavier and also has a longer barrel that I would shorten a bit in order to get thru the brush.

Please feel free to throw your opinion.
Pretty tough to narrow down between those, both perfect for Blacktail hunting, both nice rifles

Thank you for all your replies. Really great advice.

Clearly I'm on a budget based on the rifles I have mentioned and not looking to spend more than 1000 bucks.

The gun will mainly be used for blacktail on prince of Wales Island in SE Alaska. As always when looking for rifles it is tough to find one that check all the boxes on a budget.

I want it to be light, barrel length 20 or 22 inches, take down a deer out to 500 yards if it has to. Deer hunting changes drastically from early season when it is mainly alpine hunting, to later in the season when it is more brush hunting.

The reliability and CQ of the kimber scares me, also the picky ammo. On the other hand my montana is great.

My t3x I have nothing bad to say about at all except I wish it was lighter.

I do have boatloads of 308 ammo and hence I was sort of looking at the same caliber as well as I know I can get more of it. 6.5 is tougher on the island and I will check the availability of 7mm-08. Thank you for the tip.

I guess if I went with the 6.5 I superlite I would cut it down as far as I could.
I had a hunter in 7-08 and I thought it was a little nicer rifle than my tikkas, and shot as well. I liked the safety on the hunter… I still like tikka a bunch and would have a hard time with your choice… I wouldn’t worry about the kimber though, the hunters I have been around have all been shooters

I had a Kimber 84M Classic and Montana, both in 308. They were both handy little hunting rifles, but neither was especially accurate. All of my Tikkas have shot exceptionally well and have fed reliably. I can’t argue with the results.

“Only accurate rifles are interesting”

- Col. Townsend Whelen. (or maybe not)

OP
NilsBackstrom

NilsBackstrom

Lil-Rokslider
I had a Kimber 84M Classic and Montana, both in 308. They were both handy little hunting rifles, but neither was especially accurate. All of my Tikkas have shot exceptionally well and have fed reliably. I can’t argue with the results.

“Only accurate rifles are interesting”

- Col. Townsend Whelen. (or maybe not)
Thank you for your input.

Yeah I can really make up my mind on this. If it was specs alone I would go for the Kimber. It is the stories about the non shooters that make me worried. Like I said before, I have a montana in 300 wsm that shoots great. But also heard stories like your own about the hunter primarily.

They happen to have a hunter pro at my local store. I am thinking about buying it and hoping it will be a shooter. Otherwise you will see one in the classifieds not before long.b

I’d take a hard pass on the 308. Depending on which ammo your rifle likes, your 500 yards goal will be at it’s upper limits. The 6.5 CM the I’ll give you another 150-200 yards.

Do strongly recommend that you compare the ballistics between the two. The 308 isn’t “all that”. The 7mm-08 is a strong contender as well.

Don’t have a Kimber but do have several Tikkas and they’ve all been boringly accurate and reliable. But shoulder as many as you can as fit is important as well.

Edit: Forgot about the good ole 270 Win. It’s a good option as well.

Last edited:
OP
NilsBackstrom

NilsBackstrom

Lil-Rokslider
I’d take a hard pass on the 308. Depending on which ammo your rifle likes, your 500 yards goal will be at it’s upper limits. The 6.5 CM the I’ll give you another 150-200 yards.

Do strongly recommend that you compare the ballistics between the two. The 308 isn’t “all that”. The 7mm-08 is a strong contender as well.

Don’t have a Kimber but do have several Tikkas and they’ve all been boringly accurate and reliable. But shoulder as many as you can as fit is important as well.

Edit: Forgot about the good ole 270 Win. It’s a good option as well.
Thank you for your input.

Yeah heard all about the 6.5, never shot one. I guess it is mainly deer I will be using it for. So I guess I am trying to interpret your claim how I gain 150-200 yard? Because the 308 will have plenty of energy. Obviously it will drop more than the 6.5. I will be using a leupold with CDS so not to concerned there.

sargent

WKR
If light and handy is your priority, check out this kimber hunter build thread.

I was looking for a compact, lightweight .308 and this thread inspired me to go with the hunter and do some modifications. My current setup weighs just over 6 pounds scoped, is less than 38" long, and shoots sub-MOA with premium factory ammo.

sndmn11

WKR
You could buy a pre-fit barrel for the Tikka, the wrench and vise, and still have money left over for a lighter stock for it.

Then you can pick your cartirdge, barrel length, barrel weight, fluting, etc., And swap in a few minutes between .308 and your new cartridge.