Kifaru

GKPrice

Banned
So, IF I were to "drink the kool aid" and pony up for a Kifaru just WHICH one would I chose ?? when I look at the choices I get dizzy (sort of) - I don't backpack anymore and have meatpacks that excel for that chore so it's kinda like I would want a DEPENDABLE pack in the realm of that "other one" mentioned 2 threads down, a nice "hunting" pack that could bring a "wet load" in after the kill - "MAYBE" a 1 or 2 nighter too, just to be prudent but just the bare pack as "lids", "slides", etc .... can apparently be added at any time

I got the Tahr out of the Rhino Den for around $150. It's 3400 stock. I added the Guide lid, couple spotter pouches on the sides, 2 large belt pouches down the middle, and a small belt pouch on the belt. I'm some where around 6000 ci.

This compresses well, very well actually and has a meat shelf, if you feel the straps aren't already enough to haul a load out.

I think all the Kifaru packs compress quite well, and I would imagine will be hard to beat for hauling a load out.

I have used many other packs, day packs, frame packs, designated meat haulers..... None that I had compare to this Duplex frame on the Kifaru.

I will try to get some pics of my set up compressed.

I like the guide lid, cause I keep everything from day pack mode in it, so I can quick detach it and run with it, or plan to hunt that day with it if I'm not gonna get too far from the camp.

I have my set up so all my gear goes outside the pack, and all the meat goes inside and it doesn't venture too far out from my back creating strain.

There is an Argali in the Rhino Den I am looking at for longer stays (7-10) and I am also looking hard at the AMR.

My Tahr is perfect for up to 7, but I use it as a day pack- well organizable with the add on pouches, pockets and lid.

d07768311cad9440c6631f5659b28fc9.jpg
65932344e47416be972426a48dd61d0e.jpg
45ccd75d7272186bcfe1590abb1af17c.jpg
fd7e45024ed1ceb1c2decc78b1c9d381.jpg
ee3ba88c48f09642586c0b45929f5d00.jpg

Frito

Lil-Rokslider
I think it would be a good idea to look at some of the newer offerings such as the Reconing and the Woodsman. These packs are basically the product of years of customer feedback, as all Kifaru offerings are , based off of the most used and popular models. The same goes for the newer internal frame designs like the Tarryall and 14'r, depending on just what role you want the pack to fill. You say you have a dedicated meat hauler, but something like the Woodsman on a Duplex frame would probably haul meat as good or better than anything out there and would still be very useful as just a day hunting pack....or just about anything really, short of a 4 or 5 day trip depending on how you pack and camp.

Frito

Lil-Rokslider
If you do decide to drink the Kool Aid, you ain't gonna be able to drink just one glass. It's kinda like those Natural White Cheddar Cheetos....I dare you not to like em'!

1signguy

WKR
Nomad is what I just bought and you can add a camp bag for additional space. I have already got a Timberline 1.
I purchased the Nomad because of all of the flexibility it provides.

twall13

WKR
I may be going down the wrong road on this but my take is that the Kifaru platform excels at comfort under heavy loads. If you don't want it for a hauler, just for a daypack that can pack out a first heavy load I'd look at Exo Mountain. All of my reading tells me the Exo frame moves better with you for a daypack setup but will still haul weight well.

Now, having said all of this, let me state that I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a Kifaru frame myself. I plan on putting Exo bags on it as I love the layout of their bags but the Exo frame is a bit short for my long torso. So I'm basically telling you to do the opposite of what I plan on doing but I think we have different intentions for our packs. Obviously a lot of the guys on here have more experience using the Kifaru packs and that should count for more than my opinion from research alone. No question about it Kifaru makes nice gear and they certainly have something to fit your needs, but I'm not sure it's necessarily the best for your particular needs.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd look at the Woodsman! I have the 22 mag for day runs and the Reckoning for any overnight or extended outings. If I didn't already have a 22 mag I would have bought the new woodsman, just to get the extra space for a couple overnight runs if needed. When your looking at the bags, look at how easy it is to carry what you want to carry. Like for me, I like my tripod and spotter run on opposite sides strapped towards the outside where I can get to them quickly, preferably without unbuckling too much, so I like the sewn in side pockets of the Reckoning, 22 mag, and timberlines. Some would rather have their scope in the bag and just run pockets on the outside. Super flexibility among the line!

dotman

WKR
It really is hard to give you an idea of what you would like without knowing features you prefer in a bag being stated but that may also answer your own question and narrow your list down. Kifaru is great in that there is a pack that will suit everyone's needs but I have used most of their bags in a quest to figure out what I prefer. Just throwing out what I prefer may not help you as you may prefer different qualities in a bag.

I do recommend the UL duplex with arrows for your frame based on the first post.

Do you need to constantly be moving larger or bulky items in and out of your bag?
Do you prefer to access your bag through the top, a center zip or have a back panel that folds down?
Do you mainly need access to small items constantly?
Do you like a modular or fixed design?
Do you want a load shelf or ability to place meat in the bag only?
Do you pack a spotting scope and tripod?
Do you need a lid with capacity or will a fold over lid work?
What weight will you carry 90% of the time?
Do you prefer your water bladder inside or outside the bag?

There are a ton of questions that can lead you to the optimal setup :)

Last edited:

HOT ROD

WKR
How about a kifaru frame. Of Ur choice of chores. And just the cargo panel... With sum pockets attached... What ever size U need for Ur day hunt... And a dry bag if U decide on a day or two... JMO

I may be going down the wrong road on this but my take is that the Kifaru platform excels at comfort under heavy loads. If you don't want it for a hauler, just for a daypack that can pack out a first heavy load I'd look at Exo Mountain. All of my reading tells me the Exo frame moves better with you for a daypack setup but will still haul weight well.

Now, having said all of this, let me state that I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a Kifaru frame myself. I plan on putting Exo bags on it as I love the layout of their bags but the Exo frame is a bit short for my long torso. So I'm basically telling you to do the opposite of what I plan on doing but I think we have different intentions for our packs. Obviously a lot of the guys on here have more experience using the Kifaru packs and that should count for more than my opinion from research alone. No question about it Kifaru makes nice gear and they certainly have something to fit your needs, but I'm not sure it's necessarily the best for your particular needs.

This is my opinion as well. I personally liked the Exo frame much better for daily wear. With that said I have a Kifaru because I do week plus trips and I carry a lot crap.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
So, IF I were to "drink the kool aid" and pony up for a Kifaru just WHICH one would I chose ?? when I look at the choices I get dizzy (sort of) - I don't backpack anymore and have meatpacks that excel for that chore so it's kinda like I would want a DEPENDABLE pack in the realm of that "other one" mentioned 2 threads down, a nice "hunting" pack that could bring a "wet load" in after the kill - "MAYBE" a 1 or 2 nighter too, just to be prudent but just the bare pack as "lids", "slides", etc .... can apparently be added at any time

George, you are nuts for asking that question on this forum.:) Good luck in your research and I'm sure you'll find something that will do ya well. There are a lot of choices to look at. I have been running the exo for the last couple of years but just bought an EMRII-----looking forward to trying that out this spring (if it ever gets here) chasing bears.

Randy

oldgoat

WKR
I have a Nomad and love it's versatility, all the straps can be daunting at first, but I quickly figured out how to manage them and take advantage of them. I keep one side pretty short and use the strap keepers on, the other side I keep long so when I have a big load they are adjusted out all the way, then when in daypack mode the long tag end gets put back through the tabs on the side of the pack so they aren't flapping in the breeze. Lids and hip pockets are invaluable for stuff you access a lot. Do some search function on here for pocket arrangements. If you get the right one and get it dialed in adjustment wise and don it correctly, I'll bet you good money your other packs get relegated to the loaner category. Another sweet thing about these packs, is you can have more than one bag for different scenarios to put on the one frame!