Kifaru woobie/doobie

Lawnboi

WKR
Well im already set on getting a 20 degree slick bag for my fall/spring/warmer winter bag, but now i got to thinking, in the summer maybe i could run one of the kifaru quilts for warmer trips.

Just wondering if anyone has tried this, any idea on temp ratings of the 2.

It seems like a perfect concept, in warmer months i always end up using my bag as a quilt. This would be a cheap, durable and effective way sleep in the warmer months i think. Not to mention its pretty darn light.

Im small enought to where these are more than big enough for me.

I also wonder if the dobbie would get me down to near where the 20 degree slick bag would. This would be for early season hunts and all around summer camping, maybe i could just get the dobbie, and save my marmot lithium for those really cold months. Im really liking the idea of a quilt mainly because im a stomach sleeper and i like to stick my arms out of my bag.

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
From what i am reading on the Kifaru forums the doobie is basically the same weight as the 20* slick. If this is the case i may just dump the idea of the slick all together and get the doobie for an everything 3.5 season bag. The price sure seems nice! And im starting to like the principal of being able to stretch out my arms if i want.

Im a warm sleeper and i can always layer up with my puffy jacket and some extra baselayers if i get cold, but Im hoping that the dobbie will hold its own in 20+- degree temps.

warm weather is just one more reason to get a sleeping bag with a full length zipper,there dosnt seem to be much of a weight advantage of a woobi or doobi over a 20 deg. bag
Tim

cmeier117

WKR
I would like to know more on this as well. I have a Quilt I am testing now and another from Z packs that shipped today.

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
warm weather is just one more reason to get a sleeping bag with a full length zipper,there dosnt seem to be much of a weight advantage of a woobi or doobi over a 20 deg. bag
Tim

Except the price, for 175 thats a whole heck of alot less then a quality 20deg or so bag. I dont really want a down bag either, as far as synthetic goes its light enough imo 2lbs 2oz. With a mummy style bag i always end up unziping it 1/8 way so i can stick my arms out and stetch.

Another reason im choosing synthetic (specifically Kifaru) over down is durability. im in a floorless shelter, and a few areas i hunt are extremely sharp and dry. Along with the fact that i use a stove. i cringe when my 500dollar down bag rubs on the ground, or gets near that red hot stove. Its a down filled shelter waiting to happen.

I think im going to give it a try. Shoot for 175 i cant go wrong! Worst case senario is i get cold, and fire up the wood stove, or go get my marmot lithium and roast

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
I would like to know more on this as well. I have a Quilt I am testing now and another from Z packs that shipped today.

Im going to try it, im ordering as we speak. Ill let you know how i like it. I have a few fishing trips planned, hopefully we get some cooler weather!

i know i dont need a multicam sleeping bag for man for 17 bucks more that sure looks sweet!!!

littlebuf

Banned
get the camo.that way bigfoot cant see you while your sleeping.thats when he like to look at you.....

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I use the wobbie on almost every backpacking trip I go on.

If it's cold as hell in the morning I will bring it with me and wrap myself up in it while I'm behind the spotting scope.

It goes in the pack with me almsot everywhere during season as it can be used to keep me warm if I get jammed up and stuck away from camp over night.

When the temps drop you can stick it inside your sleeping bag and add a huge comfort rating to your normal bags temp.

When going extreme UL, I will bring just a bivy and the wobbie.

It's a great piece of gear!

ridgefire

WKR
i have looked at these in the kifaru catalogues and wondered what people use these for but see a person could use it for multiple reasons.

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
The woobie is 1lb 4oz, and the doobie which is just thicker, is 2lb 2oz. From what i read the woobie is comparable to the 40*slick insulation, and the doobie to the 20*.

Thats another good point, not only will this be my sleeping bag, but i can also wrap up in it while im glassing. Serves dual purposes, thats always nice.

Im thinking the paratarp+annex+parastove, doobie, zlite and neolite is going to be a pretty sweet UL shelter for archery season! This setup is most likly what ill be using this year. For nov mulies ill most likly take along my marmot lithium and doobie to have something to wrap up in at camp, and while glassing.

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
I figured id bring this back up after spending a couple nights in the backyard in the doobie.

When i first got it I was pretty skeptical about how warm it would keep me, its pretty thin. I also wish i would have gotten it in multicam!!! But CB looks alright too, better then those purple and orange mountaineering co bags.

The doobie had little paracord loops all over it. I ended up folding it over (so its like a square sleeping bag) and tieing a few of the loops together on the lower half.

I then stuffed the foot end into the attached stuffsac (which i may cut off) and pulled the drawcord tight to create a good seal at the foot end as thats the only place i ever get cold. With it folded in half it worked really well for me, but if i was a bigger guy it would definetly not work. For me though it was pretty roomy.

Now i spent 2 nights in it. The first night it got down to 38, i was warm, only baselayers on, no hat, and i didnt even cover my head with it. The next night got down to 30. I was still warm, wearing a tshirt and shorts. I had to bundle up a little around the head, but i didnt even have to wear a hat yet.

The fabric drapes really well, and seems to conform to the body rather than leaving big cold gaps in the bag.

Granted im a warm sleeper thanks to a very fast metabolism, but this thing really suprised me at how warm it was.

its really comfy with a pillow too, now im thinking of getting one to take with me. And no more having my arms trapped. If i get uncomfortable i can stick my arms out and stretch, and when they get cold i bring them back in. I liked it much more then a mummy, i like to sleep with my arm under my head.

vegas hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Glad I found this thread. I have been thinking this was a good idea. Wanted to use the Woobie to supplement my sleeping bag on cold nights as I currently use 2 sleeping bags for cold weather camping at the truck. Seems the Woobie with a 20* slick would be perfect. I hate freezing my cajones all night in camp!

millsms

FNG
I'm looking at the woobie or doobie setup for summer scouting, not sure until i try it how i would like it for fall yet...my question is after having some more use it what do you think? Also i can't decide between the woobie or doobie, probably the woobie is more versatile but how warm would it really be. I'm 6'2 195 so length wise i think it should be ok!

ken

FNG
Generally speaking I can get down around 32 with my Woobie, baselayers and a hat. The Doobie gets me down into the 20's. In the low 20's I'll likely be wearing my Microtex pants and shirt also. Maybe even my Kifaru vest/sleeves. Much colder than that its time for my 0 deg. MOB. It's too bad they dont make those anymore....

Trout bum

Lil-Rokslider
Love my Woobie. I use it for outings where it is not forecasted to get below 40 degrees or so. I use it in my bivy as well sometimes. You can also fold it over and use the loops to make a bag. It is large enough for many uses (I am 6 '2'' 195lbs). Drape it around you on cool mornings or while glassing. Tougher than it looks.

millsms

FNG
Appreciate the Feedback guys...looks like Kifaru will suck some more money from my account :)