Kifaru wind river jacket

Ucsdryder

WKR
I got lucky and won a kifaru wind river jacket in the cold bore challenge. As a way to give back to rokslide, the sponsor, and members that might be considering the jacket, I decided to do a quick review (good idea @sndmn11).

This is a piece of equipment I’d have never considered buying on my own. It’s not cost prohibitive, at 100 dollars, but it just seems a little “nichey”.

Here’s an in depth review by @mtwarden.

First impressions…
It’s tiny. When the package arrived it felt empty. It folds into its own pocket, and could compress significantly more if the pocket was smaller. It has one front pocket which is annoying, I wish it had 2…for 2 hands!

Waterproof…
I had high hopes for this jacket to be at least water resistant. It is…for about 30 seconds. Then the water starts to seep through. In a pinch it would work better than no raincoat.

Windproof…
Yep, as advertised!

Scouting….
Due to its small size and weight I decided to throw it in my pack as an emergency jacket. I also had my packable down puffy, but I use that if the shit hits the fan. Otherwise it’s too warm.

On this scouting trip the clouds moved in, the wind picked up and the 55 degree temperatures got chilly in a hurry. I decided to give the wind river a try, having only a merino T-shirt on.

I must say I was impressed. It stopped the wind and retained enough body heat to keep me comfortable. Not only does it work as a wind breaker, being an ultra light, ultra packable jacket it fills the voids between light layers and a puffy when extra clothes are scarce.

Final impressions…
Is it worth $100? That’s for someone else to decide. Is it going to be a staple in my pack? Absolutely. While it seemed “nichey” at first, I think it’ll get used a lot more than I previously thought because it will always be with me. It’s hard to use something that gets left in the truck because of size and weight!

And no review is complete without pictures! For all you out of staters that will be convinced there are no elk in Colorado after your September hunts, here’s proof that they do exist.

@robby denning and @Justin Crossley, what do you think about requiring any challenge winner (cold bore, cold bow) to include a short review of the product they win as a way to give back to the sponsor for donating and roksliders who might be interested in the product?

IMG_3554.jpegIMG_3557.jpegIMG_3558.jpegIMG_3560.jpeg3AB0CA5E-5F08-4C0D-9B9E-6D68B62C4625.jpeg

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hey man, thanks for doing this. I love my wind river. I’m going on two seasons and other than a dicey starter tooth in the zipper that slows me down, I find this jacket, super versatile, and I wear it a lot.

I could do without the heavy Velcro on the single pocket…zip pockets on each side would be best IMO

reviews on gear members win are voluntary but we all appreciate it when they do them

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
Hey man, thanks for doing this. I love my wind river. I’m going on two seasons and other than a dicey starter tooth in the zipper that slows me down, I find this jacket, super versatile, and I wear it a lot.

I could do without the heavy Velcro on the single pocket…zip pockets on each side would be best IMO

reviews on gear members win are voluntary but we all appreciate it when they do them

Agreed on the Velcro. I forgot to mention that. I don’t think it needs anything, maybe a snap even.

How has yours held up? It’s very thin. I did a little bit of brush busting and the thought of ripping a hole in it crossed my mind more than once.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
A lot of where I hike and hunt is pretty dry so I'm likely not packing any rain gear. This lite wieght wind blocker always finds it's way into my pack during early season.
7e95f91700d0cb18a268acb35dc629ff.jpg

Sent from my SM-S926U using Tapatalk

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
A lot of where I hike and hunt is pretty dry so I'm likely not packing any rain gear. This lite wieght wind blocker always finds it's way into my pack during early season.
7e95f91700d0cb18a268acb35dc629ff.jpg

I use the Patagonia Houdini for this application. Have so for a looooong time. Is this piece more versatile? Not having two zip hand pockets is baffling to me.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use the Patagonia Houdini for this application. Have so for a looooong time. Is this piece more versatile? Not having two zip hand pockets is baffling to me.
Zippers add wieght and for holding things inside so they won't fall out.

The wind river doesn't really have any pockets except that they needed a place for the jacket to store into. Hence the heavy velcro to keep it compact and closed until the user deliberately opens it. I guess Kifaru could of used less velcro but the finished product would have looked less refined.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Zippers add wieght and for holding things inside so they won't fall out.

The wind river doesn't really have any pockets except that they needed a place for the jacket to store into. Hence the heavy velcro to keep it compact and closed until the user deliberately opens it. I guess Kifaru could of used less velcro but the finished product would have looked less refined.

Yeah that’s similar to Houdini. A single stash pocket that it packs into. I wish both had hand pockets with small zippers. My hands get cold easily though.

JohnnyB

WKR
My Wind River always finds a spot in my pack or my cargo pocket. I can use it with a base layer and not need a mid layer or pair it with my puffy for super cold nights. Easy to throw on while glassing and stash when moving.

Yes, it’s niche, but I feel like it makes my other layers more versatile.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Agreed on the Velcro. I forgot to mention that. I don’t think it needs anything, maybe a snap even.

How has yours held up? It’s very thin. I did a little bit of brush busting and the thought of ripping a hole in it crossed my mind more than once.
held up like a bomb. I wear it a lot!. only reason zipper is dicey is because I had it mostly unzipped and got it caught on a doorknob or something when i was walking, bent the first few teeth. But I worked with it and got it zipping again. That was last fall! It has one hole in the arm--barbed wired. Can't fault it for that.
@mtwarden how's yours holding up?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a few little nicks, but it’s fine.

I have gone back to my Black Diamond Alpine Start. It’s a little heavier, but the precip protection is better. Wind blocking and breathability pretty on par with the Wind River.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’m also using a Houdini and the one complaint I have is that there’s no stretch, how’s the wind river in that department?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do you have any experience with OR ferrosi?

I had one 4-5 years ago. It wasn't bad—breathed pretty well, shed light precip pretty well, more durable than the 4 oz (and less) ones, had some stretch, but at the end of the day I found the Alpine Start to be a little better and weighed half as much.

I had one 4-5 years ago. It wasn't bad—breathed pretty well, shed light precip pretty well, more durable than the 4 oz (and less) ones, had some stretch, but at the end of the day I found the Alpine Start to be a little better and weighed half as much.
My alpine start was gifted to some lucky person on my last mountain bike ride so i am looking at a replacement. Was trying to decide if I should give the black ovis Specter a try, or go for the ferrosi since it appears I missed the sale on the alpine start in the green color