Kifaru Wind River Jacket

Voyageur

WKR
Once some of you get your hands on the new Wind River jacket from Kifaru I would enjoy hearing your initial thoughts as well as reports from the field as to their performance.
Thanks.

Based on the description, it's a standard Nylon wind jacket. Very uncomplicated piece of gear and should perform roughly the same as anything else in that category: EE Copperfield, Patagonia Houdini, etc. They're nice for taking the edge off the wind or stretching a bit more warmth out of a fleece or puffy. I'm not sure what kind of voodoo they're using to get a 3.2 oz finished weight out of 30d nylon though, as that is lighter than all of the existing wind jackets while somehow using heavier fabric.

Edit:

Went and looked at the listing and it's listed as 4.1 oz for a large which still seems light for 30D, but not as unbelievable as the 3.2 number in the ad at least.

1670009411475.png

Last edited:
Any idea if this is waterproof at all? I’m assuming not based on it’s not mentioned as being at all anywhere.

I just emailed them and got an immediate response. It's 0.0% waterproof and would suck in anything but a very light rain.
That’s sucks. Guess I’ll keep using the Sitka flash pullover that’s only a few ounces more and very waterproof.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
size Large- 4.4 oz, pretty svelte :)
JEAiqUt.jpg

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Interesting my 2x is only slightly more.
76ceacc6d0f6026ea8841dc8e478de69.jpg

I had similar thoughts to Brock as I use my rain jacket to block the wind. It's definitely more convenient to pack, and here in the high desert rain is pretty predictable, so cutting wieght is always nice. I had it out last weekend in some serious wind and was impressed. I'll continue to see how it fits with my other gear and if I grab for it or a rain jacket when I head out.

Last edited:

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
That’s not much weight for + 2 sizes :D

I’ve found a windshirt can fill several roles and at that light weight, seems like a no brainer :)

Glendine

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting my 2x is only slightly more.
76ceacc6d0f6026ea8841dc8e478de69.jpg

I had similar thoughts to Brock as I use my rain jacket to block the wind. It's definitely more convenient to pack, and here in the high desert rain is pretty predictable, so cutting wieght is always nice. I had it out last weekend in some serious wind and was impressed. I'll continue to see how it fits with my other gear and if I grab for it or a rain jacket when I head out.
Out of curiosity how do you rate this jacket now?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've worn it a bunch
Out of curiosity how do you rate this jacket now?
I've been using it a bunch as it's convenient to take along and it works good at blocking the wind. I like it alot.
If I was only to take one on a trip that lasted several days, the rain jacket would for sure get the nod as it's more versatile

Glendine

Lil-Rokslider
I've worn it a bunch

I've been using it a bunch as it's convenient to take along and it works good at blocking the wind. I like it alot.
If I was only to take one on a trip that lasted several days, the rain jacket would for sure get the nod as it's more versatile
Many thanks for your reply.

Regards,
Glendine.