Kifaru Tut user reviews?

How's the Tut working for those that have them in the field already? The Good, Bad, Ugly? Interested to hear personal experiences with it. Thanks, Bill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Listening to the Gritty podcasts it sounds like it needs a liner option.

that was my thought but i dont think they will because Aron said its to keep it ultralight.IMO,every 6 feet+ shelters,liners should be an option.Like me living in Quebec(Canada)a liner is something you must have.64F in the day and 28F at night like this week,its shower time for sure.

Aron said they are working on a nest/bug with a floor for the Tut.

I have one. Used it about two weeks so far. Like it so much I'm selling my HMG Ultamid. I use an extra pole section to raise the perimeter off the ground for better ventilation. I have a half-nest made for me by John at Bear Paw, fits perfect. First time I used the Tut, condensation was a M***F***R. Had rained all day prior to arrival at camp, so all the grass and ground inside the Tut was soaked. It continued to rain for about 20 more hours after setting up. Moisture built up on inner walls, when the wind shook the tent even slightly, it dripped on me- just enough to be annoying. I used a sil-nylon poncho to cover the mesh of the Nest, problem solved.

When the rain stopped, I burned my MSR Windburner stove with the tent closed, but propped open the stove pipe jack. Tent was dry in about 30 or 40 minutes. I used the stove because there was no sign of the sun coming out.

It was muggy all week, but I had no further problems.

I like the option of raising the walls off the ground. This gives me the ventilation of a Megatarp, but I can lower it to the ground and still stand (near the pole) if necessary.

IMG_0046-L.jpg

IMG_0058-L.jpg

IMG_0051-L.jpg

These might help.

IMG_0029-L.jpg

IMG_0030-L.jpg

IMG_0032-L.jpg

I hope this helps, I guess I should start bringing my camera on trips.

Haven't used my stove in it yet. Been too warm.

Steve

The only thing holding me from pulling the trigger on the tut is that i want a liner

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

After seeing mrgreen's Tut with half nest I'm even more convinced this is the shelter I want. Looks like I could run it with a nest for local OK trips (bugs and such) then pull the nest and run it with a stove in CO chasing elk. Best of both worlds. Will probably dump my BA Copper Spur 2 for it.

I should add; I sold my Sawtooth w/liner for this. I have a S.O. 6man for non-solo trips. The Sawtooth was great, but for solo and ease of setup I'll never look back.

But, that's just me.

Steve

After seeing mrgreen's Tut with half nest I'm even more convinced this is the shelter I want. Looks like I could run it with a nest for local OK trips (bugs and such) then pull the nest and run it with a stove in CO chasing elk. Best of both worlds. Will probably dump my BA Copper Spur 2 for it.

You'll just have to buy another Copper Spur next year😭.

I've spent a handful of nights in the tut now. I have family that has the seek outside 8 man tepee and kifaru sawtooth and spent some time in both of those.

Initial impressions are that it is good. I've dabbled in sewing myself and that is likely the only reason but some of the stitching along the seam looks like the operator was on facebook with one hand and sewing with the other.

The mid level guy outs. Awesome to keep the walls more vertical. But not sure why they didn't go with a tensioner anchored to the tent. Like a lin loc or similar. I may add something or just continue to use the tautline hitch there.

If I could change one thing I would have made each side a foot longer. I know it's a tradeoff in weight and space needed to pitch etc but with 2 guys and a stuff another foot would be nice.

Here are a couple pics. The one on the inside kinda shows the snow on outside. It did fine with the snowload and also in the yellow grass it withstoof some sustained winds and 2 gusts that I thought might break the pole. It actually bent two of the stakes.

The mid level guy outs. Awesome to keep the walls more vertical. But not sure why they didn't go with a tensioner anchored to the tent. Like a lin loc or similar. I may add something or just continue to use the tautline hitch there.

I agree, I attached LineLocs at every tie out point. Makes it easier to raise it above ground for ventilation.

I've spent a handful of nights in the tut now. I have family that has the seek outside 8 man tepee and kifaru sawtooth and spent some time in both of those.

Initial impressions are that it is good. I've dabbled in sewing myself and that is likely the only reason but some of the stitching along the seam looks like the operator was on facebook with one hand and sewing with the other.

If I could change one thing I would have made each side a foot longer. I know it's a tradeoff in weight and space needed to pitch etc but with 2 guys and a stuff another foot would be nice.

Here are a couple pics. The one on the inside kinda shows the snow on outside. It did fine with the snowload and also in the yellow grass it withstoof some sustained winds and 2 gusts that I thought might break the pole. It actually bent two of the stakes.

Summed up my thoughts as well. Overall like it a lot, I had over foot of snow and didn't have an condensation issues until snow blocked out the bottoms. Even then wasn't bad even when snow melted off. Either light up the stove or open front door and dries out quick

One of the faster tents to pitch also.

Back