Kifaru Slick Bag

AOW1

FNG
I need a little help guys. I'm looking to go synthetic this year and I've narrowed it down to a Kifaru Slick bag or an Enlightened Equipment Prodigy quilt. I'm kind of a big guy at 6 foot 5 inches and 265 pounds and we hunt mostly the last two weeks of September in Colorado. I've been racking my brain over this one and could use some outside opinions. Thanks guys.

Grumman

WKR
I am far from an expert so take this for a grain of salt. I've got a 0 degree Slikbag that I have been happy with. If it's warm outside I just unzip the center zipper and flip the bag over on top of me like a quilt. If it's cold then I have the option to get in it like it's intended. To me it is pretty versatile other than the size and weight which the quilt will have the major advantage there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm 6'1" 250 and just ordered a long wide -20 slick bag. Should have it late next week or early the next. I know I'm shorter but could give you some size reference once I've got it. I was torn on the wide or not since the regular is only 2" narrower than my current bag.

Fairly "short" at 6' and 240# but I love my 20* regular length, wide width Slick Bag. I also run it open as a quilt or zipped up nicely for colder temps. Wide width should be fine for you. I've got a 52" chest and 38" waist and there's plenty of wiggle room for me. A regular width would probably work but I like the extra room.

molon labe

OP
A

AOW1

FNG
That would be great RiverReaper, I appreciate it and I appreciate all the input guys.

OP
A

AOW1

FNG
I had my mind made up on getting the Slick bag long/wide but so many of my friends use quilts and tell me they wI'll never go back to a bag.

I tried the quilt but it was such a mess trying to get it sealed up right with straps and perfect positioning to keep cold drafts. Seems like every time I repositioned or rolled over the quilt "opened up" somewhere and I had cold air coming in. Major pain and sleepless nights pushed me towards the slick. Haven't had a problem with the slick yet and don't ever see myself going back to one.

molon labe

OP
A

AOW1

FNG
That sums up my concerns with using a quilt perfectly. The only reason I'm even considering a quilt is my size and it seems the quilt would definitely be more comfortable for me. Other than that, I'm definitely leaning toward the Slick.

I got my slick bag Friday just in time to try it out scouting this weekend. As with all kifaru stuff it is top notch and very comfortable. I am glad I got the long wide for sure. Although it was definitely warm for this time of year.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I use EE quilt and have a 20 degree Slick bag. Both have their places. I love the quilt because its ultralight but am much more confident with my wellbeing with the Slick bag. Its bombproof. Even if it gets wet you'll stay warm. I use my quilt with a ultralight Bivy so I make sure the quilt doesn't get wet. Make sure you get one that breathes well. The Slick bag is heavier but you get a lot of security with it as the material Kifaru uses you don't have to be so careful with it. I normally gauge what I will take by the weather Im expecting. Hope that helps or it may make you want to buy both =)