Kifaru Parka

LPP has landed!

E579BB2A-E919-42D3-B514-BBA5C2541236_zpslfqehbpo.jpg

I'm 6'2" and about 90kgs. Long torso and arms.

First impressions:
- LOVE the cut. I never planned on needing to layer this jacket and the fit is fairly snug. Great slim fit on arms and torso.
- Good length for those longer gentlemen. If you are over six feet you will be pleasantly surprised by the length. I would say it's suitable to at least dudes at 6'5".
- Warm and cosy.
- lightweight
- Very well made. Reinforced elbows all the way down the forearm.
- Super warm and snug kangaroo pouch for the hands.
- The zip off hood is very easy to take on and off. Hood size and function is perrrrfect.
- A little bulky, but that is the trade off for warmth and function.
- If I could change anything, it would be to bring back the kangaroo zipper pouch from the old model. I really need a place to keep the hood when unzipped or to place my loose things. Would love to see that feature come back.
- Not too loud (for those who bow hunt.) I feel like you could use it in a stand or blind without any real issues.

Oh and I think at this price point and quality, a small and basic stuff sack would be a great inclusion. Charge a little more if needed, but that would be a classy touch.

LPP has landed!

I'm 6'2" and about 90kgs. Long torso and arms.

First impressions:
- LOVE the cut. I never planned on needing to layer this jacket and the fit is fairly snug. Great slim fit on arms and torso.
- Good length for those longer gentlemen. If you are over six feet you will be pleasantly surprised by the length. I would say it's suitable to at least dudes at 6'5".
- Warm and cosy.
- lightweight
- Very well made. Reinforced elbows all the way down the forearm.
- Super warm and snug kangaroo pouch for the hands.
- The zip off hood is very easy to take on and off. Hood size and function is perrrrfect.
- A little bulky, but that is the trade off for warmth and function.
- If I could change anything, it would be to bring back the kangaroo zipper pouch from the old model. I really need a place to keep the hood when unzipped or to place my loose things. Would love to see that feature come back.
- Not too loud (for those who bow hunt.) I feel like you could use it in a stand or blind without any real issues.

Sorry if I missed it, but what size did you go with?

Thanks,

Paul

Got my XL today. I also have the original Packlock in XL. The new jacket has a more athletic cut for sure but not super noticeable. It is a thicker jacket than my original Packlock Parka which is the standard vs. Arctic model. It feels like it will be warmer for sure. Seems like it will be more windproof and water proof as well because the outer material is tougher. I've always been afraid of tearing my orig Packlock. Think I'll keep both.

Just got my parka. I've got to say im pretty excited about this puffy. The fit is perfect ( I got a Large and im 6'3" 160) and the cordura on the sleeves is a great idea. I usually run a little on the cold side too and it seems very warm.

Looking forward to putting it through hell this year!

Bruce, can't give you an exact low temp rating but it worked well with a long sleeve merino & jetstream beanie in temps down to 20 for me. It happily replaced my Sitka Kelvin jacket.

molon labe

So what kinda cold will this be good to?

This might get you down to 40*

In all seriousness it's probably the warmest jacket I've ever held of it's kind. A buddies wife bought him one and I'm not sure when he is ever going to be able to use it in California. It's substantially warmer then my FL puffy, and warmer then my older kelvin. Keep in mind I just wore it for 15-20 minutes down at the pier. It. blocks the wind tremendously. But it does have some downfalls as well. I was planning on getting one but I will probably pass now.

This might get you down to 40*

In all seriousness it's probably the warmest jacket I've ever held of it's kind. A buddies wife bought him one and I'm not sure when he is ever going to be able to use it in California. It's substantially warmer then my FL puffy, and warmer then my older kelvin. Keep in mind I just wore it for 15-20 minutes down at the pier. It. blocks the wind tremendously. But it does have some downfalls as well. I was planning on getting one but I will probably pass now.

I've been thinking of getting one of these. What kind of downfalls are you referring to. I've never seen one in person, so any input would be appreciated.

I've been thinking of getting one of these. What kind of downfalls are you referring to. I've never seen one in person, so any input would be appreciated.

It's pretty bulky, but again is warm. The inner sleeve comes out the end of the sleeve cuff and you have to shove it back in, reminds me of those cheap NFL windbreakers with the white lining that did the same. the kangaroo pocket is a little to big for my liking and would have been even better if they added zips to each opening like the Sitka Dakota hoody, as anything you put in there will fall out immediately. I understand it's to accommodate the hip belt, but I think that's a dumb idea. And the draw cord for the Hem pisses me off and felt like an after thought on the jacket. If you pull it tight it gets long and in the way right next to your front pants pocket. Again small not picks but just what I noticed.

But my main reason is the price compared to how much I see myself using it. The size of it packed would make me choose something like my FL puffy, or my arcteryx puffy before this because I don't need something this warm for how and when I hunt. If I lived somewhere that actually had a winter or if I ever did any late season hunts I would own it. But for me it's to much coat. Now that doesn't mean I won't talk myself into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
tipsntails you are right, in a cold climate, the parka is worth the money. I use it not only on my hunts, but also when doing outside chores and even walking around campus on cold blustery days.

The parka really cuts the wind. I have also found that the removable hood makes an awesome pot cozy when rehydrating meals. Lol.

I almost lost mine when my brother in law moved to Montana from Arizona early last spring. He had to qualify on an outdoor range for his new police dept and would have probably tapped out without the parka.

Back