Kifaru pack No No's and tips on fit.

crumy

WKR
Ok. I may be committing a pack sin so want to ask. I have a LOT of gap between shoulders and straps. Like you can pot a baseball in between gap. No weight on shoulders obviously and I have been carry 65-70 on training hikes. Good bad or in different.?

OP
cmeier117

cmeier117

WKR
That is too much gap I think. I want to be able to raise my hands above my head and not be lifting any weight if that makes sense. I am out camping now but can post a quick video when I get back.

Patrick

FNG
eltaco, i try to tell folks to place the belt's center line on the hip bone POINTS, not the TOPS. The points are further around toward your navel, and an inch and a quarter lower than the tops. So, yes, you very likely are running your pack too high. (Note: these "points" are notoriously the hot spots on most pack belts, and I've addressed them specifically in building comfortable pack belts.)

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thanks for posting this... great info.

First and foremost, I saw on the Kifaru videos that the hip belt should be dead center at the top of my hip bones. When I do this, it feels like the lumbar pad is riding too high into my back. Is it more critical to get the belt this high, or position the lumbar pad where it sits in the small of your back? An inch or three makes a big difference in how the shoulder straps and 3-bar sliders sit. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the video...

I'm working on getting mine setup and found that my 3-bar sliders were closer to the top stitching. When I adjust them down to center they're well below my collar bone. Sounds like I have some work to do.

Give me a call and we'll run through everything.

Buster

WKR
Waiting on my bikini, estimated shipping date is in a couple weeks. Does it come with the DVD mentioned above? More importantly, does it cover all the points in the opening post, or should I just print this thread right now?

shaun

WKR
Waiting on my bikini, estimated shipping date is in a couple weeks. Does it come with the DVD mentioned above? More importantly, does it cover all the points in the opening post, or should I just print this thread right now?

The videos he is talking about are on Viemo and You Tube. Click on the video link on home page I believe there is a few videos on this stuff.

Buster

WKR
Thanks Shawn, procrastinated too long this summer and ordered late July. Looking like I'll be getting it a week before the season opens. Gonna need to dial it in quickly.

RyanC

WKR
Great post!! I received my Bikini frame T1 and have been playing around with it to find the perfect fit. This thread has answered a lot of my questions even after watching as many videos as I could find on vimeo and youtube.

The top of my 3 bar slider sits right at the bottom edge of my collar bone and seems to feel pretty good. So far the pack feels great! It will be getting a work out for the next 2-3 weeks in the Brooks Range so trying to get things dialed.

Ryan

OP
cmeier117

cmeier117

WKR
One thing about these packs is the waist belt. Biggest difference from any other pack on the market. I also agree with Patrick on where the center stitch line is on your hips.

Also the packs come darn near close to perfect but if your like me and have different height shoulders you have to tweak one shoulder strap a squeeze out that last bit of comfort.

OP
cmeier117

cmeier117

WKR
When I get back home I can post a video or pics of how some of the people's packs have looked that had them adjusted wrong. Just to show what not to do. These packs are very adjustable, the most in the industry but if your coming from an eberlestock, badlands, tenzing etc... There is a learning curve.

Patrick

FNG
Cmeier117, uneven shoulder heights is precisely why I designed the shoulder straps to be individually adjustable. You are truly using the system as designed. Well done!

OP
cmeier117

cmeier117

WKR
Thank you Patrick! Your system is so simple it's a wonder others companies haven't thought of it. Although a few patents here and there probably helped.

crumy

WKR
I don't have a lot of experience with packs but I will say I can't see myself owning anything other than a Kifaru after buying this one. I still have things to learn about it but it is great and simple This was a great post

sk1

WKR
good info here, just to add a question for anyone with an answer...

i've always wondered what the true definition is for the function of the delta straps? i don't really mess with mine much, just gently snug them tight---so what exactly is their purpose, i would guess it just holds a load tight to you to stop it from bouncing around and side to side...

Lawnboi

WKR
I know a lot of people like having ALL the weight on their hips. But I prefer to have atleast a little weight, 10% or so on my shoulders at all times. Seems to me to keep the load more stable and is just all around more comfortable for me. This means no gap in the shoulder straps at all with weight in the pack.

Anyone else prefer to have a little weight on the shoulder straps?

Outdoorsman3830

Lil-Rokslider
I used to place all the weight on my hips too. It was only this spring when I found and switched to placing some of the weight on my shoulders. It does feel more stable and feels like it takes off good percentage of the pressure off my lumbar.

OP
cmeier117

cmeier117

WKR

i've always wondered what the true definition is for the function of the delta straps? i don't really mess with mine much, just gently snug them tight---so what exactly is their purpose, i would guess it just holds a load tight to you to stop it from bouncing around and side to side...

I normally have mine loose with day hunt gear and with 60 lbs or so I have them snugged up to help stabilize a load. I will tighten them a little more if more dynamic movement is needed....ie climbing or something serious.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The Delta straps are for tech/climbing movements and load stabilizing as well.

If you put your pack on and leave them slightly loose, you can bend left to right and see them functioning. So if you bend to the left, you will see the right side tighten..... This helps with load stabilization when negotiating technical terrain.

As Cam said, they're great for load stabilizing when packing heavy loads as well.

I may need to do a video on this, but hopefully I'm making some since:)

sk1

WKR
The Delta straps are for tech/climbing movements and load stabilizing as well.

If you put your pack on and leave them slightly loose, you can bend left to right and see them functioning. So if you bend to the left, you will see the right side tighten..... This helps with load stabilization when negotiating technical terrain.

As Cam said, they're great for load stabilizing when packing heavy loads as well.

I may need to do a video on this, but hopefully I'm making some since:)

thanks that's the answer i was looking for---i tried doing various searches for it and didn't come up with many answers