Kifaru Minikeg

I’ve read as much as possible and watched every review video I can find. I can find nothing but positive about this pack as a hunting day pack (especially for people with shorter torsos and not taller than 5’8ish).

I’m curious to hear from those who bought it but then sold it. What are the cons? What didn’t you like?

How does it do strapping a bow to the back? Does it fill bulky when not maxed out with gear and how well does the snow collar lid do when the pack isn’t full?

I have a tactical frame and Stryker Xl, but don’t find it comfortable enough to wear for day hunts or scouting trips when carrying less than 50ish pounds. I kept waffling between the Minikeg and 14r but the 14r is not in stock nor were they able to tell me when it would be again.

The shapecharge is too small for my needs. And the 357 mag to tall with 26” stays.

Kenneth@Kifaru

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey man, the 14’r is no longer an option right now. Maybe some day we will make more. But currently not in the plans. The Minikeg is a great bag and with an internal frame it will be comfortable in that 50 lb. Range. Of course if you got to 100 lbs it wouldn’t be as good as our lite or tactical frames. But the minikeg is a great option for day hunting. And if you kill an elk. You can have the tactical and Stryker XL in the truck to haul heavier loads.

You can add a Sherman pocket or Grab it to attach a bow to the back.

strongarm

FNG
@stringunner the Minikeg is a fantastic pack. I can attest to how great the pack is for comfort and load carrying.

I can't speak much to it for day hunting, as I primarily use the Styker XL for day hunting and the Fulcrum in "day mode" for my backpack hunts once camp is dropped and set up. I have used the Minikeg only a handful of times for hunting but just to carry bulky cold weather gear.

You asked about strapping a bow to the pack - I haven't done this so can't provide you insights there.

I can speak to it for a hiking pack, which is a similar context to day hunting in terms of gear. In my case, it often has much more than my gear loaded (family pack mule), and just as often I carry heavy camera gear.

The snow collar actually works much better when the pack isn't fully loaded. When I filled out, I have found I wished the snow collar topside would be a little longer—think asymmetrical—as it would wrap down over the backside more for better closure and protection.

The one thing you will appreciate more than anything is that the Minikeg shares the same straps and belt combo you're used to with your Duplex framed back. While I was going to go with one of the the Omni suspension packs for my hiking rig, I was attracted to the volume of the Minikeg. On its first test run I was thrilled I went that route because of the Duplex suspension, regardless of weight inside. This is what puts the Minikeg at a next-level category. I hope Kifaru has plans to use this suspension setup in more of their offerings.

It does compress down pretty well when minimally loaded. Unfortunately that's a rarity for me. It does have some tabs inside where compression straps are able to keep the load contents tight and I've used them, particularly for my telephoto lens which needs to be held fast. The outer compression straps would work similarly, but not quite as well given their size (they are smaller than the straps you're used to really reefing down on) and their placement (only one compression point on the pack body running to two points on the frame).

Do note I'm actually a much larger frame and torso (~20.5" for me) than those for whom the Minikeg may appear to have been designed, but for a day pack this isn't an issue for me. I actually still do achieve a small amount of load "lift" even with my long torso. They are effectively load stabilizers with a tiny amount of lift, which does help for high-mileage days on the trail.

Another thing for you to consider is adding the Claymore pouch as a lid. It's a perfect combo for the Minikeg and day use. Fits really well proportionally, provides some organization that the Minikeg otherwise doesn't offer, and is great access for small and quick essentials (possibles, headlamp, battery packs, etc.). The Claymore also solves the problem of the snow collar lid being a little "short" when the pack is loaded up as referenced above.

OP
S
@stringunner the Minikeg is a fantastic pack. I can attest to how great the pack is for comfort and load carrying.

I can't speak much to it for day hunting, as I primarily use the Styker XL for day hunting and the Fulcrum in "day mode" for my backpack hunts once camp is dropped and set up. I have used the Minikeg only a handful of times for hunting but just to carry bulky cold weather gear.

You asked about strapping a bow to the pack - I haven't done this so can't provide you insights there.

I can speak to it for a hiking pack, which is a similar context to day hunting in terms of gear. In my case, it often has much more than my gear loaded (family pack mule), and just as often I carry heavy camera gear.

The snow collar actually works much better when the pack isn't fully loaded. When I filled out, I have found I wished the snow collar topside would be a little longer—think asymmetrical—as it would wrap down over the backside more for better closure and protection.

The one thing you will appreciate more than anything is that the Minikeg shares the same straps and belt combo you're used to with your Duplex framed back. While I was going to go with one of the the Omni suspension packs for my hiking rig, I was attracted to the volume of the Minikeg. On its first test run I was thrilled I went that route because of the Duplex suspension, regardless of weight inside. This is what puts the Minikeg at a next-level category. I hope Kifaru has plans to use this suspension setup in more of their offerings.

It does compress down pretty well when minimally loaded. Unfortunately that's a rarity for me. It does have some tabs inside where compression straps are able to keep the load contents tight and I've used them, particularly for my telephoto lens which needs to be held fast. The outer compression straps would work similarly, but not quite as well given their size (they are smaller than the straps you're used to really reefing down on) and their placement (only one compression point on the pack body running to two points on the frame).

Do note I'm actually a much larger frame and torso (~20.5" for me) than those for whom the Minikeg may appear to have been designed, but for a day pack this isn't an issue for me. I actually still do achieve a small amount of load "lift" even with my long torso. They are effectively load stabilizers with a tiny amount of lift, which does help for high-mileage days on the trail.

Another thing for you to consider is adding the Claymore pouch as a lid. It's a perfect combo for the Minikeg and day use. Fits really well proportionally, provides some organization that the Minikeg otherwise doesn't offer, and is great access for small and quick essentials (possibles, headlamp, battery packs, etc.). The Claymore also solves the problem of the snow collar lid being a little "short" when the pack is loaded up as referenced above.
Wow- excellent review and info. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to share all that. You hit on many of my concerns with the pack (snow collar lid, compressed down with smaller loads, and more). I continue to wrestle with whether or not to pull the trigger on this pack. Your review helped immensely. I wish there was a pack on this suspension with 22-24 stays but similar to the shapecharge or mag series. The shape charge is too small and the .357mag with 26” stays is way to big for me. Contemplating purchasing a duplex frame to see if it’s more comfortable than the tactical for a day hunt pack. I have just not been able to get the tactical frame to fit well enough to want to wear it on a regular basis, but it’s needed when I haul tree stands and extra heavy loads. Such a crap shoot at this point. Lol. Was hoping the tactical and Stryker Xl was going to be the ticket. I think the Minikeg is the best option as of now. But there seem like some draw backs still for my use/preference. Again, thanks for the write up. Super helpful.

wnelson14

WKR
Classified Approved
Wow- excellent review and info. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to share all that. You hit on many of my concerns with the pack (snow collar lid, compressed down with smaller loads, and more). I continue to wrestle with whether or not to pull the trigger on this pack. Your review helped immensely. I wish there was a pack on this suspension with 22-24 stays but similar to the shapecharge or mag series. The shape charge is too small and the .357mag with 26” stays is way to big for me. Contemplating purchasing a duplex frame to see if it’s more comfortable than the tactical for a day hunt pack. I have just not been able to get the tactical frame to fit well enough to want to wear it on a regular basis, but it’s needed when I haul tree stands and extra heavy loads. Such a crap shoot at this point. Lol. Was hoping the tactical and Stryker Xl was going to be the ticket. I think the Minikeg is the best option as of now. But there seem like some draw backs still for my use/preference. Again, thanks for the write up. Super helpful.
Doesnt the 357 have 24” stays? I got rid of a minikeg due to no load lifting for my torso, duplex lite with 24” stays is perfect, so I have been eyeing the 357. I really wish the kuttthroat had 24” stays

Pezboat

WKR
I second everything @strongarm said. That’s a fantastic review of the pack. 90% of the time I’m using the pack on hiking/scouting adventures. It’s the most comfortable Kifaru pack I’ve owned and I’ve owned a lot (tactical frame, antero, Shapecharge, Styker XL, to name a few). And by comfortable, I mean in the 40 pounds or less area. It’s decent above that, but when carrying 40+ pounds, I just use the Styker XL and tactical frame.

OP
S
Doesnt the 357 have 24” stays? I got rid of a minikeg due to no load lifting for my torso, duplex lite with 24” stays is perfect, so I have been eyeing the 357. I really wish the kuttthroat had 24” stays
Whoa- you are correct, the 357 has 24”. I thought it was a 26” which is why I crossed it off the list. Now I might have a tough decision. Thanks for correcting that for me.

OP
S
Whoa- you are correct, the 357 has 24”. I thought it was a 26” which is why I crossed it off the list. Now I might have a tough decision. Thanks for correcting that for me

strongarm

FNG

Correct, the 357 Mag does have 24” stays. It’s the same suspension as the Minikeg and the Kutthroat. I have the Kutthroat as well, but only used for backpack camping. A 357 Mag will be in my kit someday used most for photography when on trail. But I’ll be keeping the Minikeg…I was skeptical for my body but came to really appreciate the pack in more ways than one.

wnelson14

WKR
Classified Approved
Correct, the 357 Mag does have 24” stays. It’s the same suspension as the Minikeg and the Kutthroat. I have the Kutthroat as well, but only used for backpack camping. A 357 Mag will be in my kit someday used most for photography when on trail. But I’ll be keeping the Minikeg…I was skeptical for my body but came to really appreciate the pack in more ways than one.
Can the kutthroat fit an elk quarter

strongarm

FNG
I second everything @strongarm said. That’s a fantastic review of the pack. 90% of the time I’m using the pack on hiking/scouting adventures. It’s the most comfortable Kifaru pack I’ve owned and I’ve owned a lot (tactical frame, antero, Shapecharge, Styker XL, to name a few). And by comfortable, I mean in the 40 pounds or less area. It’s decent above that, but when carrying 40+ pounds, I just use the Styker XL and tactical frame.

@Pezboat I think your weight estimates are probably spot on. I think weight capacity (or I should say weight comfort) will be directly related to torso length.

That stated, I know I’ve loaded mine up heavy for some long days with a significant portion of my camera kit, day gear, family overload, and water and it’s never been uncomfortable on trail nor that nighttime back ache.

Like you, if anything more I’m reaching for another pack. This is why a 357 Mag is in my future…it’s layout is better for photography/optics. And for hunting I’m using the Duplex frame with different packs.

Regardless, I’m not getting rid of the Minikeg. It’s a fantastic daypack+ (and more) that frequently rides on my back and will continue to.

Last edited:

strongarm

FNG
Can the kutthroat fit an elk quarter

I’ve only used my Kutthroat for backpacking, but it’s large enough to fit an elk quarter. It’s bigger than one may initially think.

I personally wouldn’t do it, however, nor do I think that’s what it was designed for or where it shines. But that’s personal preference largely because I already have a Duplex Lite frame and associated packs for that use.

It’s sort of a theory vs. practice thing response to your question. Sure, in theory it would work, but in practice once you start taking about the weight of an elk quarter—having hauled many, bone in—you can’t really compare comfort and performance of the internal and external frames with that kind of weight.

wnelson14

WKR
Classified Approved
I’ve only used my Kutthroat for backpacking, but it’s large enough to fit an elk quarter. It’s bigger than one may initially think.

I personally wouldn’t do it, however, nor do I think that’s what it was designed for or where it shines. But that’s personal preference largely because I already have a Duplex Lite frame and associated packs for that use.

It’s sort of a theory vs. practice thing response to your question. Sure, in theory it would work, but in practice once you start taking about the weight of an elk quarter—having hauled many, bone in—you can’t really compare comfort and performance of the internal and external frames with that kind of weight.
Understandable, I’m in the market for a 1-3 day internal frame pack, that could take out the first load to the truck, where you would get your frame for the rest. Or I just stick to a frame with appropriate pack.

strongarm

FNG
Understandable, I’m in the market for a 1-3 day internal frame pack, that could take out the first load to the truck, where you would get your frame for the rest. Or I just stick to a frame with appropriate pack.

I hear you, and tough call. I started with the framed pack paired with a bag (Striker XL initially) for that exact purpose—taking at least a quarter out first trip. As my hunting has progressed I’ve gone farther and deeper my patience ran out for making a full trip back to camp to get the pack frames.

You could do it, but from what you describe my guess is you’d be happier with an appropriate bag-on-frame. Hard to beat the comfort of the internal frames, however, so I really do understand the thoughts you’re having.

Whoa- you are correct, the 357 has 24”. I thought it was a 26” which is why I crossed it off the list. Now I might have a tough decision. Thanks for correcting that for me
I've got a 357 Mag and really like the size and layout. It's about the max size I'd like for a day pack, and perfectly sized for a couple nights in the backcountry with everything I might need.

OP
S
I've got a 357 Mag and really like the size and layout. It's about the max size I'd like for a day pack, and perfectly sized for a couple nights in the backcountry with everything I might need.
Thanks. I went ahead and ordered a 357 mag. I prefer the layout and type over the snow collared lid of the mini keg. Looking forward to getting my hands on it.