Kifaru Minikeg vs Shape Charge

NiteQwill

FNG
Anyone who has or does own both?

Looking for versatility between a 1 or 2 day pack, travel, and occasionally long range shooting matches.

Thanks.

mtmiller

WKR
I don't have the SC, but the Minikeg is cheaper, more volume and lighter. It will be going with me as a carryon to AK in a couple months and will fit the items I need. The Shape Charge would not have worked.

I bought the minikeg over the SC. I flew to Idaho for spring bear. All I took was my bow case checked in below and carry-on minikeg. It worked extremely well. I couldn’t have been happier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hunterjmj

WKR
Ive been using the minikeg for 3-4 years and it's a perfect day pack or possibly an overnight bag in warmer temps. I never pack out a whole animal at one time so I don't need a giant pack. This year with negative temps I was able to carry plenty of extra clothes, food, etc. and still have room. Great pack and doubt you'd regret it.IMG_0637.jpeg

Pezboat

WKR
I’ve owned both. The Shapecharge had a short run. For the life of me, I could not get it to fit comfortably. The Minikeg on the other hand, is probably the most comfortable pack I’ve owned. It’s my go-to pack for day hikes, hunts, and travel.

I just sold a Shapecharge and bought a Mini keg. Both are for My daughter to use. Shes older now and can carry more weight and pack in for more nights , only reason Im moving her up to the mini keg. Haven’t received the minikeg yet. I occasionally used the shape charge and no complaints for day hikes and over nights. The minikeg has a much nicer belt , its lighter and cheaper. I do like the pocket layout on the shapecharge a lot and will need to add pockets on the mini keg so weight might be a wash. You cant go wrong with a Shape charge for the use you suggested.

232b89568ea799aaf654135cbb9c165a.jpg

I have both, but Ill echo some of these statements. I bought the minikeg as a pack for my wife/boys to use. I ended up liking it far more than I expected. For hiking, day hunts, travel its the perfect bag. Noticeably lighter than the shape charge. I think you could go with either and be happy, but the minikeg would get my vote picking between the 2 for a day hunting pack.

Trial153

WKR
Tracking is showing my minikeg is waiting at home. Just got the SG anvil on Saturday…interested to compare the two. The Anvil is pretty sweet so far.

strongarm

FNG
I don't have a Shape Charge, but I do have a Minikeg. It's probably the pack I wear most often out of everything in my bag collection.The benefit is really in the suspension; it's the Duplex suspension from Kifaru's frame but on an internal frame bag. I find myself wanting the Shape Charge for it's organization and access, but then I talk myself out of it because of the belt and shoulder straps in comparison to the Duplex belt/straps on the Minikeg which handle all loads well.

Some have discussed organization--Minikeg has none. I find myself often using a Claymore as a lid on the Minikeg. It's a great pairing as it's sized just about right. Kifaru guide lids are huge on the Minikeg and a bit awkward unless the Minikeg is fully loaded and collar extended up. Anything less it's overkill and floppy. When I don't have the Claymore on top I do have a large belt pouch on the snow collar for those quick grab possible-type items and other sundries, like sunglasses and snack.