Kifaru Hanging meat baggie!!

cmeier117

WKR
I have to say the hanging meat baggie is one of my best purchases this year. Since I am rocking the Highcamp 7000 I was wondering how I was going to keep my day hunt gear accessible during the day and keep the heaviest weight (my food) elevated when I pack in. Well since I only fill up about half of the 7000 for a 10 day hunt the meat baggie is proving very useful. I can keep all my food in it for the pack in and then I can put all of my day hunt gear in it while hunting, and then obviously use it for the pack out to help keep meat elevated. For $35 or something like that, everyone should have one!! And for guys that like a streamlined no pocket pack this is a great option to keep gear from ending up at the bottom of your pack.

I have to say the hanging meat baggie is one of my best purchases this year. Since I am rocking the Highcamp 7000 I was wondering how I was going to keep my day hunt gear accessible during the day and keep the heaviest weight (my food) elevated when I pack in. Well since I only fill up about half of the 7000 for a 10 day hunt the meat baggie is proving very useful. I can keep all my food in it for the pack in and then I can put all of my day hunt gear in it while hunting, and then obviously use it for the pack out to help keep meat elevated. For $35 or something like that, everyone should have one!! And for guys that like a streamlined no pocket pack this is a great option to keep gear from ending up at the bottom of your pack.

Agreed. I geared up last night for this friday's pack in and threw all of my extra clothes into the hanging meat back. Best part is I can pull the bag out and "flip" it over to the frame side leaving me access to the rest of the inside of the pack while keeping the meat bag still attached inside. I might be swapping the clothes for the food however I just don't have all my menu put together quite yet!

Mike

The hanging meat bag has some good uses. I seam sealed mine and used it for a water bag on a hike this past summer. I had a filter pump and the only cold water available was from a spigot, so I filled up the bag and pumped water out of it and into my bladder.

This is probably fodder for another thread, but what are you taking for food that you can get 10 days worth plus your gear into 1/2 the Highcamp? And only 12# for 10 days? On a recent 10 day hunt, my HC was about 85% full with gear and food, with the food (MH dinners and some breakfasts, bars and ramen for lunch, MH dinners) taking up around 1/3 of the bag capacity. I did not weight the food (I'd guess about 20#), but did calculate that it was providing about 2,000 - 2,500 calories/day depending on the combination.

I have food that is about 120 calories per ounce, and that days worth of food was 24 ounces. So times 8.5 ( I am really only going for 9 days) that is just over 12 lbs. I also have super UL gear. My sleep system (shelter, pad, bag, bivy, stakes) weighs 5.6 lbs and all fits into a 13L dry sack. So that is about half the volume of most guys typical tent, pad, bag combo in terms of volume. It might be just a hair over half, but that highcamp is pretty empty when everything is loaded.

All I have that goes in the bag are

- 1 small, medium, large, XL Kifaru Pullout (emergency kit, kill kilt, hygiene kit, all my day hunt gear)
- 2 waist belt pouches with windicator, calls and range finder
- 1 13L granite gear uberlight dry sack
- 1 8 liter dry sack with clothes
- 1 Hanging meat baggie (all my food, not near full)
- jetboil sol ti stove
- 10L dromedary bladder (shared with partner)
- 3 L water bladder
- Koldo rain jacket stuffed in pack.
- trekking poles lashed to outside

The hanging meat baggies have 2 k hooks at the top and there are two loops at the top of the bag that you can connect them too.

That is exactly what I did with my Gen1 hanging meat bag last year. I put all my food in my hanging food bad and then into the hanging meat bag it went for the pack in.

Maybe I missed it somewhere, but how does the Gen2 Hanging Meat baggie connect to the bag/frame? IIRC, the highcamp bags do not have any common loops at the top's of the bags (yet another reason I went with the DT series)..

My Highcamp 7000 has common loops at the top. I have both the Gen1 and Gen2 hanging meat bags and both can fit in the Highcamp 7000.

They do have common loops, along with a chamber pocket attached to the common loops you attach your meat baggie to. I do the same thing with my meat baggie. I have my food, and my extra clothes along with some other odds and ends in it. Very streamlined and keeps the weight up high for the pack in. Should make for a great hike in and hike out.

Back