Kifaru Gun Bearer?

I know there is another thread about the Gun Bearer, but his question is different and I didn't want to muddy the two topics.

In every picture I see of the Gun Bearer, the rifle is right side up with the scope in the arm pit.

How do you guys get it to stay that way, every time I try to do it like that, the rifle wants to twist around and go scope down.

Is there some little secret I am missing?

D

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry I missed this EH.

When I carry my small 7-08 with a small 2-7X32 Viper scope, the rifle rides easy as intended.

However, When I carry my Savage 7Mag with a large Viper PST scope, I have to carry it scope down, because if I attach it scope up, the scope pulls it sideways as you described. Scope down works fine, but I have to make sure the gun bearer is at the right length so the bolt handle rests against the hip belt, and doesn't poke my thigh with every step.

I have grown to really like the gunbearer.

weaver

WKR
I havent really had a problem with it. I make sure the top strap is tight around the forearm. It occasionally wants to twist a little but not a deal breaker for me.

Shrek

WKR
I like my gun bearer. As Bitterroot Bulls says you just stop fighting it and flip the rifle over. I can honestly say that I can foget the rifle is there as I hike and look but I do have a long torso. A soft butpad will stick a little but it wasn't a problem for me. I jumped a moose at 20 yards this year in alders and I was able to get the gun pointed on him before he took a full step. The rifle is right there and even without a ton of practice I could get my rifle in position much faster than if it had been on my shoulder. I can get my rifle to ride upright most of the time if I get the top strap right but if I leave it too loose it swings away from my body just enough for the rifle to roll over. I wore the rifle both ways some and both were fine but the handle poking can get annoying with it upside down.

Shrek

WKR
As weaver says about getting it tight around the forearm is key for me . I'm really long so the srap can get up onto the barrel. That allows the rifle to twist and on my satin ss barrel it squeeks a little. Tight on the forearm it doesn't twist or squeek.

OP
D
Thanks guys, I will play with it some more to see I can get it to behave, it does have a pretty heavy scope on it right now though.

OP
D
HA!

Got it to work, even with the heavier scope on it.

Put the butt in the cradle and twisted the rifle in the opposite direction it wanted to go. Twisted the top strap so it would pull the rifle back and tightened it down tight.

No more flopping around.

Thanks guys.

HA!

Got it to work, even with the heavier scope on it.

Put the butt in the cradle and twisted the rifle in the opposite direction it wanted to go. Twisted the top strap so it would pull the rifle back and tightened it down tight.

No more flopping around.

Thanks guys.
was just reading this & I was just about to suggest the above remedy. I hated the gun bearer for a little while until I figured out the same thing you did. I still have to adjust it once in a while but not often. I can go all day without adjusting it some trips. definitely a great piece of kit.