Kifaru frame height question

Movadius

Lil-Rokslider
Pretty set on getting a duplex tactical or duplex lite, but torn between 24" or 26" stays. I'm only 5'8" but my torso length is I believe around 19", which puts me in between the recommend frame sizes so in theory both should work.

My question is, in your opinion would it make sense to go with the longer frame and just attach to the lower lifter points if needed? (tactical has them built in, and msot bags have multiple lifter points now). My thought is if I go with the 24" frame and find its too short, there's nothing I can do about it.

Is there any downside to having the longer frame aside from extra weight and a bit of extra length on top sticking up?

Kenneth@Kifaru

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Whenever someone is that close to have 18.5-19, I always say to air on the side of the 26" frame. Especially if you are hauling heavy loads like elk or solo deer. the capabilities of the load lifters will be better with a 26" frame.

ljalberta

WKR
I’ve had both and I’m close to the same size. It ended up I preferred the 24” and even loaded down with 100lbs, I still had plenty of lift.

Some prefer the 26” though. For me, it blocked my head at the back a little too much and didn’t provide any additional upside.

You could always order the 24” and load it up with 100lbs when you get it. If it doesn’t give you the lift you need, exchange it for the 26”.

Kenneth@Kifaru

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
I’ve had both and I’m close to the same size. It ended up I preferred the 24” and even loaded down with 100lbs, I still had plenty of lift.

Some prefer the 26” though. For me, it blocked my head at the back a little too much and didn’t provide any additional upside.

You could always order the 24” and load it up with 100lbs when you get it. If it doesn’t give you the lift you need, exchange it for the 26”.
That's defiantly another option. I'm 5'7" and I use a 24", and I have an 17.5" torso, so a 24" fits me great. it will always be personal preference and how you load your pack. You are in a great position honestly though, in a sense that you can go either rout and will pleased with either.

OP
M

Movadius

Lil-Rokslider
That's defiantly another option. I'm 5'7" and I use a 24", and I have an 17.5" torso, so a 24" fits me great. it will always be personal preference and how you load your pack. You are in a great position honestly though, in a sense that you can go either rout and will pleased with either.

Now I just need to decide between the duplex lite and tactical. I will sometimes be carrying trail clearing tools and ive been advised the tactical is much better for that. The weight difference doesn't matter to me, if I cared about a few oz I wouldn't be buying an external frame pack.

I did notice in one of the demo videos Aron did, he showed that on the duplex lite you can even customize where the shoulder straps depart from the frame to better wrap around the shoulders, by just having the strap not run through all the loops. It's about 5:30 in this video:

Im assuming that is not an option on the duplex tactical. Do you think that is something I should consider when choosing between the two? Are there cases where that feature might be the difference between a comfortable fit or not?

Kenneth@Kifaru

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Now I just need to decide between the duplex lite and tactical. I will sometimes be carrying trail clearing tools and ive been advised the tactical is much better for that. The weight difference doesn't matter to me, if I cared about a few oz I wouldn't be buying an external frame pack.

I did notice in one of the demo videos Aron did, he showed that on the duplex lite you can even customize where the shoulder straps depart from the frame to better wrap around the shoulders, by just having the strap not run through all the loops. It's about 5:30 in this video:

Im assuming that is not an option on the duplex tactical. Do you think that is something I should consider when choosing between the two? Are there cases where that feature might be the difference between a comfortable fit or not?
If you are carrying trail clearing tools, I highly recommend the Tactical. I have been using the tactical on my last few hunts and the weight difference isnt noticeable for me.

You can as well on tactical frames. You just cant go as far down as you can on the lite frames. there is 2 tabs on the lumbar pad that connect into the tactical frames that you will bottom out on. On my 24" tactical frame, I moved the shoulder straps lower to get a better load lifting angle.

OP
M

Movadius

Lil-Rokslider
If you are carrying trail clearing tools, I highly recommend the Tactical. I have been using the tactical on my last few hunts and the weight difference isnt noticeable for me.

You can as well on tactical frames. You just cant go as far down as you can on the lite frames. there is 2 tabs on the lumbar pad that connect into the tactical frames that you will bottom out on. On my 24" tactical frame, I moved the shoulder straps lower to get a better load lifting angle.

Just to clarify and make sure I'm ont the same page- I'm not talking about the height of the shoulder straps aka the torso length adjustment. On the duplex lite from my understanding you adjust that by tensioning the webbing that runs from the bottom of the shoulder straps around to the back of the frame and lifting or lowering the starps within the bindings.

What I was referring to is the ability to opt to not run it through all of the bindings at the top, which if I understand correctly would give you more shoulder strap length to work with and a different point of contact between the strap and your back/shoulder.

I hope that makes sense, I've got a strong curve in my upper back as well so I'm wondering if that ability to not run the strap through the top loop might help with that.

woodswise

FNG
There is the thought of running the 26 inch frame so as to raise your added pack up two inches to get the load higher on your body. This helps it carry better in my opinion.

If I understand your thoughts on load lifter strap length, what I do is remove the male female connectors on the load lifters and use a three bar sliders attached at the sleeve, at one of the tree heights. This gives me more strap adjustment length. Just not as easy to unclip the load lifter strap, have to run the strap through the three bar slider to remove pack from frame.

Kenneth@Kifaru

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Just to clarify and make sure I'm ont the same page- I'm not talking about the height of the shoulder straps aka the torso length adjustment. On the duplex lite from my understanding you adjust that by tensioning the webbing that runs from the bottom of the shoulder straps around to the back of the frame and lifting or lowering the starps within the bindings.

What I was referring to is the ability to opt to not run it through all of the bindings at the top, which if I understand correctly would give you more shoulder strap length to work with and a different point of contact between the strap and your back/shoulder.

I hope that makes sense, I've got a strong curve in my upper back as well so I'm wondering if that ability to not run the strap through the top loop might help with that.
Okay I see what you are talking about. I have seen some people do that before and in theory it will work but one thing to think about is when you get a heavy load on the frame your frame will separate even farther from your back and you will get a lot of rubbing on your lower back. and also a lot of sway when you walk. send me a PM of a picture of your back standing straight up against a wall to see if curved stays will help with that issue.

OP
M

Movadius

Lil-Rokslider
Okay I see what you are talking about. I have seen some people do that before and in theory it will work but one thing to think about is when you get a heavy load on the frame your frame will separate even farther from your back and you will get a lot of rubbing on your lower back. and also a lot of sway when you walk. send me a PM of a picture of your back standing straight up against a wall to see if curved stays will help with that issue.

Thanks Kenneth, I'll get that picture soon. I'm pretty confident I need the curved stays, I'm wondering if I should go one step further and get the aluminum ones or not.

Kenneth@Kifaru

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Thanks Kenneth, I'll get that picture soon. I'm pretty confident I need the curved stays, I'm wondering if I should go one step further and get the aluminum ones or not.
no problem at all! And if your back is really unique I will recommend the aluminum. But most likely it will be just the curved.

OP
M

Movadius

Lil-Rokslider
Just wanted to add this comment in case others find this post in the future.

I ended up getting the Kifaru Duplex Tactical frame with 26" curved stays. It fit much better than the MR frame i had before which was completely straight.

woodswise

FNG
Glad to hear you're satisfied. Have you loaded 20 to 30 pounds on it and went for a walk?

OP
M

Movadius

Lil-Rokslider
Glad to hear you're satisfied. Have you loaded 20 to 30 pounds on it and went for a walk?

It's been pouring rain the past few days but Ive worn it around the house with 50 lbs loaded up for over an hour and it caused less fatigue than the mystery ranch one did with 25 lbs.

I'm gonna take it on its first ruck this weekend

HIPA39

FNG
Ive also been contemplating which size, also hesitant on buying used getting the incorrect size. Best would be if I’m ever near Kifaru HQ I’ll have to try some on for fit!

wnelson14

WKR
Classified Approved
Ive also been contemplating which size, also hesitant on buying used getting the incorrect size. Best would be if I’m ever near Kifaru HQ I’ll have to try some on for fit!
they retain their value, and I don't think there is a shortage of people looking for frames if you got one on here and it didn't work out. IMHO to me eating $20-60 on something like this is invaluable vs trying to source one to try on.

HIPA39

FNG
True I've heard they don’t depreciate much. I’m in the middle at 18” torso 5’11” and leaning towards the 24” frame which is whats available in duplex lite. Might just have to give it a try and bite the bullet.

G.Linden

FNG
Pretty set on getting a duplex tactical or duplex lite, but torn between 24" or 26" stays. I'm only 5'8" but my torso length is I believe around 19", which puts me in between the recommend frame sizes so in theory both should work.

My question is, in your opinion would it make sense to go with the longer frame and just attach to the lower lifter points if needed? (tactical has them built in, and msot bags have multiple lifter points now). My thought is if I go with the 24" frame and find its too short, there's nothing I can do about it.

Is there any downside to having the longer frame aside from extra weight and a bit of extra length on top sticking up?
I’m 5’8” and went with the Duplex Light . Great fit. Very comfortable.

OP
M

Movadius

Lil-Rokslider
True I've heard they don’t depreciate much. I’m in the middle at 18” torso 5’11” and leaning towards the 24” frame which is whats available in duplex lite. Might just have to give it a try and bite the bullet.

Depending on the frame and pack you use, you could also get the 26" but lower the load lifter anchoring points if 26 turned out to be a bit too tall.

I went with the tactical frame mostly for that reason. After experimenting with it I found the 26" anchor point works better for 60+ pounds, but for less than that the 24" anchor point is just right.

Do you know your inseam length? Torso measurement can be tricky because people seem to measure it different ways and not always accurate. If you know your height and inseam length it can help verify if your torso measurement is roughly accurate.

Another thing about a taller frame is in the brush, any thick terrain and I want the shortest frame I can get, without a big compromise in hauling ability

If I was an open country hunter I may (probably not because head clearance) use a 26” but at 6’ even and 18.5” torso measurement, the 24” has plenty of lift, if my legs can move it, the 24” frame makes it plenty tolerable without any pack comfort problems.

My only disclaimer to not risk giving bad info, I like my waist belt a little higher on my hips than most seem to, so that may account to some extent to my preference in frame height.

Either way, kifaru builds a beast of a load hauler