Kifaru: DT1 vs. LH Legacy or???

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've been in the market for a new pack for a while now. Almost had a DT1 earlier this year, but had to put that order on hold. Debating what to do now as I research my options. Pretty sold on the duplex frame so just trying to figure what to put on it! : ) Sure a lot of things one can do with the Duplex....

I like what has been done with the LH Legacy. It appears to be very similar to the DT1 but without the side pockets and a change to the front pocket system.

I do have a few questions though....

How large is the new front pocket?
Assuming with basic lid it is a ~6300 (-new pocket space?) CI pack?
I like that body is bigger than the DT1's body of 5400 CI.

Just how much bigger is the main pack is vs. the T1/DT1? Is it pretty noticeable???

I'd debate adding a long pocket to one side for my spotter / tripod and a perhaps a few smaller pockets for odds and ends and a grab it...
Looks like some nice places to attach stuff via the lid, lower sides, or even waist belt.

My hunting partner has the T1 (thanks to Aron's help). With a 10 day trip his pack was stuffed. He is ordering pockets to help him organize a bit and we are looking at ways to compact stuff, but I like the idea of a few more cubic inches....

This new twist to the classic has me debating options... Appreciate your thoughts..

cmeier117

WKR
I can't answer all of these questions but I can answer some. The flat front pocket is 100 cu inches. It is a flat pocket probably meant for a map or something. I talked with Aron last night about the T1/T2 vs the Legacy and all he said is the legacy pack is HUGE! I have the DT2 and the main body is big to me so the Long hunter legacy would be really big. Adding 2 long pockets will add 1 lb or so. You may want to PM Justin Davis (rokslide pro staffer) as I think he uses the GUide model and prefers the "slick" pack with no pockets. You could get the XTL lid and two large waist belt pouches (and put them on the back body) to give you some organization and what not. I don't think the legacy is as tall as the T1 and I don't think it has a snow collar but again not sure on that.

Did your partner not use any of the T1 pockets? Because a T1 is 7200 cu inches total?

OP
Matt W.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes, we used the pockets. Just needed the bigger main bag to be larger. 10 days of food is bulky.. : ). Good to hear on the main bag of the LH..

Lawnboi

WKR
I really like what kifaru did with the legacy packs. I have the spike camp on my mind for treestand hunting, too bad its a 12 week wait or id jump on it.

I can see where the bigger bag would help with 10 days of food. The good thing about the legacy is that it looks like you can slap those pockets you have on the sides just like the timberline.

OP
Matt W.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I didn't dislike the side pockets on the T1, but I didn't love them either. For the LH, put my rifle on one side and use one pocket that I can detach for my spotter seems ideal for my usage...

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
High Country

With what you are saying about the rife on one side and spotter on the other.... Here's what I would sugges

Longhunter Legacy 6,300 CI

Longhunter Lid 1,000 CI

Top Zip Long Pocket (for spotter) on left side of pack

Large or medium hip belt pouch on Matrix webbing on right side of pack. Using it this way will allow you to stick the but of your rifle into the hip belt pouch and then compress the rifle with the horizontal straps.

You would also stick a large hip belt pouch bellow the Long pocket for extra CI's, but that's depending on the amount of space you need.

We have a few guides in AK and BC that ordered this set up because of the reason you mentioned (rifle/spotter on side).

The pocket on the back of the pack is not very big and was intended for a map/gps type pocket for than anything.