Kifaru daypack/weekender/not meat hauling pack opinions needed

Lawnboi

WKR
Well its getting about time to get a good, small weekender pack to compliment my T1. Heres the packs im considering.

T3, (not sure if i like the sewn in pockets on it for short, fast trip use)
Late season legacy
Spike camp legacy
KU 3700
KU 2200

This pack will be used for weekend trips, fishing, scouting, day trips all that stuff where I can go light and with minimal gear, and wont be packing out alot of weight. Just wondering who has some of these packs and what you thought about them for day to 3-4 day use.

All packs would have 2 long pockets put on them, one for my raingear(if im taking it) and the other for my tarp setup and a medium pocking on the side. The UL packs would likely get 3 long pockets for a little more organization.

My question is how do the UL pockets sit on the pack, do they sag? Obviously its not going to be as good as one big bag but for light fast trips I want pockets without having a really big pack.

Not sure about the UL packs yet either. I like the weight savings, but then again it would be nice to have a pack that i can beat the crap out of.

Right now im liking the idea of the spike camp with some pockets, 22" stays should do plenty on my 5'7 frame. and even with pockets i feel it would be one compact, close to the body setup. Light too!

Any imput is appreciated, thank you

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
My Mollex is pretty comparable to the Spike Camp Legacy, so I will chime in.

You should be able to get shoulder lift with it, my wife at 5'9" can, but much taller than her it gets tougher. Both of my buddies who have used it have like the comfort over anything else they have ever worn.

My only complaint was when I had the long pockets on it the pack had a tendancy to swing side to side a little bit.

As to strength, well a buddy of mine rode a small rockslide with it on. No damage, Kifaru stuff is pretty tough.

I wouldn't try to pack meat out with it, but it will be a pretty comfortable pack for what you are thinking.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
It wasn't on your list, but you might consider looking into a granite gear Vapor Trail. Not a hunting specific pack, but it might meet a lot of your criteria and at a pretty reasonable price point. Weighs in at 2.5lbs, holds 3600 cu, and can be purchased for around $150. They say it's rated to around 30lbs, but I packed at least 45lbs comfortably with mine on a 100 mile hiking/pack rafting trip that Luke and I did a few summers ago. Its made of pretty durable material, and has two water bottle type pockets on the outside. It sort of lacks in other pockets, but we added aftermarket waist belt pockets and a light weight top pocket (the vapor trail is a roll top) for odds and ends and it worked great. I think what impresses me most about it was the beefiness of the waistbelt and suspension. For an ultralight pack, it had a really well padded waist belt and carried the loads very well.
Not the best picture, but one that shows the basic size and shape. I comfortably packed my share (say 40% to Luke's 60%) of the food and gear for a 10 day trip, including my packraft.
SANY0780.jpg

All packs would have 2 long pockets put on them, one for my raingear(if im taking it) and the other for my tarp setup and a medium pocking on the side. The UL packs would likely get 3 long pockets for a little more organization.

My question is how do the UL pockets sit on the pack, do they sag? Obviously its not going to be as good as one big bag but for light fast trips I want pockets without having a really big pack.

Not sure about the UL packs yet either. I like the weight savings, but then again it would be nice to have a pack that i can beat the crap out of.
If you decide to go with a KU, i will say that I have been nothing but pleased with my KU pack (I have a 5200, but I think basic layout is the same). I don't think you can attach more than 2 long pockets to the pack, though I use two long pockets and a possibilities pouch to keep frequently used items within easy reach. The UL pockets do sag when they aren't full, but don't droop off the pack when empty if that's what you are worried about. Lots of times when mine are empty I roll them up and stuff them into the main compartment or another pouch to get them out of my way, and it's great that they compress so small.

With regard to durability, the KU packs are super tough for the weight, but you do have to be somewhat careful with how you transport them. I managed to get a few through and through holes in mine after two seasons, likely from dragging it in and out of boats, trucks, planes and ATVs. The fabric doesnt tolerate friction very well apparently. It didn't compromise the tensile strength of the pack at all, and Patrick Smith tells me it would never tear more than 1/4", but I went ahead and sent it in to Kifaru for repairs anyway before the start of the season.

Ultimately up to you, depending on what your biggest priority is and how much you want to spend.

Yukondog

WKR
I have a long pocket and claymore that I attach to my cargo panel when day hunting from a car camp. The long packet houses my 4L msr bladder and snacks. It sags horribly. The top flips over. It drives me nuts. I used a small carabiner thru the grommet of the bladder and attached it to the top handle strap of my duplex frame. It helped a touch. Wish there was a better way.

Matt

The KU3700 is a pretty good choice that I have a bit of experience with. If you get it with the 5200 suspension it will handle even more weight comfortably (about 75ish lbs).
If you are only going out for 3-4 days you might be running around with a not so full pack so the long pockets will be a little floppy..of course you could always just put them inside the pack for organization and a little more streamlined feel too.
All in all it is typical Kifaru quality, fit and finish. I put mine thru quite a bit of use and really do not have any complaints. If you are heavy into organization the UL line just might drive you a little nuts unless you get separate bags for everything.

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
Thanks for the opinions. A few more questions for you guys

Backpack Hunter: what did you think of the girth of the 3700. Looking at the specs it seems like its a pretty wide pack! Even wider than my T1, which im afraid I will not like for a small day/weekend pack. Trying to go as streamlined and light as possible, I also like to have a full pack because it rides so much better when they are full it seems like. Do you think you would be able to fit into a 2200 with a few long pockets? Iv got pretty UL stuff but I know i may be cutting it going that small.

Yukondog: I can see where you get some sagging with a water bladder, but i would only use the pockets for raingear and a tarp, so only 1-2lbs tops in each. How do lighter items sit in them?

Im liking the weight of the KU packs. But its looking like the spike camp w/ composite stays will be pretty dang light as well! Im liking how streamlined the pack looks, and the fact that its bullet proof.

Im pretty much got my mind set on a kifaru pack, after using my T1 and tarp quite a bit id have a hard time going to anything else

I have not had any problems with the width of the pack. It is wider than my T1, but I can't say I have ever noticed it being a detriment in application. For reference I look like a stick, no width to me at all.
I have no experience with the 2200, but theorizing I am sure I could get 3-4 days into it especially with two long pockets. However I am also pretty sure I would not have any space for anything else.

I use the Granite Gear Vapor Trail for scouting and hiking trips. I picked it up on sale for much less than any of the listed options and it does really well and weighs next to nothing.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
As good as Kifaru packs are for hunting I think you could be money and weight ahead getting a backpacking non-hunting brand pack for much less money and weight if all you plan do to with it is backpack and not haul meat.

I really like my REI Flash 65, which is now a 62L I believe for this years model, as its lightweight and large enough to pack enough stuff in it for a week of just backpacking without too much problems. Less than $200 and be adjusted from around 3 pounds and change to right at 2 pounds depending on how you set it up. Take the remaining coin and upgrade some of your other gear to lighter weight or different stuff. For just backpacking with normal backapcking loads which are usually 40 pounds or less there are A LOT of great options out there for much less than you'd pay for a Kifaru.

Don't get me wrong I really like my Kifaru packs for hunting and I even use my T1 most of the summer backpacking when hauling packrafts along, but for normal backpacking you can save a lot of coin and do just as well with many other pack options. Unless you just HAVE to have a Rhino on your pack, then by all means go Kifaru. :D