Kifaru Composite stays? Worth it for the tactical frame?

repins05

WKR
Any feedback for the Kifaru composite stays? Would be nice to shave a little weight from the pack. I have a 24" tactical frame.

DWD

Lil-Rokslider
They are worth it unless the two stay profiles kifaru offers do not fit you, then stick with aluminum.

OP
R

repins05

WKR
Thx for the responses. Going to stick with the aluminum and use the money for some other kifaru accessories.

I ALWAYS chose aluminum. Can be adjusted for a PERFECT fit instead of an OK fit. I made up weight differences on other items!
How do you bend them uniformly with control ? How do I determine what to change ? (where to bend and how much) I have an old Longhunter and was considering the new stays. Mine are curved and I need the flatter ones, according to the Kifaru website podcast.

How do you bend them uniformly with control ? How do I determine what to change ? (where to bend and how much) I have an old Longhunter and was considering the new stays. Mine are curved and I need the flatter ones, according to the Kifaru website podcast.
If you need them flatter. Remove them. Put them on a hard smooth surface and push on the bend a little at a time. Putting them back in and trying them. Repeat until you get the fit you need.

I think the biggest problem is the bend at the pad in the small of my back. Seems to "tilt" pack away from my back. If I hunch my shoulders forward and lean down the pads on the frame touch my back. Otherwise there is almost no contact.

robcollins

Lil-Rokslider
I use a bench vise. There's more than one way, but pulling both out, getting one right with small changes (mentioned above) and matching the other to that.

I have composite stays in my Late Season, aluminum in everything else. (Scouts, Marauder, MollEx, Pointman, 24" Duplex)

I just had an exchange of info from someone who had broken composite stays in a 24" frame. He claimed that the weight difference was "significant". Worrying about breaking stays in a pack frame seems more important than saving an ounce or even several to me. That Late Season is my version of a "light" pack. I've filled the Pointman and MollEx with rocks, and Duplex frames take weirder stresses when I use them, so I would only choose aluminum there.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk