Kids 22

Baddog

WKR
Need a 22 for my 9 year old. Cricket is to small and my ruger 77/22 is too big. What’s out there besides the 10/22? I think I’d like a bolt gun and something that takes a scope.

87TT

WKR
Since you seem to like Ruger, how about a Ruger American? They have adjustable stocks and you can get single round magazines.

I just picked up a CZ 457 American. It’s very nice. Maybe nicer than you want for the 9 year old crowd, but nice enough that it would be used their entire life.

I got mine in 22 WMR. They also have 22 LR and 17 HMR.

CMF

WKR
We put a collapsible stock on our 10/22, It works for a 4yo up to adult. I think the stock was around $90 at sportsman warehouse

Gorp2007

WKR
I got a Ruger American for mine, they make stock mods to go from small to big so it'll grow with them and they take the rotary mags, which I already from my own 10/22.

You can also get them threaded from the factory and a bolt 22 with a suppressor is loads of fun.

cz scout.....

IMG_1938_(2).JPG

SBR or an MSR with a collapsible stock. Buy to fit now. You can always get more/bigger later. +1 on threads.

TheM1DoesMyTalking

Lil-Rokslider
For a bolt action .22LR I really like the Savage Mark II FV-SR. The stock is relatively small and you can add a slip-on pad to increase length of pull as kids grow or for adults to use. I also have a Titan cheek rest on it as the comb drops too low for a good cheek weld when using an optic. I have a Vortex rimfire scope on it right now but will be replacing that with a SWFA 6x MQ when it comes in.

Last edited:

crrakcrrak

Lil-Rokslider
I'd recommend a Ruger 10/22. It shouldn't be too big for him, it will grow with him, and will last forever.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I just picked up a CZ 457 American. It’s very nice. Maybe nicer than you want for the 9 year old crowd, but nice enough that it would be used their entire life.

I got mine in 22 WMR. They also have 22 LR and 17 HMR.
Agree, CZ 457. You can get it in synthetic and it has a nitride finish.

87TT

WKR
The Ruger American uses the same magazine as the 10-22. I really like the single round magazines for young kids.

Savage is what the kids got. Quality. Will
Pay a little more for it. Iron sites worked right out of the box for fundamentals before upgrading to scope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For a bolt action .22LR I really like the Savage Mark II FV-SR. The stock is relatively small and you can add a slip-on pad to increase length of pull as kids grow or for adults to use. I also have a Titan cheek rest on it as the comb drops too low for a good cheek weld when using an optic. I have a Vortex rimfire scope on it right now but will be replacing that with a SWFA 6x MQ when it comes in.
This is what I was looking at purchasing to start getting my boys shooting. The oldest is 4.5 yo. The problem I see with this gun is that the LOP is still almost 14". That's seems way too much of a gap for a person that's only 40" tall. Maybe someone that researches this stuff more than me has a recommendation on replacing the stock? I can't find anything.

I have a few 22 LR and don't need another nice one. I need one that can cycle a ton of rounds and teach my kids to shoot and work a bolt properly. I don't need something over $400 for that. There has to be something out there that's affordable with a stock built for kids, bolt action (5-10 round clip), and a threaded barrel. It seems obvious that there should be a huge market for that, but I haven't found anyone that wants to fill it. Looks like Ruger American or the Savage are the closest to meeting the criteria. The savage is a great combination of price, weight, and length but has a long stock with few (no) available mods; the Ruger is heavy, long, and a bit more expensive but at least a person could swap out the stock.

The Mark II FV-SR I had in 2022 was probably the worst gun I've ever owned.
1. The LOP is way too long for kids
2. the drop at the comb is way, way, way too low for shooting with a scope (and the gun doesn't have open sights). Adding some type of riser is mandatory.
3. The pic rail was loose from the factory, and when tightened, stripped out 3 of 4 6-28 screws at ~10 in-lbs. I had to retap out to 8-40 to actually mount the rail.
4. The threading on the muzzle was excessively long, creating a significant gap between the thread shoulder and the suppressor (~1/4")
5. The magazine was an absolute jam machine. Multiple jams per 5 round mag no matter how I adjusted the feed lips.
6. The bolt was incredibly difficult to cycle, because from the factory the action screws/pillars (take one apart and you'll see what I mean) were protruding into the raceway. With the dremel tool I was eventually able to get them shortened enough for the bolt to cycle kind of ok, but it was never smooth.
7. The stock cracked under the bolt down to the wrist while riding in the factory box on the way to sell it. Apparently stocks cracking is a common problem based on the conversation my buyer had with Savage.

Look hard at every other option, the mark II FV-SR is awful. My ~2001 mark II that cost $109 at walmart is still a much better weapon than the current mark II FV-SR.