Kid bow help

Mtncowboy

Lil-Rokslider
My kid is 8 and I want to get him a bow. He has a little fiberglass trad bow and I want to get him an actual compound bow. I had a friend recommend the diamond atomic. I have also looked at the PSE Mini Burner and the Bear Royal. One friend pointed me towards the diamond as it weighs only 1.9 pounds. Another said to go with the PSE or Bear because they are higher quality even though they weight 1/2-3/4 pound more. I don't know if that is a big weight difference for an 8 year old or not. I would have him go and try them out, but I want it to be a surprise for Christmas. Can anyone with experience give me some advice? Thanks

guylaga

Lil-Rokslider
Actually in the market for the same.

Took my son to the local shop and had him draw back / hold at full draw on the exact bows you mentioned. We shot a few and he ended up liking the Bear Royale the best so I will be heading back to get it before Christmas.

I really like that the Royale has so much adjustment, it could probably follow him from 8 to 18 or end up being passed on to my daughter when she gets older.

Suggest you take him to a local shop or even a Cabelas / Sportsmans Warehouse and see what he is able to hold and what is comfortable. IMO its better to make sure the bow works for him and maybe ruin the surprise instead of getting something he doesn't like and end up with the hassle of trying to return it or sell it.

Southernhunters

Lil-Rokslider
Diamond Atomic….my 7yr old has one that he got when 5. I can do all of the draw length adjustments very easily myself, which I’ve been doing over the last 2yrs. Santa is bringing my middle son one for Xmas this year….just a different color than the oldest! It’s been great for my oldest!

Ps…..the Tru-Fire Patriot Jr. makes for a great release also!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sndmn11

WKR
We grabbed a Diamond Atomic last summer when our boy was four. He had previously been running around the 3d club with his suction cup bow. His 8 year old (girl) cousin has a Genesis. They both seem to be fine bows and are very light. They also send light arrows fast enough for them to have fun and not have to shoot at spitting distance.

sdcowboy

Lil-Rokslider
Go with a diamond it will last and shoot great. I’ve started all my kids with a diamond and passed them off to others after they outgrew them. You won’t be disappointed

98XJRC

Lil-Rokslider
We went through this back in the spring. We had our 4 take an intro to archery course and they all enjoyed it. We ended up getting 3 Mission Radiks as a result. The adjustability is great and it’s easy to adjust to get the bow to fit the kids as they grow. My oldest will be 12 next season and is hoping to hunt with it in the fall for some PA whitetail.

1919EDAE-A9FF-4C2A-B2C1-FB640266B282.jpeg

nphunter

WKR
The diamond atomic is the only way to go for a kid that young, anything else will be to heavy and will do his form more harm than good. You will almost get 100% of your money back when you decide to sell it, after that move into something like an older Hoyt Ruckus which is slightly larger and they will be able to use for several more years until moving into a larger bow. IMO all the one size fits all bows do the kids more harm than good unless they are just abnormally large kids.

6 or 7
B979253B-A2B3-4E8D-8456-FA60FF3C28AD.jpeg
9 with atomic & 12 with Ruckus
4E53D6F1-44A8-4CA5-880B-032103DCCE0C.jpeg
11 with a Ruckus
50842099-6878-494C-B2AE-DA484B89B911.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
Mtncowboy

Mtncowboy

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks to everyone who has responded! I am excited to get my son a bow!

jmez

WKR
They are all adjustable. They all shoot well. IMO for a little kid mass weight of the bow is the most important factor. They are not very strong. The lighter the better. They can all hold them up in the store and for a few shots.

You'll notice the difference when they shoot at home.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk