Kenetreks wrecking my feet.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have not tried insoles yet, I’ll try some lacing techniques other than having them tighter or looser.
Just my daily shoe but my boots are done the same until the ankle portion. I use every eyelet and give one additional lace cross over at each level of eyelets. That doesn’t make the boot any tighter it just doesn’t allow it to loosen up. If the ankle gets too much slack my heel slides. Reason I don’t cross the first couple eyelets is to create more space when the boot flexes and reduces the material from pushing down on my foot.
IMG_7212.jpeg

Maverick1

WKR
What have you found in the $125 range that is comfortable? I tried on 6-8 different boots ($150ish-$350ish) at REI last week and still couldn't find anything that was comfortable. REI is about as good as it gets around here.
Keen Targhee II mids.
Pros: no break in period, a bit wider toe box than most boots, lightweight at just over 2 pounds. Very comfortable.
Cons: lugs rip off from sole easily, not the most durable. Not waterproof as they advertise.

Everyone’s feet are different. What works for me won’t necessarily work for you, or for anyone else for that matter. Friends of mine swear by a famous brand leather boot, tall, that weigh 4.5 pounds for the pair. I tried wearing a pair of those tall 4.5 pound boots before and my lower back would hurt for days. Tight hamstrings and stiff tall boots do not work for me! A lot of people say you need a stiff boot to pack out meat, I haven’t found that to be the case - my 2.2 pound “flimsy” boots have done fine hauling very heavy loads over the years. (Do research and experiment on boot stiffness vs foot strength if you want to go down that rabbit hole or derail this thread!). Find something that works for your feet.

I bought a pair of kenetreks mountain extreme NI last season. I was aware of the 50 mile break in period when I bought them. Within the first few miles I was getting some serious hotspots on the back of my heels when I was going up hill, but figured I’d tape up my heels before wearing them until I broke them in.

Well coming up on 50 miles and my feet are still getting tore up especially if I don’t put something on the back of my heels. I just did 5 miles this weekend, 4 of it uphill in steep country and didn’t tape my heels and regretted it. Anyone have any input that might help, I’m starting to wonder if I’m just SOL on $400 boots.
I have virtually the same photo from kenetreks. Not the boots fault, they just don’t fit your feet. If you’re still looking for a pair of all leather mountain boots, my feet (operative word) are really liking the Schnees Granites. Things fit me like a glove.

CorbLand

WKR
Right size?

My Zamberlans did that and I ended up going up half a size and no issues. Then I bought a pair of Crispis and wish I would have 7 years ago.

Right size?

My Zamberlans did that and I ended up going up half a size and no issues. Then I bought a pair of Crispis and wish I would have 7 years ago.
This is a good point. My feet have changed and I had to go up 1/2 a size, and a wide to make the Schnees work. OP you might get your feet remeasured.

grfox92

WKR
Don't write the boots off. Give this thread a read. I posted almost the exact same issue and was sick to my stomach that I wasted $500. My kenetreks are now my favorite boots I've ever owned and will most likely never wear a different boot. If I'm hiking steep country I still tape my heels. Hiking steep ib stiff boots will usually always apply some type of pressure on your heal. That's kind of unavoidable.

The biggest improvement for me was when I realized I was tying my boots way too tight. I wear mine not quite loose, but not any tighter than needed for the laces to stay in the eyelets.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

Vandal 44

WKR
I think some of the issues with Kenetrek boot because they get the wrong width. Many people don't realize that Kenetrek has three deferent widths. I have the narrows and they are great boots, no blisters and no break-in

dtrkyman

WKR
I tried Crispi's a few years ago, first boot I had bought in years without trying on, I had to se what all the hype was, the left boot torched my heel!

So down the road they went! It sucks that REI is the only place with multiple brands to try on but at least you can get an idea on fit!

grfox92

WKR
I tried Crispi's a few years ago, first boot I had bought in years without trying on, I had to se what all the hype was, the left boot torched my heel!

So down the road they went! It sucks that REI is the only place with multiple brands to try on but at least you can get an idea on fit!
Scheels has the best selection hands down.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk