Kenetreks wrecking my feet.

I bought a pair of kenetreks mountain extreme NI last season. I was aware of the 50 mile break in period when I bought them. Within the first few miles I was getting some serious hotspots on the back of my heels when I was going up hill, but figured I’d tape up my heels before wearing them until I broke them in.

Well coming up on 50 miles and my feet are still getting tore up especially if I don’t put something on the back of my heels. I just did 5 miles this weekend, 4 of it uphill in steep country and didn’t tape my heels and regretted it. Anyone have any input that might help, I’m starting to wonder if I’m just SOL on $400 boots.

Attachments

• IMG_5870.jpeg
    IMG_5870.jpeg
    441.4 KB · Views: 38
Sorry to hear that. I get blisters in the same area with boots that don’t have adequate heel hold, either due to being too long or too high volume in the heel. Technique makes a small difference (pied a troisemme vs front pointing) as does Leukotape. Changing up insoles and socks might help a little but you’ve probably tried all this. Honestly I would sell them while they’re still new and try a different boot. You’ll find one that fits your feet eventually.

SDHNTR

WKR
Sorry to hear that. I get blisters in the same area with boots that don’t have adequate heel hold, either due to being too long or too high volume in the heel. Technique makes a small difference (pied a troisemme vs front pointing) as does Leukotape. Changing up insoles and socks might help a little but you’ve probably tried all this. Honestly I would sell them while they’re still new and try a different boot. You’ll find one that fits your feet eventually.
I had the same experience. It’s not the boot’s fault, they just don’t work for your feet.

Maverick1

WKR
Just because you spent $400 on a pair of boots doesn’t mean they are right for your feet. Sometimes you just gotta keep trying until you find the right pair. (My feet actually prefer $125 boots over the $300-$400 variety! So, instead of my boots lasting several seasons they only last one or two. Probably costs me more $ in the long run but my feet are happy.)

OP
GetWestern
Just because you spent $400 on a pair of boots doesn’t mean they are right for your feet. Sometimes you just gotta keep trying until you find the right pair. (My feet actually prefer $125 boots over the $300-$400 variety! So, instead of my boots lasting several seasons they only last one or two. Probably costs me more $ in the long run but my feet are happy.
That’s true, I’ve never had problems with boots before and just wanted a good quality boot and I’d heard so much good about kenetreks.

Maybe Sportiva Nepal Cubes? They are insulated w a fairly narrow heel (my subjective impression) and more forward / aft mobility for moving with your ankle instead of against it. I think the heavy boot / lots of ‘support’ approach makes it harder to avoid blisters, hence the Nepal recommendation.Only your feet know if they’ll fit, though. Good luck with the search!

I bought a pair of kenetreks mountain extreme NI last season. I was aware of the 50 mile break in period when I bought them. Within the first few miles I was getting some serious hotspots on the back of my heels when I was going up hill, but figured I’d tape up my heels before wearing them until I broke them in.

Well coming up on 50 miles and my feet are still getting tore up especially if I don’t put something on the back of my heels. I just did 5 miles this weekend, 4 of it uphill in steep country and didn’t tape my heels and regretted it. Anyone have any input that might help, I’m starting to wonder if I’m just SOL on $400 boots.
Cut your losses and buy a pair of Schnee's Granite 200 gram boots. They look like they are kinda on sale right now....break in time was short. I have truly tested them through rough terrain and wild weather conditions in Montana rifle hunting and Wisconsin whitetail. Here's the link.......https://schnees.com/granite-200g-me...ign=17444653420&utm_content=&utm_term=&gadid=

jimh406

WKR
When I was young, I got blisters in the same place almost every football season. I wore bandaids until the cleats were broken in.

I think the heal areas are a bit large. I'd call Kenetrek, and see if they have a recommendation or insert to add.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
Sorry to hear that. I have read or seen way too many stories like yours. Kenetreks are not for everyone, especially if you have wide feet.

DaleW

WKR
If it's mainly on your heels you may be able to overcome it with just tape. But it sounds like you need to sell them and try a totally different boot.

The funny thing is, the kenetrek mountain extreme is the only boot I've ever used that doesn't rub my feet at all. It's all about finding the right boot for your feet.

Spoonman

WKR
Boots fit everyone differently. Not sure if your boots in the past have been stiff or not but t’s not easy getting use to a stiffer boot if you have had a boot with more flexibility in the sole . They are great boots, just not great for you.

Frank Grimes

Lil-Rokslider
I tried a bunch of hunting/mountain boots. Most major brands, either hurt my feet or knees or something. What keep going back to leather logger style boots. I think they are forest fire fighting boots. They are heavy, stiff when new and not waterproof. They don’t even have an insole, just done hard leather that forms to my foot. My feet stay happy. Nicks, JK, franks or viberg. Most of the good brands make good boots. You can always go into their shops too and get fitted or get some custom

If you have tried higher volume insoles or different lacing techniques I would cut bait. If you haven’t, find an insole like superfeet (I use the green size). I’m sure sheepfeet insoles work too but are crazy expensive. This lacing technique has worked great for me:

Try liner socks like injinji toe socks. I almost never get blisters with them or need leukotape on my feet. Sounds like the boots have a little slop with your current socks and insoles so you’ll want to experiment with both

vectordawg

Lil-Rokslider
Just because you spent $400 on a pair of boots doesn’t mean they are right for your feet. Sometimes you just gotta keep trying until you find the right pair. (My feet actually prefer $125 boots over the $300-$400 variety! So, instead of my boots lasting several seasons they only last one or two. Probably costs me more $ in the long run but my feet are happy.)
What have you found in the $125 range that is comfortable? I tried on 6-8 different boots ($150ish-$350ish) at REI last week and still couldn't find anything that was comfortable. REI is about as good as it gets around here.

Man I freaking love my Hoka hiking boots. I had tried a couple pairs of their shoes for running and working 12 hour days on my feet on concrete floors so I thought I'd give their boots a try and they're the most comfortable I've had. No break in pretty much. Only $160 -$220 depending on which ones you go with.

OP
GetWestern
If you have tried higher volume insoles or different lacing techniques I would cut bait. If you haven’t, find an insole like superfeet (I use the green size). I’m sure sheepfeet insoles work too but are crazy expensive. This lacing technique has worked great for me:

I have not tried insoles yet, I’ll try some lacing techniques other than having them tighter or looser.