Kenetrek Mountain Extreme

I am looking at purchasing the Kenetrek Mountain Extreme 400 insulated boots as my western hunting boots. I don’t do enough western hunting to justify two pairs, one insulated and one non-insulated. So I am looking for pros and cons of the 400 gram insulated ones to be my 90% of the time boot. Was also going to use them for whitetail with the artic insulating booties for Kansas. Let me know if you think that’s a good idea or not. Thanks!

Vrybusy

Lil-Rokslider
I can wear my insulated Mountain Extreme boots from early to late season without issue. I pair mine with a quality pair of socks all of the time and I think that makes a big difference. I use Darn Tough socks and Kennetrek socks. In the extreme cold, I will use a liner sock and the arctic boot covers. With the covers, I have no issues stand hunting for extended periods of time. It's a great all-around set up!

Rangerpants

Lil-Rokslider
I have used the uninsulated version in temperatures down to the low teens without much issue. I always use liner socks with wool hiking socks over them. I have not had much experience in snow with them yet, so I can't speak to that issue. My guess is that you would be happy with the 400 gram ones for most conditions except summer hunts, and the insulators ought to stretch you into extreme cold just fine.

Tobe_B

Lil-Rokslider
I think that depends mostly on how much your feet sweat. I was going to buy the exact boots you had mentioned, but the manufacturer is out in my size. I opted for the mountain extreme with no insulation. I’ve been wearing them to work the last two days to try and break them in faster. I’m on my feet 12-16 hours a day, and I tend to sweat easy. I’m very glad I didn’t get insulated boots at all. I’ve got some good wool socks for colder weather, I typically do spot and stalk hunting with minimal sitting. I think if I had bought insulated boots it would be too warm for me. I will say, as is my feet have never been more comfortable at the end of the day. I’m thinking about buying their desert boots for working in year round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gumbo

WKR
I've been using kenetreks for over a decade and have both the uninsulated and insulated extremes and the hardscrabbles. In fact I'm on my second pair of uninsulated extremes. I can only wear the insulated extremes if it is REALLY cold or else my feet sweat like crazy. If I could have only one pair it would be the uninsulated ones for sure...and a pair of Schnee's pack boots!

muddydogs

WKR
I wear my Hardscrabble boots until the temp drops or we get 3 ish inches of snow then switch to the 400 gram Mountain Extremes. The Extremes can be hot in warm weather but even the Hardscrabble's are warm being an all leather boot.

Last edited:
Do these run true to size if I am normally 9.5? Or would you recommend upping a half size to accommodate a thick wool sock? Looking to get the 1000’s for a late Colorado hunt in November.

ahenry82

FNG
400s are definitely warm with good socks, they ran true to size for me went off there sizing chart

Awesome. Yeah I was just wondering because if I buy online, there’s no way for me to try them on. Especially if I buy from a seller on rokslide. Just don’t want to be out a few hundred dollars. Thanks for the reply!

ahenry82

FNG
Yup I got my online, called kenetrek and they sent me the sizing thingy and everything went great, since then I've been to the store twice and each visit was great, ill also put a vote in for schnees both are awesome

Okay. I have until November to do research and hopefully pick the right boot. Weather is always unpredictable out there and just want to make sure I’m somewhat prepared.

Okay. I have until November to do research and hopefully pick the right boot. Weather is always unpredictable out there and just want to make sure I’m somewhat prepared.
Don't forget to add break-in time. Not a lot of fun breaking in a new pair right before a hunt.