Kawaski Teryx 4 UTV

270quest

WKR
So I am thinking about selling my 2021 Yamaha Kodiak 700 and upgrading to a side by side that can transport the family. Wife and 2 kids that all hunt so need a 4 seater. I am not wanting a massive long UTV like say a 4 seat ranger, and I am also not wanting to spend 20-30k I am seeing on some of these crazy fully loaded units. Also, prior to my Kodiak, I owned a CF Moto 2 seater UTV and the engine buned out - So I have not interest in the cheaper Chinese options.

My search has lead me to a Kawaski Teryx 4. Seems to check a lot of boxes, and isn't too overly big. 800cc engine should be plenty for what our usage would be. I did read they are governed to 50 MPH, but we would never approach going that fast in one and if I wanted to remove that, research says you can do it with a scan.

Anyone running one of these units or has any other feedback on 4 seat side by sides? Our usage would be hunting 2-3 weeks a year and driving around the subdivision every now and then to keep the fluids moving. Rest of the time it would parked in our garage. Most of the hunting usage would be on dirt forest service roads and desert two tracks.

11boo

WKR
That looks very similar to my Yamaha Wolverine which has been excellent.
The cargo area is pretty cramped for 2 guys worth of gear on mine, so I made a thing.
The Kawasaki is probably a good choice.

IMG_6648.jpeg

Luked

WKR
Had a 2021 model Teryx 4.
They are a good rig and pretty bullet proof but do have their downsides also.
My big downsides were in warmer weather the thing gets HOT in the front seats. This is a Mid Engine issue that a lot have. There are a few things that you can do to help reflect the heat away.
The Noise level when running. Again due to the mid engine design.
There were a lot of time while we were trail riding that you almost have to shout to hear the person next to you.
Aftermarket support is ok. Not on the level of something like a Polaris but there is some.
The roll cage is flimsy at best.
The bed is ok in size for minimal gear. Don't plan on throwing a big animal in there cause the bed just isnt very big. Deer size game would be fine. Anything bigger your pushing it.
There are some small things you can do to add a bit of storage also. Under the front drivers seat its pretty open so you can put a small bin in that area Passenger seat has the fuel tank under it.

Over all its a nice decent rig and price point on them is better than most also. Done hear a lot of issues with the engine on them blowing, Don't catch on fire like a Polaris has been known for.

Axlrod

WKR
Any of the Kawi/Canam/Polaris are every good. Polaris has the most aftermarket stuff.
A buddy has the Kawi, but has put more than the base price into mods & accessories. Things a "normal" person wouldn't need or do. Overall it is a reliable machine that is pushing 10k miles.

Beyond the base price, figure out the accessories you will need. A heater and an enclosure is going to allow you to stay out longer/ go farther. Soft side windows and polycarbonate windshields don't last very long and overall suck. Taller tires= more ground clearance. This is helpful on rough roads and especially in deep snow. Other things to look at: Racks, winch (portable and/or rigid mount), aux. lights, elec. chainsaw etc. All are dependent on the areas and climate where you will ride.

vladkgb

FNG
Look into the Yamaha Wolverine x4, fits 4, back converts to a bed, so when you're hunting solo or with one guy, you can have a ton more space back there. It's also more powerful than the Teryx. I use my Wolverine for ranch work as well, hauling stuff and towing.

IW17

FNG
My buddy has a teryx two seater. Solid machine for just riding around, getting stuff done. However, in my opinion, it's severely underpowered for actual riding. At 25 mph it feels like it's already wound out. Even the yamaha x2/4 850 has over 10 hp more than the kawi. 58 vs 69. I'd look into the yamaha personally. Or if you're not in a huge hurry, wait and see if yamaha releases a x4 version of the new wolverine x2 1000. Over 100 hp and under $20k new. Food for thought.

BadDogPSD

WKR
My old neighbor had a Teryx, but not the Teryx 4. He said it was hot & loud. Sold it and bought a Polaris Ranger.

Wrench

WKR
I'm considering one myself. I like that they're underpowered. My friends with polaris' are always broken. I walked out in the snow thanks to a can am. They run hard....but they are hard on stuff too.

Weldor

WKR
My big downsides were in warmer weather the thing gets HOT in the front seats. This is a Mid Engine issue that a lot have. There are a few things that you can do to help reflect the heat away.
There were a lot of time while we were trail riding that you almost have to shout to hear the person next to you.
Aftermarket support is ok. Not on the level of something like a Polaris but there is some.
The bed is ok in size for minimal gear. Don't plan on throwing a big animal in there cause the bed just isnt very big. Deer size game would be fine. Anything bigger your pushing it.
There are some small things you can do to add a bit of storage also. Under the front drivers seat its pretty open so you can put a small bin in that area Passenger seat has the fuel tank under it.

Over all its a nice decent rig and price point on them is better than most also. Done hear a lot of issues with the engine on them blowing, Don't catch on fire like a Polaris has been known for.
What this says.

Kawi makes a great machine, as does Yamaha and Honda. I would check all 3 out before I made a decision. I have a Pioneer 1000-5 and it has been a good machine. All machines if they aren't enclosed are dusty and all mid motor machines are hot and loud.

JBrew

Lil-Rokslider

^ Nailed it. The heat and noise were a big nope for me.

Luked

WKR
^ Nailed it. The heat and noise were a big nope for me.
And its not like a small amount of heat....its a lot.
We used to put foam pieces between the tunnel and our leg or your leg just resting on the tunnel would get super hot almost to the point of a burn.
you can do stuff like heat reflective tape etc. on the inside of the tunnel panels, which we did. but its a big pain in the ass to do.

OP
270quest

270quest

WKR
99% of the usage for this will be October hunts in the idaho backcountry and Late season desert hunts where the temps get cold...Seems the heat would be appreciated then. Don't do much summer trail crusing or anything like that.

So I am thinking about selling my 2021 Yamaha Kodiak 700 and upgrading to a side by side that can transport the family. Wife and 2 kids that all hunt so need a 4 seater. I am not wanting a massive long UTV like say a 4 seat ranger, and I am also not wanting to spend 20-30k I am seeing on some of these crazy fully loaded units. Also, prior to my Kodiak, I owned a CF Moto 2 seater UTV and the engine buned out - So I have not interest in the cheaper Chinese options.

My search has lead me to a Kawaski Teryx 4. Seems to check a lot of boxes, and isn't too overly big. 800cc engine should be plenty for what our usage would be. I did read they are governed to 50 MPH, but we would never approach going that fast in one and if I wanted to remove that, research says you can do it with a scan.

Anyone running one of these units or has any other feedback on 4 seat side by sides? Our usage would be hunting 2-3 weeks a year and driving around the subdivision every now and then to keep the fluids moving. Rest of the time it would parked in our garage. Most of the hunting usage would be on dirt forest service roads and desert two tracks.
Have you considered buying a Jeep Wrangler?

99% of the usage for this will be October hunts in the idaho backcountry and Late season desert hunts where the temps get cold...Seems the heat would be appreciated then. Don't do much summer trail crusing or anything like that.
The hot cabs are nice in the fall and winter, especially if you close the cab in.

jhoff04

FNG
I have a '15 Canam Commander and have been toying with upgrading to a four seater for our family. We use ours for the occasional trail ride in the mountains, a week long hunting trip every fall, then cruising around our neighborhood mostly (and plowing in the winter). I've probably done more research on these than I needed to.... excluding the Teryx. I just haven't given them any attention. Here's my take after comparing honda, polaris, canam, etc.

Yamaha RMax4 is the clear front runner for me. Good mix of utility and sport. It's one of the shortest 4-seaters out there and have a great reputation on reliability. Only negatives that I've found is that they are a little noisier and engine heat in the cab.... but that's the tradeoff of having a mid-engine and a shorter rig. You'll have to get a 12'+ long rig to get away from that problem and that's a no go for me.

I know these new price tags are out of your range but you can find a decent used Yamaha Rmax with relatively low miles in the +/-$16k range in my area.