Kansas Trip

blake_mhoona

Lil-Rokslider
I've been planning my dad, my GSP, and I's first wild bird hunt (ever) to Kansas for about 6 months now. Pretty much everyone that has shown interest (and has a dog) the past couple months is unable to go. We are doing WIHA only hunting in and around the Hays and Lacrosse area (got a house in Pfeifer). If anyone is in that area Nov. 24-27 and wants to meet up shoot me a PM. If anyone has been to the area and has any tips shoot me a PM as well. We are targeting quail but won't turn down any pheasants if they should appear.

If it ends up just being the one dog my plan is to hunt 2-3 hours in the morning (7-10am?) and 2-3 hours in the evening (2:30-5?) so he can have the energy to hunt all four days. Plus it gives us time to do more vehicle scouting (so far its all been via OnX). I've used Glyco Charge in field trials but those of you that use it while hunting, do you give it between hunts? Or after the day is done? Just trying to give him the best chance at making it all weekend.

Regarding glycocharge, I would give it after the morning hunt before you eat lunch, assume you'll probably take the middle part of the day off. Give the dog an hour or two to digest it, rest.

Unaware of your feeding routine, but I would also be ready to take precautions to make sure your dog eats their regular dinner. Sometimes tired dogs don't eat well. We used to add a half can of soft food and water to the kibble to promote eating. Even the best eaters lose weight hunting.

OP
B

blake_mhoona

Lil-Rokslider
Regarding glycocharge, I would give it after the morning hunt before you eat lunch, assume you'll probably take the middle part of the day off. Give the dog an hour or two to digest it, rest.

Unaware of your feeding routine, but I would also be ready to take precautions to make sure your dog eats their regular dinner. Sometimes tired dogs don't eat well. We used to add a half can of soft food and water to the kibble to promote eating. Even the best eaters lose weight hunting.

I usually feed twice a day. when we are doing bird work in the morning or trials i just feed once at night. When we've had a long day of training/trialing i usually mix water and/or canned salmon in oil with his food to promote feeding.