Kansas Pronghorn

Looking to do a Pronghorn hunt in my home state of Kansas.

I'm normally hunting the in-laws farm for whitetail/turkey/waterfowl and never have a need for packing in or out as the majority of the property can be accessed with a truck or side by side.

Looking for insight on locations, tactics, glassing equipment and packs. For a starting reference this will be archery spot and stalk and likely by myself. Any insight would be much appreciated.

Spend enough time out west, pretty far out west, and you'll see them now and then. There are a couple spots I tend to see them fairly regularly, like they just hang out there. I thinking finding a group on land you can hunt will be tough. You will likely be better off to drive around and find some, then get ahold of the landowner and ask permission.

There are some other threads on here on Kansas antelope that has some good information, @tdhanses .

tdhanses

WKR
Dos pretty much nailed it, drive around a ton, i’ve found them on wiha but the key is having an app like Gaia with landowner info and then contacting the landowner, if they say no keep on moving.

I think we only have around 1200 total antelope in the state so you have to cover ground, getting permission before season is useless because they move far and often.

The Kwdpt has some great info on antelope that will help you narrow down where to look but it’s still a lot of country.

I hunted it for 3 days, put on what felt like 800 miles driving and many hiking, stalked antelope everyday but let most go as they were not mature bucks.

Just keep at it, it’s not an easy hunt unless you have access to a large swath of private with good food, water and bedding that has zero pressure with resident antelope.

When I did the rifle hunt I did all my scouting online, I also hunted an area i’ve either driven through a ton or hunted mule deer so had an idea of a general area to focus on, I shot my buck the morning of the last day.

I think archery spot and stalk will be extremely hard, most that archery hunt put up blinds on water holes and sit them. Remember this is wide open country. When i shot mine i spotted him at 2000yds, i snuck into 1500 then belly crawled another 400, in the end closest I could get was 400yds, he never knew I was there. Once they see you they are gone in a blink if your within their comfort zone which isn’t close.

I also shot mine on private, the landowners out there are super nice and I was able to get access that morning because I could find landowner info and google them.

Good luck, you don’t need much for gear, they are a small animal and easy to pack out.

Last edited:
OP
B
Dos pretty much nailed it, drive around a ton, i’ve found them on wiha but the key is having an app like Gaia with landowner info and then contacting the landowner, if they say no keep on moving.

I think we only have around 1200 total antelope in the state so you have to cover ground, getting permission before season is useless because they move far and often.

The Kwdpt has some great info on antelope that will help you narrow down where to look but it’s still a lot of country.

I hunt d it for 3 days, put on what felt like 800 miles driving and many hiking, stalked antelope everyday but let most go as they were not mature bucks.

Just keep at it, it’s not an easy hunt unless you have access to a large swath of private with good food and bedding that has zero pressure with resident antelope.
Is there anything in particular they look for or is it pretty much the same as whitetail food wise?

tdhanses

WKR
Is there anything in particular they look for or is it pretty much the same as whitetail food wise?
Grass, they were mainly in grass but a few were in milo, you can’t hunt them like whitetail, key is finding them and then figuring out how to conceal yourself to get close. There’s no real patterning them due to pressure. Maybe in archery it’ll be a little different then it was in rifle but they were on edge during rifle.

When I hunted they were in very small groups or even by themselves, they are much easier to hunt when they are solo.

The two groups I see are pretty reliably within a mile or two, but then again that's during the same time of year. Grass and winter wheat later in the season. I will say, both groups, one is 30+ animals and there were no bucks in it, and the other 60+ animals and maybe just two or three smaller bucks. I want to do that hunt because I've taken an elk in KS, so it'd be cool to get the "slam," but as far as getting an antelope I apply in 4 other states.

tdhanses

WKR
The two groups I see are pretty reliably within a mile or two, but then again that's during the same time of year. Grass and winter wheat later in the season. I will say, both groups, one is 30+ animals and there were no bucks in it, and the other 60+ animals and maybe just two or three smaller bucks. I want to do that hunt because I've taken an elk in KS, so it'd be cool to get the "slam," but as far as getting an antelope I apply in 4 other states.
I think the KS antelope is a pretty cool trophy if you get a decent buck just due to how few we have, seems like other states aren’t as rewarding when you think about it but I have antelope from other states as well.

Cwillimon

FNG
I live in far SWK and as the other posters have stated they travel a lot and you have to travel to find them. I see them occasionally. Every now and then you see a mature buck. I am currently waiting for enough points to rifle hunt them.