Kansas Deer Hunting

gwalsh8

FNG
I drew tags for Unit 16 and the Pratt Sandhill area for this 2022 deer season. I have mostly hunted friends' low fence ranches in Texas where stands are already set up. I am wondering what I should be looking for using the OnX map. I understand I need to look for corridors but since tree growth seems pretty spread out, I'm lost. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Should I aim to use a climber stand or hunt from a ground blind?

Donjuan

WKR
Water can be very important there. The treerows are sparse, but that's where the deer are. The trees (cottonwood and osage) sometimes are real branchy and hard to get up in a climber. A ground blind could be good.
Also look for alfalfa if you're going late or beans if earlier

Sooner

Lil-Rokslider
Best thing I bought for Kansas was a saddle. You can not beat one up there. I never seen one tree than I could have used my climber in.

bradb

WKR
for the most part you will have either Osage orange trees or cottonwood. There are others but not a lot in most of W, SW KS. as others said a climber would be a waste.

Look for large expanses of crp grass. Cedar and plum thickets offer best bedding. The big boys will be there in mid November searching for does. You will have to be creative in stand placement or hunt from the ground most likely.

bmrfish

WKR
Make sure to check out the Family Food Store in Sawyer. If you are there in archery season you most likely find us there about lunch time Thursday to Saturday which are only days they are open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

*zap*

WKR
I think what to look for depends on when you are planning to come here and hunt and whether you will be hunting public or private land.