Kanab or Traverse pants?

colonel00

WKR
I believe they are made by 511 that makes tactical gear.

Search for a thread about non camo hunting pants. There is a lot of info there including discussion of these two.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Which one?
What will you be using the pants for? I've done a bit research and testing on pants lately. You really need to tailor the pant to the activity. Brush, thorns, open country, high country, season/conditions, exertion level, among other things all factor into the ability to answer the question "What Pant?"

Stid2677

WKR
I have both, can be more helpful with more specific questions. The 511s have a lot more stretch, are lighter and dry quicker. The Kanab are warmer, more snag resistant. I like the fit of the Traverse's better. If I could only have one,, it would be the 511 Traverse.

OP
D
I ordered the Traverse, it seems to be more popular with people.

It is for summer excursions, scouting and fall hunting in Idaho.

Not many thorns to speak of here other the occasional rose bush that you find when looking for a hand hold.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
The traverse reminds me of a lighter version of the attack pants, very comfortable. If I was doing lots of hiking I would get the Traverse. The Kanabs are just good all around pants. I've worn them from August to December.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I've used quite a few different pants from Sitka, Kuiu, Kryptek, and other hunting companies, but recent picked up the 5.11 Traverses and have used them on one week long goat hunt and was very impressed for sure! Super stretchy and dry fast. Also got a couple pairs of the the First Ascent Guide pants I used last week winter camping and climbing some mountains. Very stretchy as well and lightweight just like the 5.11s, but with zippered cargo pockets instead of velcro which I like. They are only $75 a pair and a bargain when compared to other "hiking/hunting" pants IMO.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Yep those are them.....no longer on sale so looks like you gotta pony up the extra $5 and they are now $80 total. :D

Rucker61

WKR
Update: I found a pair locally at Sportsman Warehouse, and remembered I had a $20 merchandise return credit in my wallet. I wore these everyday this last weekend on our Boy Scout outing. They were comfortable at 65F on Saturday and with some First Lite bottoms worked just fine at 19F on Sunday morning, even with a 5-10 MPH breeze. Thanks for the heads up for my new camping pants.

yota4by4

FNG
I just noticed the quote refers to the Guide pants...
I was trying to ask about the 5.11 Traverse pant, being on sale...
My bad...