K connecter opinions

Lawnboi

WKR
Just wondering what everyone is thinking of these?

When I first got them I though id hate them. But after using them for a while I want to cut all my buckles off my other packs.

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
Whats the advantage?

They just slide on, no snap of the buckles, no plastic sound when you bump them on stuff. They are silient, which is what I liked most about them

They also don't loosen up if they are at weird angles like the normal buckles do.

And if your using them on kifaru stuff. There is no need to add extra buckles to your pack for acc. straps or pockets that you might dock. They just slide in the loop, much quicker and easier than sitting there and putting slotted buckles everywhere.

wapitibob

WKR
The pocket 3 bars will slip right in. The 3 bars on heavier webbing (grab-it) require the center bar of the G hook to be removed.

Last edited:

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Plus you can run a strap anywhere there is a loop and connect it. So you can cross straps run them thru and back again, etc. Very nice

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Most like them....I tried....not for me. But for those that do I can see that appeal at times, but for my uses needs I don't. Cool little contraptions though for sure. I just prefer the buckles after trying them....maybe its just cause I'm so used to them.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
luke I hated the k hooks at first, it took 5 days of use to convince me of how slick they were

Took me longer than that to convince myself they weren't for me....especially when my hands were cold or with gloves/mittens on.....just easier for me to but buckles together than slip the hook into the loop...and certainly faster to get into the pack by unclipping the cinched down lid with hte buckles than loosening the buckles and than unhooking the lid....like I said to each their own....just not for me.

weaver

WKR
Love them for lash straps and have them on my grabit. On the pack i much prefer regular buckles.

MattB

WKR
I used a Highcamp bag with them on a recent 10 day hunt and am leaning towards going back to buckles for most applications. The things I did not like about the k-connectors are 2: 1) unless they have tension on them, they tend to fall out of the loops under movement. I have 5-10 occasions where the k-connectors disconnected while hiking resulting in flopping straps and unwanted noise as the metal connectors hit my bow, my trekking poles, one another, etc.; and 2) they can become difficult to unhook once the loop attachment points soften with use. I had hell on 2 occasions unhooking the connection due to the circumstances. The really annoying thing is that my complaints are 2 diametrically opposed situations related to the same design aspect - they can be both too easy and too difficult to unhook depending on the circumstance. They have their advantages over buckles, but in general I think I like buckles better - and I have rarely experienced the issue with buckles that K-connectors are supposed to address.

Edit: they will stay on my lash straps for sure despite my experience.

Last edited:

MattB

WKR
One question on the K-connectors and how you guys are using them: the ones I got on my pack are attached to the straps by a plastic 3 bar slider-esque piece and a short piece of webbing. Have any of you cut off the webbing piece and run the K-connector directly on the webbing? Results?

DaveS

Lil-Rokslider
One question on the K-connectors and how you guys are using them: the ones I got on my pack are attached to the straps by a plastic 3 bar slider-esque piece and a short piece of webbing. Have any of you cut off the webbing piece and run the K-connector directly on the webbing? Results?

If I understand you correctly, cutting off the webbing of a K-connector gives you G-hook. http://www.ebay.com/itm/370732090200?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I believe Kifaru created the K-connector because the G-hook on its own slipped. I've heard other people as say that the G-hook does not hold as well as plastic ladder lock buckle.

MattB

WKR
Dave, I did some reading in response to your post and you are spot on. So I guess the questions should have been, does anyone use the G-hooks on their own. Thanks for the correction and the answer to my question.

a3dhunter

WKR
Dave, I did some reading in response to your post and you are spot on. So I guess the questions should have been, does anyone use the G-hooks on their own. Thanks for the correction and the answer to my question.

I do, haven't had any problems so far, only used for about 12 days in the field though.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Just to clarify.... the K-Connectors do have their place. They are certainly way more handy than buckles for things like the grab it, horizontal compression straps, and lashing straps, since always able to suck these up as tight as I can get them and rarely unhook them once installed on the pack. However on a pack lid or the sleeping bag compartment that I am getting in and out of frequently and at times tougher to maintain constant tension to keep the hooks on I prefer the buckles. Talking with Aron I believe he uses buckles and K-connectors both in similar applications on the pack. Both shine in different instances IMO. Hope that makes more sense, but given my command of the written English language I likely just further muddied the waters. :D

wapitibob

WKR
My experience is G hook and strapping can come loose, g hook/loop lock (k connected) stay tight. The problem I have had with lash buckles is they too come loose because of the strapping angle when going around the pack body.
I hear you on that little hook, It hangs when you just want to get in the pack for a second.

Rizzy

WKR
I am still up in the air. I have been experiencing all the same problems and benefits that everyone has mentioned so far. I have replaced some of them with SR buckles for now.
IMO, they are overbuilt for ultralight backpacking applications, steel is not the best material choice when it comes to "ultralight". If you attach enough pockets and accessories the weight adds up.
Also its a two step process to operate them; loosen strap, then fish out the hook to detach. With SR buckles I just un-clip and re-clip.
I'm still looking for an aluminum version of a G-hook that will work stand alone without extra webbing and ladderlocks. Something that has a functional ladder lock on the actual G hook :)
They work great with the lash straps and the grab-it, I really like them for that application.

Look at the ones from the Ops Deck for a G-Hook that stays tight because it has a little wave built into the ladder lock itself. They are steel so not the lightweight kind you are looking for Rizzy but they will stay tight.

I bought a bunch thinking I was going to use them all over the pack... turns out I only end up using them on the side compression straps on my dt1 and the horizontal straps I have for my cargo panel. I find that the buckles in these places end up at funny angles and get loose. Other than that, I feel like they are hard to loosen and very hard to remove... like mentioned it is a two step process.

I also use them a bunch when I just put pockets on the duplex frame for my wife. again, when the pockets are full with buckles they usually get loose.

Joe