Justice finally served in Utah

Sled

WKR
Didn't do much to shut him down. Seems soft for the feds but way better than the state would ever do.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Out of curiosity; in your opinion, is it the game wardens (or their supervisors) falling down on the job or prosecutors not willing to do theirs?

We had a few counties (fortunately only a few) in Montana we could hardly ever get a wildlife case prosecuted; it wasn't lack of effort on the warden's part.

Sled

WKR
Out of curiosity; in your opinion, is it the game wardens (or their supervisors) falling down on the job or prosecutors not willing to do theirs?

We had a few counties (fortunately only a few) in Montana we could hardly ever get a wildlife case prosecuted; it wasn't lack of effort on the warden's part.

Usually, it's a broken system that makes it hard to hold people accountable. In this instance there was a lot of evidence over a lifetime achievement for him. The feds were just able to finally make something stick.

In a general sense, and only referring to enforcement and prosecution here in Alaska, it's been the unclear or not-so-well-defined regulatory game/fish laws that have negatively impacted prosecutions. But, I can't speak to the State of Utah.

Sled

WKR

This is one of the reasons I opted not to go into this field years ago.

180ls1

WKR

We (the public) deserve A LOT of the blame for apathetic voting and related. Everyone deserves some of the blame IMO.

180ls1

WKR
This is one of the reasons I opted not to go into this field years ago.

One of the best guys I know. Total stud and someone we need more of. Just left PD for largely that same reason.

3Esski

Lil-Rokslider
it is beyond difficult to be successful in getting the charges to actually stick, so becomes almost not worth the effort. I have seen cases with Facebook posts and video evidence from the defendant where they were 100% guilty, and admitting their guilt through braggadocios posts, not get prosecuted. It's a pretty sad state of affairs.

Will_m

WKR

Prosecutors for sure. LE can only bring it to them.

TSAMP

WKR
Am I the only one that read this and thought the definition of "canned" seemed a little funny?
When I first read the title I thought he had a lion chained to a tree and released it as a hunter arrived in pursuit, or controlled it in a similar fashion. Sounds like he essentially let hunters stay back until it was treed then called them in? If I'm sitting in the truck it's OK but if I'm in the camper 15 miles further it's not?

huntnful

WKR
Am I the only one that read this and thought the definition of "canned" seemed a little funny?
When I first read the title I thought he had a lion chained to a tree and released it as a hunter arrived in pursuit, or controlled it in a similar fashion. Sounds like he essentially let hunters stay back until it was treed then called them in? If I'm sitting in the truck it's OK but if I'm in the camper 15 miles further it's not?
I was curious on the actual circumstances also. Or was hound hunting illegal in general? It's not like you keep up the dogs the whole time. They tree, and you get there when you get there. Whether you're 1 mile or 5 miles away.

I know everyone loves to see big names with charged with shit (for some reason), but this definitely needs more context IMO.

I was curious on the actual circumstances also. Or was hound hunting illegal in general? It's not like you keep up the dogs the whole time. They tree, and you get there when you get there. Whether you're 1 mile or 5 miles away.

I know everyone loves to see big names with charged with shit (for some reason), but this definitely needs more context IMO.

In this instance it’s not let the dogs go on a track and catch up later, it’s guide and dogs go out, shooter is at home, dogs tree cat, guides call shooter, guide and dogs keep cat treed until shooter arrives to dispatch the cat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
We had outfitters that would tree a lion, call the client and say we've got a good one treed. The client (who would even sometimes have to even fly in from out of state!) would then go to the treed lion and shoot it. Not very fair chase IMHO.

huntnful

WKR
In this instance it’s not let the dogs go on a track and catch up later, it’s guide and dogs go out, shooter is at home, dogs tree cat, guides call shooter, guide and dogs keep cat treed until shooter arrives to dispatch the cat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Appreciate the clarity! Yeah, that sounds canned to me. If the hunter isn't even willing to be NEAR the hunting area while things are taking place, then that just isn't right. At least with me personally. Sounds like they probably just run dogs day in and day out until they find the biggest cat, and then call up the fattest wallets to come kill it.

I would probably feel differently is the hunter was just in camp at least honestly.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdavis_123