Just don't do it

Rich M

WKR
Lotsa folks like to tell how dangerous gun anthing hunting is. Bullets can go x-far, i aint hunting public during rifle/shotgun/etc.

Deer drives are fun, if done properly they produce slowly moving deer, usually 50-75 yards in front of the drivers. I was usually a driver and spent many years in that specialty. Could usually tell when deer were out front but the flickers of brown and white. Cant shoot til you id your target, so the standers shot most of them.

Whenever i hear someone tell me how dangerous gun hunting and driving deer are, it makes me wonder how much actual experience they have. They’ve most likely never been there or done that.

Living in fear is tough. Hope they can get over it.

Same folks usually have issues with other kinds of hunting too, living in a box.

dtrkyman

WKR
That is a horrible situation for that hunting party.

I know a crew that drives deer like it’s their job for 25 years, nobody has been shot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jdinville3

Lil-Rokslider
I’m glad to see I’m not the only one with some common sense here. Deer drives have been a traditional deer hunting practice for many years, if they were really that dangerous you would’ve heard more about it by now. Don’t overreact to one off events.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I grew up hunting Iowa doing deer drives and it all comes down to putting people in the right spots. If you have somewhat of a chucklehead you don't put them into a scenario that compromises safety. Thousands of deer drives happen across the country every single year. Are there incidents, yes, but is there more incidents party hunting than any other season of choice? People are people and bad decisions and accidents are going to happen. I've seen significantly worse decisions made repeatedly during rifle seasons where I live now.

Stay safe and know your damn surroundings before you pull that trigger and 99% of the time everyone will be safe.

TheGDog

WKR
I was 14 when this happened. At that age I had no inkling of what was required to justify deadly force, much less a desire to actually return fire during a deer hunt. Plus this was the pre-cell phone era, so getting time relevant legal support or video wasn't on the table. I got out of the spot, called the Warden from home, and was told to shut up unless I could prove it. The main takeaway was to not depend on law enforcement.
Freaking WOW!!! That blows my mind.. that some LEO... ANY...LEO.. would NOT lose his isht and jump all over the horrendously irresponsible behavior of some full-grown adult bustin'... WILLFULLY bustin'... shots in the direction of another human being... let alone a freaking MINOR! Kinda makes me wonder if the LEO was trying to sweep the incident "under the rug" like as if that dude was his personal friend and he was trying to be cool to his friend and stop it before it started by instead just shaking his finger at the young boy involved in this, you. Sooo not cool it ain't even funny.

Freaking WOW!!! That blows my mind.. that some LEO... ANY...LEO.. would NOT lose his isht and jump all over the horrendously irresponsible behavior of some full-grown adult bustin'... WILLFULLY bustin'... shots in the direction of another human being... let alone a freaking MINOR! Kinda makes me wonder if the LEO was trying to sweep the incident "under the rug" like as if that dude was his personal friend and he was trying to be cool to his friend and stop it before it started by instead just shaking his finger at the young boy involved in this, you. Sooo not cool it ain't even funny.
I have never met an honest warden in my home state. The two I've known were either be personally involved (i.e. baiting on their property), or closely affiliated with people who are known to violate game rules on a regular basis.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I have never met an honest warden in my home state. The two I've known were either be personally involved (i.e. baiting on their property), or closely affiliated with people who are known to violate game rules on a regular basis.
Wardens in PA must have gone to same training classes Cal. wardens attend.

OP
T

tony

WKR
Update- guys doing well, did loose the eye. Other than that no other neuro damage, some obvious fractures of the facial/skull bones.

I think some of you all took my words literal. I'm sure if its done right, a drive is functional and safe. it just not something I'd like to do.

WCB

WKR
Drives are fun and if done correctly safe. Its really no different than a lot of Pheasant hunting that goes on. Guys line up and push cover....If the cover dictates it put a couple guys a the end to block the birds in or shoot them as the birds flush from running out of cover. What shots you can take are dictated by terrain, positions of other hunters etc.

Also, it amazes me how many guys never learned to shoot a running target and bash doing it but have no problem breaking the wing on a duck or dropping the feet on a Pheasant.