Jury duty?

dotman

WKR
My duty is to my family first. When they match my salary I'll gladly go. Till then, it isn't happening.

Who matches your salary for hunting :) Hopefully you're never in need of a competent jury for your family or business.

7mag.

WKR
Who matches your salary for hunting :) Hopefully you're never in need of a competent jury for your family or business.

Nice try, but you can't compare something we love doing and are passionate about, to something we are being forced into. Hunting is something we choose to do because we want to. There are plenty of people who want to be on a jury, and have the time and money to do so. There are also all of us who work for the government, that get paid to go. The people who can't afford it or don't have the time, should be excused, without being judged.

dotman

WKR
What's it pay now? $12/day
Pretty sure i won't be going in this lifetime.

Nice try, but you can't compare something we love doing and are passionate about, to something we are being forced into. Hunting is something we choose to do because we want to. There are plenty of people who want to be on a jury, and have the time and money to do so. There are also all of us who work for the government, that get paid to go. The people who can't afford it or don't have the time, should be excused, without being judged.

I was kinda being sarcastic.

Mike7

WKR
I would love to serve on a jury just for the reasons that Shrek mentions...but my serving on a jury would affect many people adversely, to include my employees, employees families, customers, and my own family. Is the Gov't going to pay my business overhead while I'm am gone and not making money, or pay my employees salaries? No.

So, I think the system, which is supposed to be a public service, could be significantly improved by running jury trials from something like 6-10 PM each evening, or at the very least on a swing shift. I also think that the crappy procedures, which allow most smart people to be kicked off of a jury or anyone who already knows something about the issure/topic, should be significantly changed.

I have been notified of county and federal jury commitments on one occasion each but was never called in. I have had well educated friends called in who were then released almost immediately. I guess it is harder for a lawyer to lie to and sway the opinion of someone who already has a little background information.