July 1 !? Preference points

standard_lengthy

Lil-Rokslider
Went to go purchase preference points on Montana and Wyomings websites, seeing as how they go on sale July 1 and neither showed them as available! What gives? Anything I should be aware of?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm new to applying. What is the best zone/area to build up my points for 3/4 years and have a higher success rate when I get the tag? Looking to do elk and antelope in the same year in Wyoming. 2019-2021 is when id like to go

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Also does anyone use huntingfool? Looks like it might help but I don't half tens of thousands to blow on hunts each year. More or less want to do one trip out of state every year

Bar

Banned
They sure picked the right name. Are you a hunting fool? Sign up with them.

muddydogs

WKR
I'm new to applying. What is the best zone/area to build up my points for 3/4 years and have a higher success rate when I get the tag? Looking to do elk and antelope in the same year in Wyoming. 2019-2021 is when id like to go

In most states you just purchase a preference point, you don't have to specify a unit until you actually apply for the tag.

Really, thank you. I really appreciate the answers on here. New to this forum and was recommended here by a customer of mine. This forum is definitely up there with archery talk among my top 2! You guys are great

sneaky

"DADDY"
Really, thank you. I really appreciate the answers on here. New to this forum and was recommended here by a customer of mine. This forum is definitely up there with archery talk among my top 2! You guys are great

this site is where the adults hang out. ArcheryTalk is like a junior high crowd. Welcome.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Also does anyone use huntingfool? Looks like it might help but I don't half tens of thousands to blow on hunts each year. More or less want to do one trip out of state every year

I use Hunt N Fool and Eastman's........to help determine where not to go. If you are a total newb they will help you get acquainted with the higher end units, which you won't for the most part ever catch up on points for now in this stage of the game.

Honestly the best advice I can give you is this:

1) Decide what type of hunt you want. There are a lot of options. (wilderness, spike, bivy, truck, lots of people, lots of elk, etc)
2) Learn and understand how the draws work in different states.
3) Get in shape.
4) Take as much time as you can to hunt. Doubling your hunt time from 1 week to 2 weeks will more than double your chances of success.
5) Do your own research. Then do some more. Then more. Being successful in the west isn't hard if you are willing to do what it takes. However the stats prove that most aren't willing to work for it.