John Reeves on Rogan

Anybody listened to this yet? This guy apparently has found thousands of bones and skulls in a 5 acre patch near Fairbanks. Steppe bison, elk, short faced bears, mammoths. Pretty wild. First 20 min are a big blowhard story but once they get to the bones it’s worth the listen.

No archaeologists or academics excavating his site, just looks like water cannons shooting at a bank of permafrost and pulling it all out of the mud. @theboneyardalaska on instagram. What do you guys think, should the professionals get involved in this excavation? Sounds like his reason for keeping the experts out is that he’s afraid to lose his ground and mining ability in the area, probably due to archaeological significance. I’m afraid he opened the floodgates going on Rogan.

2663B598-59A0-417C-8FC9-7B96926E2B58.jpeg

Last edited:

Fatcamp

WKR
In Russia they are blowing them out specifically for the bones. Pretty incredible. Filling the rivers with sediment and losing lots of potential research value. Selling on the open/black market. Stumbled across videos on YouTube I think.

It’s been going on in Russia since the 1880’s, if not before that. I haven’t watched the entire Rogan interview yet, but I’d bet there are experts out there that have more of an idea of whats going on there than he’s either aware of , or letting on. It’s rare for sure, but I doubt it’s the absolute mystery he was trying to sell it as in the part of the interview I saw.
Based on the ages of what he said they had dated it could easily of been a spot in the river that everything got caught in that floated down that river for hundreds of miles.
That’s my uneducated un researched internet answer take on it.

OP
Idaho_Potato
It’s been going on in Russia since the 1880’s, if not before that. I haven’t watched the entire Rogan interview yet, but I’d bet there are experts out there that have more of an idea of whats going on there than he’s either aware of , or letting on. It’s rare for sure, but I doubt it’s the absolute mystery he was trying to sell it as in the part of the interview I saw.
Based on the ages of what he said they had dated it could easily of been a spot in the river that everything got caught in that floated down that river for hundreds of miles.
That’s my uneducated un researched internet answer take on it.
Really strange coincidence that it is so close to Fairbanks. They pulled it up on google maps during the interview and it's like 10 miles as the crow flies. How many more places like that have to be out there in the permafrost that we just don't know about?

Bizarre move as well to point out the site like that on google maps while at the same time throwing out crazy numbers on the value of the items in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. Seems like a good way to invite the crazies onto your property at night. He must be confident in his security.

OP
Idaho_Potato

Sucks they do no preservation work. Just falls apart.
Yeah, part of me wonders what info a trained paleontologist could gather from the site if they were more careful in the excavation. Water cannon into a permafrost bank is a bad look. But, it's his property and I would have the same feelings about anyone telling me I couldn't do what I want with my own ground.

Near the end of the episode he does a poor job at hinting if they have found any human like remains. Sounded like he could be full of it just for the attention. But it makes you wonder.

Fatcamp

WKR
Yeah, part of me wonders what info a trained paleontologist could gather from the site if they were more careful in the excavation. Water cannon into a permafrost bank is a bad look. But, it's his property and I would have the same feelings about anyone telling me I couldn't do what I want with my own ground.

Near the end of the episode he does a poor job at hinting if they have found any human like remains. Sounded like he could be full of it just for the attention. But it makes you wonder.

I understood he was doing this on state land which is why nothing gets sold. Of course, a couple minutes before he said that he said he had a dealer in Florida.

Dude puts off a weird vibe.

OP
Idaho_Potato
I understood he was doing this on state land which is why nothing gets sold. Of course, a couple minutes before he said that he said he had a dealer in Florida.

Dude puts off a weird vibe.
It looks like all private land on the maps - Fairbanks Gold Company just north of Fairbanks.

Definitely weird. His wife also has a instagram page selling carved jewelry and goods mostly from mammoth tusks. Seems like an odd use of those artifacts.

Fatcamp

WKR
It looks like all private land on the maps - Alaska Gold Company just north of Fairbanks.

Definitely weird. His wife also has a instagram page selling carved jewelry and goods mostly from mammoth tusks. Seems like an odd use of those artifacts.

IDK. I'm sure that's what he said in the interview with Rogan.

ODB

WKR
It looks like all private land on the maps - Fairbanks Gold Company just north of Fairbanks.

I knew a guy who mined gold in Livengood AK - he had all kinds of mammoth tusks and teeth, etc. Used to make jewelry for his kids. The larger/more complete stuff they would call the university, but smaller stuff went home with them. He showed me a 4' tusk segment when I visited him in Michigan.

OP
Idaho_Potato
Enjoyed it. I think that he should do whatever he wants with his property.
I lean towards this sentiment. However, it would be a loss if he dug up something like a pre-homo sapien bone and just kept it to himself because he wanted to keep pulling gold out of the ground to get a little more rich. I’m torn.

I lean towards this sentiment. However, it would be a loss if he dug up something like a pre-homo sapien bone and just kept it to himself because he wanted to keep pulling gold out of the ground to get a little more rich. I’m torn.

He's not mining the boneyard, only digging bones, etc.