Jimmy John kills potential new state record sheep in NM

Look at the statewide numbers ding dong. Most states don't have an increase in sheep numbers so one area gets an increase in sheep numbers with over 20 years of auction tags. They are really working hahaha
NM is pretty steady at +-3000 sheep.

From <800 in 74 to 3000 in 2024 I’d say that a historic increase…..

WRO

WKR
I will go out on a limb and say more sheep are killed by hunters every year then movi probabaly not a popular opinion but that's a fact so what's a bigger threat hunters with near 100 percent success rate or a movi?

auction tags have been around for a very long time 90 percent of states that have sheep have not increased or are dropping in numbers and tags are being cut yet we are still doing auction and raffle tags.

I’m going stand at the trunk and feel sorry for the tree that is working so hard to create the oxygen you waste.

m.ovi kills most of the herd, those that are left are carriers and their lambs typically all die. Comparing it to regulated hunting which is managed to only harvest mature excess animals in most cases is sheer stupidity.

Oregon lost one of its best herds a few years back, 4 tags to 0 in one year over 250 sheep dead. Lost the look out mountain herd a few years later you the same shit.

Last edited:
Yeah one example colorado population in 2003 around 7000 colorado population 2023 around 7000

Ya I’m familiar, I hunted bighorns in CO last year. You missing the available suitable habitat, and highly regulated lion season. 7000 is a strong holding number, especially in a state know for winter kill.

Archer86

WKR
I’m going stand at the trunk and we feel sorry for the tree that is working so hard to create the oxygen you waste.
Haha
Imovi kills most of the herd, those that are left are carriers and their lambs typically all die. Comparing it to regulated hunting which is managed to only harvest mature excess animals in most cases is sheer stupidity.
I am aware what MOVI does hunters still kill more every year if youbsre so worried about what MOVI might do why are we hunting them

WRO

WKR
Ya I’m familiar, I hunted bighorns in CO last year. You missing the available suitable habitat, and highly regulated lion season. 7000 is a strong holding number, especially in a state know for winter kill.

Considering all the factors, maintaining 7k is pretty good, mule deer and elk populations haven’t faired as well.

Now he's saying why should be we hunt them at all? 🤣
I’m not going to lie, I like his consistency.

Even though he wrong on every rebuttal, I give him a hat tip with his steadfastness!

I bet he would be a hell of spotter on a sheep hunt. hard headed as he is…. “Lighting..what lighting I got a 10 year old ram on lock down..”

WRO

WKR
I’m not going to lie, I like his consistency.

Even though he wrong on every rebuttal, I give him a hat tip with his steadfastness!

I bet he would be a hell of spotter on a sheep hunt. hard headed as he is…. “Lighting..what lighting I got a 10 year old ram on lock down..”

The problem is he’d probably be glassing the parking lot..

This resentment of auction tag buyers has no other source other than jealousy/envy.

And it is taking root-with the end result being less $$$ for conservation and less tags for everyone.

Why don’t you haters spend your energy on those trying to take away hunting instead of ragging on a fellow hunter? Geez Louise…..
I quoted it before but I'll post it again from WSF CEO Gary Thornton.

“The fact that a handful of individuals stepped up at these levels to put and keep more wild sheep on the mountain for everyone, and one day put more sheep permits into the public draws, is the definition of paying it forward. That’s the backbone of conservation.”

That sounds exactly like someone pissing on me and telling me it's raining.

It don't think it is jealously to know when we are being pandered to and manipulated.

As I posted before, if sportsmen prove unwilling to accept additional fees or to participate in raffles to replace auction revenue, then I guess WSF is proven right and the auctions should continue. Arizona may be a case study for the rest of the western states in this regard.

I quoted it before but I'll post it again from WSF CEO Gary Thornton.

“The fact that a handful of individuals stepped up at these levels to put and keep more wild sheep on the mountain for everyone, and one day put more sheep permits into the public draws, is the definition of paying it forward. That’s the backbone of conservation.”

That sounds exactly like someone pissing on me and telling me it's raining.

It don't think it is jealously to know when we are being pandered to and manipulated.

As I posted before, if sportsmen prove unwilling to accept additional fees or to participate in raffles to replace auction revenue, then I guess WSF is proven right and the auctions should continue. Arizona may be a case study for the rest of the western states in this regard.
I'll be curious to see how it plays out too

Kurts86

WKR
The whole governors tag would be more tolerable if it didn’t involve dozens of guides scouting statewide for months and then the “hunter” flying out when he gets a call they found a 190” ram to shoot it the next day. It’s even worse when the hunter has to be packed into the shooting or kill on horse back because they couldn’t physically walk there.

I don’t buy the money for conservation argument because even a $500k chunk of cash represents 1% or less of an annual state game agency budget. Lots of fish and game agencies require a few hundred million per year. If they were serious about funding wildlife they would have a 1/8 cent sales tax funding the agency like Missouri does and pull in $300,000,000/year.

Kurts86

WKR
As someone who has bought a gov tag, and won a raffle tag, I can tell you the guides don't go scouting for months before hand. And I can physically walk anywhere a guide can..... might not apply to all auction tag buyers but there are us out there that do give a $hit and I want my grandkids to be able to hunt sheep in the future...... my $ went straight to conservation.
Buy a governors tag then hunt it DIY.