Jetboil issues in cold weather? Anyone?

So I hunted 12 days using my jetboil at least 2x sometimes 3x a day. Temps were in the low 30's every morning, and a couple were upper 20's. I froze my ass off basically on most mornings.
I had two gas canisters. One was the grey Coleman can, the other was the black Brunton gas can. the bigger ones

I had issues in the am trying to make coffee and heat up some water. The JB just did not want to start, and barely put out any heat the first 3 cold mornings.
I attributed it to COLD cans and COLD ambient temps. Just suffered through it and finally got hot enough water after about 7 min with the stove on max. (usually its barely on and heating under 2.5 -3 min)

Then I got the idea of sleeping with the gas can in the bag to keep it warmer. Worked better but still not like normal. Still tool well over 5 min and once the can started cooling off performance dropped fast. Cans were all at least 3/4 full or more.

Last 3 mornings I took to sleping with the cans, they were warm. As for the stove, I put on my puffy to stay warm held the stove part in my fingers warming it up hot box style holding it under and in my toasty warm bag while sitting cross legged, in my bag.
After feeling the stove metal cube had warmed up, I put it together and heated up my joe water much quicker but still certainly not the 2.5-3 min like normal.

On the coldest day below freezing and frost and ice on the rig. I also set up my optima CRUX (backup stove) and tried it side by side with the JB and it was easily on full max flamage while the JB was still barely more than a bic lighter in the wind.

Later in the afternoons I would heat up some more water of for a MT duce meal or tea after setting the cans in the sun to warm up on the hood of my rig while the bag was airing out and drying.

In your experience, has anyone else had to resort to this tactic just to get a cup of semi hot water for some joe in the AM on a frigid a$$ mountain morning with a jet boil.

Worst thing was the last morning and closing day, I had spent all this dang time to get my coffee, it was all done steeping in the jetboil cup, ready to sip and eat with my last Svenards breakfast claw pastry, I proceeded to spill the hole 20 oz onto the pumice dust from the bumper of the suburban, all due to my inept and tired state at 4:30 AM. I was NOT happy after that.

reaper

WKR
yep me too,on a spring 3 days trip in the mountain at night the temp dropped to -8*C and my jetboil wasnt working great,same thing i got the idea to sleep with the can inside my bag...same shÎt...and putting the entire stove inside a jacket is not working either because a jacket will perform with your body heat,the stove doesnt have one haha!.End-up using my buddy MSR burner...coffee was good at the end haha!!!

I haven't tried a jetboil stove, but I do have the top half which I have modified to fit on my Snow Peak. The Jetboil stove itself must be pretty weak cause I can barely turn it up at all and the flames start licking the side and melting the neoprene. I melted the handle off the first time I used it cause I wasn't paying enough attention.

I have moved on however and now use an MSR Pocket Rocket and Olicamp XTS pot, which results in sub 2 minute boil times even above 10,000 feet. I haven't had any problems with freezing fuel canisters, but know it would become a problem if it gets too cold. Also, keep in mind that the starting temp of the water is lower in the morning.

i like my jetboil , i use the small orange msr isopro fuel canister with no issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
elkbowkevin
Ya, never had a cause for concern with the JB system till this hunt. Just glad I was not out in the middle of butt squat nowhere laying in my tent and jonesin' for some decent flame. LOL

COlineman, ya I forgot to mention that a couple cold mornings I had my water bottles laying next to my bag and covered with my "hunt-blankey" too so they were not (ambient air temp) but at least several degrees higher.
Maybe next cold hunt Ill just use the optima crux and JB cup. This trip was a learner....

duchntr

WKR
Every iso stove will have this problem to certain extent thats why guys who do winter expeditions run multi fuel stoves. However I read on BPL that supposedly some fuel mixes are better for colder temps (MSR) but I cant say Ive noticed a huge difference. One thing that helps for me is i run a wind screen closer to the pot which also heats up the fuel can (not recommended by the manufacturer) I use a soto windmaster though fwiw.

Which jetboil model do you have?
I noticed some say cold weather suited as others don't. Looks like a different valve maybe?
Does anyone know what these mean

Maybe next cold hunt Ill just use the optima crux and JB cup. This trip was a learner....

That may not work as well as you'd hope due to the Crux's large diameter flame. I also cut slits in the metal on the bottom in order to get the fins close enough to the flame on my Snow Peak. You may look at either the Olicamp XTS or Optimus Terra Weekend HE (this was designed for the Crux).

Yep. I have a primus and it works a little better but you have to keep the fuel warm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stid2677

WKR
The trick I use is to run a piece of copper wire from the flame to the can. Transfers heat and improves flow in the cold.
6465d834ec0eba32f8d73432a96a62b0.jpg
03fab3c51c302151fbe5be44e4a47561.jpg
3c33422699b23dc8ea5b7ce107d5489c.jpg

bcimport

WKR
Isobutane has a boiling point of around 12F but the pressure in the cylinder drops along with ambient temp. The stoves don't work well unless you have adequate cylinder pressure. That combined with the fact that once you light the stove and the butane boils it cools off further and produces even less vapour. Anything you can do to preheat the cylinder or keep it warm during operation (wire trick) will improve cold performance. Ideally you are looking for winter blend fuel with a higher percentage of propane which boils at -40 in the mix.

kaboku68

WKR
Good Job Steve. I would always do the tape a handwarmer to the bottom of the cannister with duck tape. It would take it down below zero but you got to watch to make sure that the regulator doesn't fry.

I dig a 6" deep hole under my stove and put a burning Esbit tab in it. That heats the fuel canister nicely but it all seems a little risky. :confused:

SERIOUSLY NOW....I'm a bit new to gas canister stoves. I own a Primus ETA Spider and just used it for 15 days in AK on a moose hunt. I personally don't care for stoves which put the canister under the burner...mainly because I see myself being a klutz and knocking things over. I did my research and there are reasons to think a remote canister stove has benefits. In cold weather the canister can be inverted and will output more fuel with the reduced pressure. I sometimes hold my fuel canister above the pan (heating) to warm it and that works dramatically well. One problem with isob is how rapidly it chills the canister and line as gas is used. Keeping the canister warm continuously makes a big difference.

I was told by an REI rep to stay with the top 3 or 4 brands of fuel. MSR, Jetboil, Primus, etc. Be sure the can states something like 'All Season' or similar. Fuels are not created equal and it pays to know what you're getting. I ran Jetboil fuel through my Primus stove and had no issues. I got over 10 days of use from one medium canister. Be aware these stoves are very simple but have tiny orifice(s) for vaporized fuel. The slightest bit of dust, duff or frost can block them and vastly reduce burner output. If your stove just won't operate at top output with a warm canister it probably means something is blocking the passage of fuel.

We had temps second week of elk season in Oregon as low as 16 degrees. I've found that the only brand canisters that work well in the lower temps is the jet boil, MSR and snow peak giga power. Everything else sucks. I tried the primos this year and same thing slow boil times and no power. The following week I switched to a MSR canister and like a rocket again.

DaveC

WKR
Your low quality canisters probably had a higher % of propane than other brands. You burned off all the propane the first few mornings running everything cold. This made subsequent canister performance poor, preheated or not.

Solution 1: preheat from the beginning
Solution 2: get a different stove

Primus offers 3 different gas mixtures for seasonal use. DaveC is right about propane burning off faster in cold weather. Below 32F it's going to happen faster with any similar mixtures all things being equal. Warming the canister and keeping it warm while using is a big help. Choosing mixtures suitable for colder temps will definitely help.

Taken directly from the Jetboil site: "However, if you are unable to find our fuel out on the trail, the following fuel has the same mixture and valve as ours: Brunton, Gigapower, MSR, Primus and Snowpeak."

Primus Gas - Knowhow

http://www.jetboil.com/Support/FAQ/Does-Jetboil-Work-in-Cold-Weather/

Last edited:

poisonarrow

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Kovea stove that can be used with the can inverted. You turn the can over in cold weather and it works great.

What was your elevation? Nothing burns as good at higher elevations. Less oxygen up there!

moxford

Lil-Rokslider
1) Get the correct iso/propane mix to start, and keep it warm
or
2) Get a stove that lets you run canisters inverted
or
3) Get a multi-fuel stove and don't run canisters

The copper shunt, above, works, as do heat reflectors, but don't get the canister too hot.
Putting the canister in a bowl of water also works ... acts as a "cold sink" and the iso inside will boil off to a gas so it'll run.

Lots of info on BPL (BackpackingLight.com) but some of it you need to register and pay for, though it's an amazing community.

I have a couple (heavy) MSR XGK stoves. They'll run just about anything from upright to inverted, kerosene, gasoline, stove fuel ...

The Jetboils are more efficient and easier, though, if the canisters are kept warm.

-mox

16Bore

WKR
I stopped worrying about it when I saw one in a Mt. Everest documentary......maybe it was K2.

Either way.....