Jetboil, is it really that much better?

vegas hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up a Primus eta solo for less than fifty bucks from sierra trading post. Looks exactly like the JB. Tried at my house in Vegas, boiled water in 2 minutes.

stephen b

WKR
For me, it wasn't that I couldn't or didn't want to wait the extra minute for water to boil with a Pocket Rocket or similar. It's the MUCH better efficiency that lets me carry less fuel into the backcountry without worrying that I'm going to run out.

Yes- it is true that a more efficient stove uses less fuel.

But, for me I am not usually worried about my fuel use when I carry a PR and a 220 canister with me and I can be out for a while with that set up; plus I aways have a couple solid tabs in my fire making kit if need be. And it only weighs about 2.4 oz more ( with 4 oz. more fuel) than a JB Sol Ti and a 110 canister.

I am sure the JB is a very good set up, but I am not too worried about carrying a couple more oz. of fuel with me for knowing that I will have plenty. Plus the 220 only costs $1 more than the 110. My PR and my 700ml SP cup and 220 probably takes up less space than a JB 110 setup.

For areal light and small set up my 1 oz solid fuel stove and tabs weigh almost nothing and take up hardly any space- and I am good with that ( just fine really) for 4-5 days.

But we all make different choices and for different reasons- makes the world more interesting!

Last edited:

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I have 3 JetBoils. An original, a Flash, and a TiSol. I just saw a letter from a very poular AK flight service stating they can no longer transpost ANY propane, butane, or iso propane in their planes. Only white gas. What are we to use NOW?

strawman

Lil-Rokslider
For me, it's more about the lighter weight combined with the ease of use. I want to carry as little fuel as possible to keep the weight down. BUT, I also like being able to quickly and easily boil water. The JetBoil Ti certainly isn't the lightest option, but I've used a lot of stoves and for ME, it's the best combination of light weight and ease of use. The best I've used for simple weight savings and flexibility is the Caldera Cone Ti-Tri. You can use Esbit, Wood, or an alcohol stove. BUT, you also have to assemble it each time (which is really quite simple...just more time consuming than a canister stove). I actually enjoyed using the tri-ti more when I wasn't exhausted or wasn't in a hurry and had time to spare. After all, who doesn't like playing with fire? But when I'm simply tired and hungry, or want a quick cup of coffee while spotting...nothing beats the JetBoil.

Yes- it is true that a more efficient stove uses less fuel.

But, for me I am not usually worried about my fuel use when I carry a PR and a 220 canister with me and I can be out for a while with that set up; plus I aways have a couple solid tabs in my fire making kit if need be. And it only weighs about 2.4 oz more ( with 4 oz. more fuel) than a JB Sol Ti and a 110 canister.

I am sure the JB is a very good set up, but I am not too worried about carrying a couple more oz. of fuel with me for knowing that I will have plenty. Plus the 220 only costs $1 more than the 110. My PR and my 700ml SP cup and 220 probably takes up less space than a JB 110 setup.

For areal light and small set up my 1 oz solid fuel stove and tabs weigh almost nothing and take up hardly any space- and I am good with that ( just fine really) for 4-5 days.

But we all make different choices and for different reasons- makes the world more interesting!

Chem-E

Lil-Rokslider
My point that I was trying to make with my "misplaced indignation and waste" statement, was the misplaced indignation towards the pocket rocket stove itself. Like it was the PR stove's fault that your friend bought it ( no one forced him) and that it- I am guessing, performed the way it was designed. Simply seems to me to be misplaced anger / annoyance toward something that did as it was intended to do. Kind of reminds me of a guy I know of that tossed ( and broke it ) his nice perfectly functioning compound bow down a rocky hillside when he missed a chip shot on a nice bull. Like it was the bows fault.

I guess what got my "button's pushed" was the waste of throwing away a perfectly fine stove because it did not meet the friends expectation, even though he bought it and it I am guessing performed as intended. Plus not hard to check specs before buying something. And to me it just seemed like our typical throw away society- that has to much for it's own good. But, that is a whole other discussion.

As far as the JB stove goes- I guess I really showed some ignorance with my JB and campfire statement above. It does make perfect sense that you could use the metal cup only in a fire.

My own attitudes towards getting one when I have stuff that works fine for me, is just a matter of "why"? do I need it. Am I curious how it would do compared to what I have- yes, but only somewhat. Seems like with all this- " did you get the recent one stuff- 'cause they are much better" turns me off. Maybe, I will wait till they really get it down. And the part/ idea about buying a different canister stove and making it work better with the JB system has me both admiring the ingenuity and modifying ( because I like tinkering myself), and also wondering the point of buying something in the first place that is not quite up to "snuff" so to speak. My own hunch is if Cascade Designs ever took on the concept- like a smaller reactor type- they would blow JB out of the park. But, then again- that is just a hunch. Maybe I will wait till either JB gets its act together with a model that can stand the test of its own 2-3 year time table for a new model, or wait till a competitor beats them at their own niche. For now I am happy with what works.

** although I do have a $100 gift card at REI, and have been toying with using it towards getting one of MSR's new universal stoves ( WG and canister). Even though I really do not NEED and new stove. Or I could just buy one of the new JB ones and see what it is like for a season. OF course if I do not like it- I could either return it, give it away, or maybe just as an option "throw it away" ;^)

As far as the cost saving on fuel on the PR vs. JB- ( because that is the main difference I can see, because an extra 30 sec. to a minute of boil time does not get me wadded). I ran some quick math on a fairly moderate - heavy user. That being 36 days a year ( 2 week hunt and a weekend a year camp/hunting- which is 10% of a year, or 5 weeks of vacation a year. Probably more than most people here. Well, the cost savings only comes out to be about a time frame of taking about 6-8 years of use ( at the min.- probably more) to recoup the difference in stove cost. And that includes using the 110 size canisters- which are the least cost effective of almost any fuel.

Now for the avg user that buys these stoves- which is probably around 14 days a yr. if that- the time it would take to recoup the cost diff. is a lot longer than that- probably 10 + yrs.

I know that people do not buy things based on simple financial difference- it is based on desires and convenience etc. etc. But, just from a cost perspective on fuel and cost of the stove- it shows that the PR is a good stove value. Has to be a reason that it is one of the most purchased and reviewed stove that REI, or any one else has sold in the last 5-10 yrs. Heck, maybe in the history of canister stoves. It shows that to most people it is not just a disposable stove.

Just my 2 cents and maybe only worth that.

Im not angry My friend is not angry. Who is angry here?

The pocket rocket is just a few ounces of metal and a rubber gasket. So what if it ended up in the trash. Its not like a toxic, mercury filled, "green" light bulb going in the landfill.

stephen b

WKR
Clem-E

Not to just be tit- for tat- but..... whatever you want to call it- anger- annoyance, attitude about the stoves performance. Just like usual unmet expectations and our response towards them.

It was not the part about the disappointment in the stove that got to me- it was the callus, wanton waste of throwing something away that was perfectly good:

The pocket rocket is just a few ounces of metal and a rubber gasket. So what if it ended up in the trash.

when someone else could have used it and been absolutely thrilled with it. Guess that is just a product of some peoples throw away attitude. And it shows me someone who does not have good stewardship over that which has been given to them.

But, whatever dude- that must be how you and your friends roll. Now I am done with you.

Chem-E

Lil-Rokslider
Clem-E

Not to just be tit- for tat- but..... whatever you want to call it- anger- annoyance, attitude about the stoves performance. Just like usual unmet expectations and our response towards them.

It was not the part about the disappointment in the stove that got to me- it was the callus, wanton waste of throwing something away that was perfectly good:

The pocket rocket is just a few ounces of metal and a rubber gasket. So what if it ended up in the trash.

when someone else could have used it and been absolutely thrilled with it. Guess that is just a product of some peoples throw away attitude. And it shows me someone who does not have good stewardship over that which has been given to them.

But, whatever dude- that must be how you and your friends roll. Now I am done with you.

Well thank you for being done with the judgement and disparagement. Would you feel better if I gave you a weekly log of my recycling to ladfill ratio before I take out the trash? Or do you already have your fill of subordinates to mold to your liking?

muleman

WKR
During a hunt last year, we had three stoves in camp at 8500'. A Jetboil, ETA Express, and TRANGIA alcohol. Hands down, everytime the ETA Express boiled first with the same amount of water in each pot. Some companies do a better job marketing than others for me I really like to see firsthand results. For me the ETA Express is hard to beat, everything including a 230g bottle nest tightly together. When hunting, dinner is just a nescesity for me, so the faster I can get it heating through the faster I can move on to better things.
image.asp