Jetboil Flash

Scrappy

WKR
The flash is great for what you want it for. If you decide to start backcountry hunting the windburner will be a more reliable choice.

68Plexi

WKR
The Flash does not come with an internal igniter so you’ll have to plan on lighting it yourself. Not a big deal in my opinion as those igniters often go out anyway. Also, I believe the flash is just all on or off so it’s great to boil water (2 min or so) but not to cook with. FYI.

That could be gen 1 though, I’m not sure if the new model made those changes. $89 retail on the new model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The flash does come with an igniter. My SOL TI has been a great stove for the past 5 or so years.

Only used it up to 11,000' and down into the teens.

bcar

Lil-Rokslider
Flash will work fine for what you described. If you ever plan on taking it to high elevation, get the MiniMo, or the MicroMo. Those 2 have regulators.

How high is high? I have the Flash and didn't realize it would be an issue at elevation.

OldGrayJB

WKR
How high is high? I have the Flash and didn't realize it would be an issue at elevation.
I can't answer that. Temp is more of a problem. Elevation just makes it worse. Jetboil's website recommends using a stove with a regulator if the temp is below 45°. The pressure in the fuel canister drops when the temp drops. Low fuel pressure and thin air will have a very weak flame if it even lights. I know the Flash will work at 30-35° at 1000 ft. I know it has problems at those same temps at 9000 ft. If it's 70° it would probably work fine at 20000 ft.

During really cold temps you need to warm the canister for best results. And at high altitudes (i.e. cold environment) the gas blends work better (i.e. isobutane = butane + propane), because propane has a much lower "boiling" point, the temperature at which it turns from liquid to gas.

Butane turns to gas at 30F or above
Propane turns to gas at -44F or above

Since most canister fuels are only 20% propane, it doesn't take long to burn off all the propane when the canister drops below 30 degrees or so. Coleman used to have a 40% propane blend, so in cold environments that would be a good brand (I haven't confirmed this recently). Coleman also makes 100% propane canisters, which would be even better, but it weighs a good bit more and has less energy per fluid oz of fuel.

That's why it is important to warm the mixed gas canister when it is very cold. And it doesn't significantly matter which stove you are using. My guess is Flash doesn't have a large enough jet to cook well at high/cold temperatures. If you need cheap, the Mightymo is a stove only system for $60. Use your own cooking vessels. It is adjustable (for melting snow) and has a built in igniter and pan support.

Another difference is the boiling temperature of water at high altitude. At 10,000 feet your boiling meal will not get above about 194 degrees. That is still pretty darn hot, but not as effective as the 212 degrees at sea level. Rice probably won't cook properly at that temperature. Adding salt to the water to raise the boiling point does not work, because if you added enough salt to increase the boiling point by 1 degree F, you could not consume it (too salty). So choosing foods critically is important at high altitudes and worthy of its own study in advance.

Last edited:

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just did a review on the Flash vs a couple MSR models. I agree that for what your doing the Flash would be just fine.

KRW4

FNG
These are sweet! I keep one in a tote with cup of noodles, mountain houses, hot chocolate, cider, oatlmeal, and a few other things. I just throw it in my truck when I go in the woods, and it's always a nice treat to have, especially if it's cold!

OldGrayJB

WKR
I just did a review on the Flash vs a couple MSR models. I agree that for what your doing the Flash would be just fine.

Great review.
I have 2 questions.

Do you remember roughly what the elevation and temp was when you had problems with the Jetboil?

Have you ever noticed a difference in boil times on the Reactor when the fuel canister is partially used and the propane/butane ratios may be changing?

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Great review.
I have 2 questions.

Do you remember roughly what the elevation and temp was when you had problems with the Jetboil?

Have you ever noticed a difference in boil times on the Reactor when the fuel canister is partially used and the propane/butane ratios may be changing?

The elevation was 9,000 ish, probably closer to 9,500. Temp was low 20’s. But after I wrote the review I used it again with the same outcome in the same cold weather, mid 20’s down at 4,000 ft. One thing I’d liked to of played with more is canister differences. Like MSR vs Jetboil canister performance

I haven’t noticed any difference in the boil time throughout the canister life. It could fluctuate but it wasn’t very noticeable if it did.

LaHunter

WKR
This past October my group was camped at 10,700' in late October and it was well below freezing. Most mornings in was below 20 degrees. We had 3 jet boils that did fine boiling water for coffee.

Bbrinks

FNG
Same experience for me. We were at 10,000 to 10,800 in the teens and had no problem boiling water with my flash. My piezo failed after the second or third day on the first trip in 2018 and hasn’t worked since, so I wouldn’t depend on that for lighting it. I use my lighter, but it’s a little inconvenient to take the pot off the base to light it

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Were you guys using a Jetboil canister or something different?

Maybe mine was screwed up, but I had some real problems getting that Flash to light when it was cold.

3pointer

Lil-Rokslider
I was @ 10000 ft in 28-40 degree temps at night , never had a problem , it is a little inconvenient having to use a lighter , but !! It puts you in the habit of carrying one which is always good😉

LaHunter

WKR
Were you guys using a Jetboil canister or something different?

Maybe mine was screwed up, but I had some real problems getting that Flash to light when it was cold.

I was using the larger sized Jetboil fuel cannister, and I am fairly sure the other two were using the same.

Bbrinks

FNG
When it was dipping into the lower teens, I kept the canister in the footbox of my quilt overnight to keep the fuel warm for the morning. Never had any issues with igniting or the flame sputtering