Jeep Gladiator, does it suck?

Mojave

WKR
We are trying to decide if we need another full size truck or something else. The Toyota/Nissan mid-size trucks aren't big enough for a family of 5.

It will be my daily driver, get a hard camper shell (I call it a topper where I am from). Mostly be driven about 8-10 miles one way on black top. And occasionally on the highway.

We own a Seqoia and it will be the primary family truxter and the wife's truck.

We aren't dragging anything, camper, boat, whatever so that doesn't matter.

What say you owners of Jeep trucks?

OP
Mojave

Mojave

WKR
It will only rarely get driven with the entire family when we have to get a piece of furniture.

This will be in Europe, I am waiting on job decision. Had interviews in a couple of places; Alaska and North Dakota and Europe. Just waiting on a decision.

True full size vehicles are a pain in the ass in Europe.

def90

WKR
It will only rarely get driven with the entire family when we have to get a piece of furniture.

This will be in Europe, I am waiting on job decision. Had interviews in a couple of places; Alaska and North Dakota and Europe. Just waiting on a decision.

They are long though.. If you only need the bed once in a while for a piece of furniture I would just pay for the delivery option. Could probably get the Euro version of a Tacoma which would be the HiLux and be ahead of the game. But if teh current Toyota mid sized trucks aren't big enough a Gladiator won't be either.

fmyth

WKR
We are trying to decide if we need another full size truck or something else. The Toyota/Nissan mid-size trucks aren't big enough for a family of 5.

It will be my daily driver, get a hard camper shell (I call it a topper where I am from). Mostly be driven about 8-10 miles one way on black top. And occasionally on the highway.

We own a Seqoia and it will be the primary family truxter and the wife's truck.

We aren't dragging anything, camper, boat, whatever so that doesn't matter.

What say you owners of Jeep trucks?
Have you driven one? Had your family sit in the back? I looked at them and bought a Ram Rebel because the tow capacity was twice that of the Gladiator and the rear seats area was much larger. Still goes anywhere I would drive a 60k vehicle.

tony

WKR
I work with two guys that have them, 1. rubicon automatic, 2. majove manual. They both like them. 1. Hunts some, pulls a small boat on occasion. 2. Just drives his.
No real issues from what I know. I looked at them before I bought my ranger. Damn, Jeep is really proud of those vehicles from the price they charge. And yet every car lot is full of used jeeps and gladiators. I think a lot of people buy them for the “cool” factor.
The gladiator looks to be the same size as my ranger.
Im not waving or leaving rubber ducks to anyone though. :p

Pramo

WKR
I owned a wrangler rubicon and sold it after a long skip trip and the lack of comfort, and got a gladiator rubicon as a rental car randomly on a hunt in idaho. They look cool but are noisy and worst for me is the solid axel steering drift. On a highway you will always have to keep tension on the wheel to stay in lane. If I just drove dirt roads and no long highway stretches' they would be a good vehicle. The quality is sub bar on my jeep the rear brake caliper froze up with 35K miles. I just buy boring Toyotas from here on out

The 2007-2021 Tundra Crew Cab is probably the biggest backseat of any 1/2 ton during that entire time period. In some cases, it’s not even close. I haven’t been in a Gladiator but cannot believe it would be bigger.

I would not recommend having a Jeep in most areas of Europe; the scarcity of parts and service alone would be a major drawback.

sneaky

"DADDY"

Tight roads in Europe, the length of the Gladiator may be the issue

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The 2007-2021 Tundra Crew Cab is probably the biggest backseat of any 1/2 ton during that entire time period. In some cases, it’s not even close. I haven’t been in a Gladiator but cannot believe it would be bigger.
'19 and up gen 5 RAM crew cabs have humongous back seat. The rear seats even recline a bit.

seww

WKR
If you're going to Europe, get the Toyota Hilux. I owned a 2010 some years ago, I had the 3.0 diesel motor, got awesome mpg's for a truck. I do know that Mercedes has a pick-up now too.
Plus, Europe is not built for American trucks, you'll hate parking the damn thing.

But... Depending on which country in Europe you're going, I know that they're working hard on banning diesel vehicles in several countries so might be something to look out for. Gas and diesel prices are stupid over there too! In Sweden and Finland it cost close to $2 per liter! It goes 3.78 liters per gallon so you do the math...

Yep you need an Audi or Mercedes SUV in Europe. I would choose Audi.
Agree. I believe VW owns Audi, Porsche, and a couple other brands now, and parts should be decent to find and replace in the EU. My brother has an Audi SUV and his wife had a flat on the interstate last summer. From the sound of it they had quite the rodeo trying to get the spare extracted and changed.

If you're going to Europe, get the Toyota Hilux. I owned a 2010 some years ago, I had the 3.0 diesel motor, got awesome mpg's for a truck. I do know that Mercedes has a pick-up now too.
Plus, Europe is not built for American trucks, you'll hate parking the damn thing.

But... Depending on which country in Europe you're going, I know that they're working hard on banning diesel vehicles in several countries so might be something to look out for. Gas and diesel prices are stupid over there too! In Sweden and Finland it cost close to $2 per liter! It goes 3.78 liters per gallon so you do the math...
Saw and rode in a few Hilux in Costa Rica years ago and I've never understood why they didn't sell them in the US. Direct competition to the Colorado and GMC baby diesel trucks.

svivian

WKR
Saw and rode in a few Hilux in Costa Rica years ago and I've never understood why they didn't sell them in the US. Direct competition to the Colorado and GMC baby diesel trucks.
Id kill for one here in the states. When I was down in New Zealand everyone had them and they were freaking awesome. I also couldnt believe what they were able to tow with those rigs.