Jasper, up in flames

Beendare

WKR
Forest fires in Canada burning at a rate of 60 mph wiped out Jasper….with millions of tons of smoke blanketing eastern Canada.

When are the forestry folks going to realize selective logging and clear cutting is GOOD for the environment?

We have been dealing with this in California, lawsuits by environmental groups for decades has almost completely shutdown our logging industry. I swear these “ Environmentalists” do more harm than good.

manitou1

WKR
Forest fires in Canada burning at a rate of 60 mph wiped out Jasper….with millions of tons of smoke blanketing eastern Canada.

When are the forestry folks going to realize selective logging and clear cutting is GOOD for the environment?

We have been dealing with this in California, lawsuits by environmental groups for decades has almost completely shutdown our logging industry. I swear these “ Environmentalists” do more harm than good.
They probably set them.😁🥴

And I’m sure that the pollution and habitat loss from logging would be DRASTICALLY less than what the fires create.

Reactions: OMB
OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
We have one now in NorCal, the Park fire- currently 401,000 acres burned.

So we are spending billions for windmills but just let the forests grow out of control?

The crazy thing is if the folks in charge had half a brain, they could solve the overgrown forests AND make money from the trees- a renewable resource...or at least it would be a break even.

Nope, the folks in charge of the west coast states of CA, OR and Wash bow down to the hack environmentalists- letting them call the shots...and look where that got us.

Go on Inciweb.wildfire.gov to keep an eye on your hunt unit- it will make you sick to see all of the big fires.

Oldrifle

FNG
It was only two months ago when I visited. A gorgeous place, although a bit sad. It's just an awful policy.

dirtshooter

Lil-Rokslider
What do you think will happen with hunting this year in the area? Sheep, elk, etc.?
I don't think it will make much of a difference. Look where the fires were and measure to the nearest WMU. It's pretty far away and the fire all things considered wasn't huge.

Timber harvests and prescribed fire are going strong here in the Southeast. I see/kill a good number of turkeys in recent burns on National Forest here in South Carolina. A lot of good habitat made and they always replant the pines.

Just don't get why they can't see the benefit of it out West.
Gotta vote with your brains, not your hearts.

Intelligent land and wildlife management is usually ignored by the "environmentalist" to their detriment.

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
So let's just toss this out there....Ca spent millions on Electric busses...and no surprise, they had to abandon them for a few reasons.

Having logging companies pay a fee to come in and selectively harvest sections of forest to create fire breaks should be additive to state budgets...and not a negative.

Less pollution, easier to fight these fires with less $$$, less acreage burned-

That sure seems like a logical policy. A win win.