Jarbidge trip

Anyone done a hiking/camping trip to the Jarbidge? Worth doing? Looking for something to do over Memorial weekend. Would snow be an issue in late May?

I went in there a couple years ago in October for elk. It’s good looking country. Aspen and cottonwood in the creek bottoms and some scattered black timber up higher with lots of open sage parks. nDepending on how high you are going snow might be still around but what’s left should be mostly ice. OTOH ive been snowed on pretty hard in late may in the Sierras, the Rockies, and several ranges in NV at any elevation above 6500 feet. Mountains is mountains. I always go prepared for snow. There’s small brook trout in some of the creeks. Shouldn’t have a lot of company that time of year. YMMV

OP
MuleyFever
I went in there a couple years ago in October for elk. It’s good looking country. Aspen and cottonwood in the creek bottoms and some scattered black timber up higher with lots of open sage parks. nDepending on how high you are going snow might be still around but what’s left should be mostly ice. OTOH ive been snowed on pretty hard in late may in the Sierras, the Rockies, and several ranges in NV at any elevation above 6500 feet. Mountains is mountains. I always go prepared for snow. There’s small brook trout in some of the creeks. Shouldn’t have a lot of company that time of year. YMMV
We are looking for less people.

Might be some cowboys and cattle... not sure on the regs. Cattle definitely don’t care about the regs.

We went thru the pass from the Winnemucca side on June 21 20ish yrs ago. Road had just opened up that year up on top, snowbanks still around. Great hiking down around Jarbridge though which is quite a bit lower. It did freeze at night down at Jarbridge despite being summer.

ckrhtr

FNG
What time in May are you looking at going? Do you have any idea where you are looking at staying? Pole creek is pushing 8k so there will probably still be snow early May. You could get from Wildhorse res through gold creek to Jarbridge early May last year. Charleston to Jarbidge may be a no go that early.

OP
MuleyFever
What time in May are you looking at going? Do you have any idea where you are looking at staying? Pole creek is pushing 8k so there will probably still be snow early May. You could get from Wildhorse res through gold creek to Jarbridge early May last year. Charleston to Jarbidge may be a no go that early.

Memorial weekend. Still just looking around. The friends from Twin Falls we were going to meet are now having issues with the dates so we may change plans.

ckrhtr

FNG
Memorial weekend. Still just looking around. The friends from Twin Falls we were going to meet are now having issues with the dates so we may change plans.

See if this link works I use it quite a bit and you can scroll back in dates to see snow cover. Sometimes it is a little hard to tell exactly what the snow cover is like but it will give you an idea.