I've gone down the pack rabbit hole and now my head is spinning. Please help!

After extensive research, this place seems like the most knowledgeable spot on the Internet for info about packs. I just created an account because I'd really love some advice. I know that this place is for hunters, but I don't hunt. I'm into hiking and general backcountry exploration.

I'm looking for a 30L internal frame pack (flexible anywhere from 25 to 40). My issue is that I can't find the proper solution for CCW. I've been using a Hill People Gear chest rig for about two years now. It's fine but it tends to become kind of uncomfortable going into the second day of a hike. What I'd really like is a molle system on the hip belt that I could attach a pistol pouch. The typical hiking packs (like Osprey) don't offer that. That led me down a two week rabbit hole of hunting packs. Now my head is spinning. I'm leaning towards the Kifaru Shape Charge. I'm open to all suggestions and price points. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Geewhiz

WKR
Welcome to rokslide.

The main factors that differentiate hunting packs from regular old backpacking packs is #1 the ability to maintain its integrity under absurd amounts of weight and abuse and #2 a load shelf that allows you to carry large, awkward and heavy loads between the frame and the bag. These 2 qualities lead to the fact that a dedicated backcountry hunting pack has an external frame which sounds like is not what you are looking for.

Beings as I never really carry a pistol when hunting I unfortunately cant answer your questions in regards to holster compatibility.

There's lots of folks on here that nerd out on this kind of stuff so hopefully some more knowledgeable than me chime in.

Last edited:
OP
H
Welcome to rokslide.

The main factors that differentiate hunting packs from regular old backpacking packs is #1 the ability to maintain its integrity under absurd amounts of weight and abuse and #2 a load shelf that allows you to carry large, awkward and heavy loads between the frame and the bag. These 2 qualities lead to the fact that a dedicated backcountry hunting pack has an external frame which sounds like is not what you are looking for.

Beings as I never really carry a pistol when hunting I unfortunately cant answer your questions in regards to holster compatibility.

There's lots of folks on here that nerd out on this kind of stuff so hopefully some more knowledgeable than me chip in.
Yeah I'm absolutely fascinated with all of these external frames. However, it'd definitely be an overkill for my purposes. Once I limited my search to internal frame packs with molle hip belts, that really narrowed down the field.

Thanks for the reply

kata2012

Lil-Rokslider
You might want to check out badlands packs, as I recall they had a few models in the past (i think the 2200 and 1 other) that had integrated pistol holders in the hip belt. I don't own any of their gear, so I can't speak to their durability, but I'm sure a few people around here have used them in the past.

Also, if you find your ideal pack, you can usually get it a great deal in it in the classifieds here if you don't mind buying pre-owned.

Good luck with the search!

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Welcome, JC custom kydex makes holsters that attach to the molle of Kifaru hip belts. I think Kifaru might even sell them on their website. I really like a chest rig like gunfighters inc for accessibility and comfort so I don’t know about any other hip belt options, but if you’ll find lots of info searching past threads on Rokslide. Best of luck.

TreeWalking

Lil-Rokslider
A handgun or bear spray which is not on your chest is less comfortable and less accessible. CCW implies you will conceal the handgun. I have always worn mine in full view when hiking in the outdoors if are predators that could knock me down.

Geewhiz

WKR
You might want to check out badlands packs, as I recall they had a few models in the past (i think the 2200 and 1 other) that had integrated pistol holders in the hip belt. I don't own any of their gear, so I can't speak to their durability, but I'm sure a few people around here have used them in the past.

Also, if you find your ideal pack, you can usually get it a great deal in it in the classifieds here if you don't mind buying pre-owned.

I had a badlands 2800 that also had an integrated holster but as to the durability of the pack itself, thats another story.

OP
H

I looked at badlands earlier but I was leaning towards the Kifaru Shape Charge instead. Thanks for the reply. I'm going to revisit their packs

The kifaru shape charge with a jc customs holster sound like the ticket. I have an alien gear Molle holster and attached a large waterproof belt pouch over it. Hides it a bit and keeps it cleaner

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    356.2 KB · Views: 24
OP
H
The kifaru shape charge with a jc customs holster sound like the ticket. I have an alien gear Molle holster and attached a large waterproof belt pouch over it. Hides it a bit and keeps it cleaner
I really like that setup you have. Thanks