Italy/ Europe

JMasson

Lil-Rokslider
I am due to move to Italy this coming January. I haven’t been able to find much information about hunting. I’m not sure if it would be worthwhile for me to take my bow and some gear. My orders prohibit me shipping a “weapon” but I need to dig through the regulation and see if a bow falls within the definition of “weapon”. Firearms are for sure out of the question. I have found some info on fishing so I plan on taking a couple fly rods with me. Does anyone have experience hunting in Italy? It won’t hurt my feelings to fish and travel for 3 years so my heart certainly isn’t set on it but would be a cool opportunity if it was possible.

Wapiti1

WKR
Seems doable.

That said, other countries near there would be my targets. Slovenia, Macedonia, Romania, Hungary, Austria, Slovakia, and others all have solid hunting traditions. Firearms can be rented in most cases, or borrowed.

Jeremy

OP
JMasson

JMasson

Lil-Rokslider
Look into spearfishing.... you may enjoy it and very popular there.
Growing up in Florida, I used to spend a lot of time spearfishing. I no longer have any gear but I have also looked into it. I may get back into it for a few years.

I would also consider Spain for Boar and upland. Tuscany is known for its wild hogs and cuisine based on them. From what I have read, it seems like hunting is a rich man's sport in Europe as a whole but its still possible. I would love to do some hunting in Spain or Italy and bring back a good shotgun as well.

jayhawk

WKR
I know there are plenty of outfitters/guides in eastern countries like Slovakia, Czech Rep., etc. You may want to reach out to them and see what your options might be in those places. Frankly, Eastern Europe is EXTREMELY underrated and you won’t be disappointed if you go there

You are living the (my) dream.
Which region will you be based in?
You do not have to answer, obviously.

OP
JMasson

JMasson

Lil-Rokslider
I know there are plenty of outfitters/guides in eastern countries like Slovakia, Czech Rep., etc. You may want to reach out to them and see what your options might be in those places. Frankly, Eastern Europe is EXTREMELY underrated and you won’t be disappointed if you go there
I plan to visit as many places as possibly can. I’ll be busy but the command wants their time off as well.

OP
JMasson

JMasson

Lil-Rokslider
You are living the (my) dream.
Which region will you be based in?
You do not have to answer, obviously.
Vicenza with the 173rd BCT (A). I wanted to go to Alaska but this wonderful southern belle I married was having no part of that plan.

I am presuming at some point cingiale.
Would love to bag a deer there, too.
Anyone know what the season is?

OP
JMasson

JMasson

Lil-Rokslider
I would also consider Spain for Boar and upland. Tuscany is known for its wild hogs and cuisine based on them. From what I have read, it seems like hunting is a rich man's sport in Europe as a whole but its still possible. I would love to do some hunting in Spain or Italy and bring back a good shotgun as well.
Got a couple Italian made shotguns already and I’m a huge fan of them. I also have a FNH built Winchester SX2 that you couldn’t pay me to get rid of.

OP
JMasson

JMasson

Lil-Rokslider
Seems like alot of good info right here.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk
I had read that previously. I’m beginning to think that I may just take my some gear and my tripod, spotter, and binos and hike and glass the mountains…and imagine the possibilities. Either way, I’ll be saving money on tags and still buy mule deer points for when I get back. Luckily I’ll only be about 45 minutes from the Italian Alps so I’ll be able to stay in mountain shape and the fly fishing is supposedly great in the area. Lots of stuff to look forward to. I’ll miss hunting but the time will fly by. The OPTEMPO is high but that keeps me busy and makes time go by even faster.

sconnieVLP

Lil-Rokslider
Unless the rules have changed, I’ve PCSd overseas with my bow before. Never been stationed in Italy so may want to check on their specific customs regulations. Most places in Europe archery equipment is just considered “sporting equipment” and isn’t subject to the insane gun laws across most of the continent.

You’re going to be all over Europe for work, I just PCSd back from Germany and we were always doing exercises in a random country with the 173d.

JPD350

WKR
I was in the Umbria region a few years back at an old rock house (airbnb) it was at the end of a road in the backcountry. I took hikes and found an abundance of wild boars, I didn't have a weapon but I am sure if I had a bow it would have been a very fun hunt!

seww

WKR
I know lots of Italians travel to Scandinavia to hunt ptarmigans and other upland birds. Small game hunting seems fairly big down there.
The Italians bought Tikka and I know the quality decreased after that, so I have a bad eye for them :)

Sounds like a fun adventure though!

Roughout

FNG
Vicenza with the 173rd BCT (A). I wanted to go to Alaska but this wonderful southern belle I married was having no part of that plan.

My brother in law just returned from his station here with the 173rd. As other mentioned, you’ll be traveling all over Europe where you will have hunting opportunities via relationships made but I do not believe there is any legal hunting in Italy.

PM if you’d like his contact for further info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My brother in law just returned from his station here with the 173rd. As other mentioned, you’ll be traveling all over Europe where you will have hunting opportunities via relationships made but I do not believe there is any legal hunting in Italy.

PM if you’d like his contact for further info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There is legal hunting in Italia. ;)
Deer, waterfowl, pheasant and especially cingiale :)

OP
JMasson

JMasson

Lil-Rokslider
Figured I’d follow up since we have a few active duty people on the forum and some of you may find yourselves this way at some point. Been here almost one year now and I haven’t hunted per se. I’ve been spearfishing in Italy and Croatia so far. Greece is the next country on the list for the coming spring. I know some folks think it’s not hunting but it’s more akin to hunting than fishing, in my opinion. Some folks think it’s easy, they have obviously never spearfished in the Mediterranean region where fish like to hang out in 25-30 meters and hide at the first sight of a diver. I’ve hiked all over the Italian alps to include some brutal claims to over 10k feet. Been to Spain, France (for D-Day, the jump was scratched), Slovenia, Turkey, Germany, UK and Austria. Next summer I’m going to go spearfish in Norway for halibut; which should make for some interesting and cold diving. Worked with a bunch of foreign armies and I still have over two years left. There is hunting in Italy but it’s difficult to acquire permission and can be pretty expensive to pay for an outfitter. I’m only a Sergeant First Class, so that expense isn’t in the budget unfortunately. Ran into some bear hunters in Slovenia. They were recently successful and I got my hands dirty helping them field dress it during a break in training my platoon. So far it has been a good trip. I’ve been very busy and it seems at least every other month I’m traveling somewhere for training or leisure travel with the family. The fly fishing in the alps has been a OIL experience and would recommend for anyone visiting or living in Southern Europe. I’ve had no shortage of outdoor experiences thus far and don’t see that being an issue. Some the mountains here are every bit as steep and rugged as the Frank Church or Sawtooth. Luckily, they’re not as remote and there’s refugios (think small restaurant mixed with a hostel) scattered frequently throughout the entire region. I took my platoon on a two day hike that covered 19 miles and gained over 8k feet in elevation. Great experience, great unit but I can’t wait to get back to the States.

wavygravy

FNG
Mind sharing some of the rivers that you've targeted for trout so far? I've recently moved to Southern Germany and still sorting out a few things but the licensing requirements are not my favorite. We're planning trips to northern Italy in the near future. For 'hunting' however I have found fun with a slingshot and the abundant farmlands.

Last edited: