Issue with new SEVR heads?

I regrettably didn't inspect my hybrids too closely.....but just got a bull elk right in the sweet spot, and got about 3-4" of penetration....no blood, and the elk didnt seem to care after being scared by the sound of the bow and impact. Fortunately got another shot (frontal) that did the job ...but I won't be using sevrs again
I should add....505 gn arrow, flying at 285fps...shot at 25 yds

Pramo

WKR
I've tried sevrs off an on a few times over the years and while I want to believe they are good I've had mixed results . Killed somethings and had poor penetration or strange arrow paths on others. I have killed lots of stuff over 30 years of bow hunting so I'm not blaming the Indian on this one it is an inconsistent head

If I'm going expandable I'm going rage hypodermic style head, I simply threw my sevr 1.5 and 2.0 in the trash, I can't trust them

Here's an issue I have had with Sevr, I think I have shown pics before, but maybe not.

Deployed correctly:
20240922_175437.jpg

Notice how much of the blade edge is either congruent or behind the deployment tabs? 1/3 of that blade area is covered by the tab, means it's not cutting its way through. That's a 2.1, I have switched most of them to the 2.0 blades, which are a little better, but still have the same issue, a knife isn't going to cut well with a dull edge stacked right next to it.

Here's how I have found the heads twice:
20240922_175459.jpg

Blades will lock in that position, it does away with the issue of a tab covering the blades, but that's a horrible blade angle to try to push through an animal. I can't be certain that's how they passed through, and they did, I found both arrows just laying on top of grass behind where the deer was, but I'm used to them being buried in the dirt, not just laying there. Could be the fletching makes enough drag on the way out to allow the blades to push further forward than they would initially, but I could also believe those tabs could leverage the sharp ends out past where they are supposed to be.

The smaller cut versions seem better, but I'm not much on using a mech head that's almost cutting what I can get with a fixed head. I want a bigger cut, mainly why I use them, they can be more forgiving, but I haven't had penetration issues with most mech heads and would prefer to maximize my wound channel.

V-TRAIN

WKR
Here's an issue I have had with Sevr, I think I have shown pics before, but maybe not.

Deployed correctly:
View attachment 767518

Notice how much of the blade edge is either congruent or behind the deployment tabs? 1/3 of that blade area is covered by the tab, means it's not cutting its way through. That's a 2.1, I have switched most of them to the 2.0 blades, which are a little better, but still have the same issue, a knife isn't going to cut well with a dull edge stacked right next to it.

Here's how I have found the heads twice:
View attachment 767520

Blades will lock in that position, it does away with the issue of a tab covering the blades, but that's a horrible blade angle to try to push through an animal. I can't be certain that's how they passed through, and they did, I found both arrows just laying on top of grass behind where the deer was, but I'm used to them being buried in the dirt, not just laying there. Could be the fletching makes enough drag on the way out to allow the blades to push further forward than they would initially, but I could also believe those tabs could leverage the sharp ends out past where they are supposed to be.

The smaller cut versions seem better, but I'm not much on using a mech head that's almost cutting what I can get with a fixed head. I want a bigger cut, mainly why I use them, they can be more forgiving, but I haven't had penetration issues with most mech heads and would prefer to maximize my wound channel.
the tabs are not blocking the blades from cutting, they are on different planes.

SandyCreek

Lil-Rokslider
i killed a bull with sevrs this year never again. To start i have killed them before with sevrs never an issue this year broadside shot both lungs at 50 passed through. it took this bull two hours to die I've never seen anything like it maybe he was one tough SOB but the only thing i couldve done different was to heart shoot him

OP
ScreamingPotato
i killed a bull with sevrs this year never again. To start i have killed them before with sevrs never an issue this year broadside shot both lungs at 50 passed through. it took this bull two hours to die I've never seen anything like it maybe he was one tough SOB but the only thing i couldve done different was to heart shoot him
Wow... You didn't by chance get pics of wound channel and all that did you? I'm in no way doubting you I just want to see what it looked like. That's freaking terrible. Which SEVR head did you use?

The tab is above the blade on one side, and below it on the other. It is not preventing the blade from cutting.

Um, no, it lays right beside the blade, then curls above it. Same on both sides. It blocks 1/3 of the blade from doing it's job, cutting.

How many heads would you feel comfortable doing this with?

20240925_195736.jpg20240925_195740.jpg20240925_195746.jpg

Last edited:

V-TRAIN

WKR
It is not preventing the blade from cutting, it is not covering the edge of the blade.
If they prevented the blade from cutting, there would be no penetration.

It is not preventing the blade from cutting, it is not covering the edge of the blade.
If they prevented the blade from cutting, there would be no penetration.

Clamp a piece of 1/8" steel on your kitchen knife, see how it cuts.

It's running mostly parallel to the blade edge, preventing contact on the blade edge, for that closest 1/3 against the ferrule.

OP
ScreamingPotato
I have to agree that appears that it would slow things down a tad, anything has to pass over the dull hump before reaching the blades to slice. It seems they just called it trademarked skin stretch technology and call it good. I'm shooting them anyway but it bothers me a little. I'll give them a fair shake.

I have to agree that appears that it would slow things down a tad, anything has to pass over the dull hump before reaching the blades to slice. It seems they just called it trademarked skin stretch technology and call it good. I'm shooting them anyway but it bothers me a little. I'll give them a fair shake.

I haven't not killed anything I have shot with them, and that's the older 2.1 I think, the 2.0 is a little better.

But leaves some to be desired, they fly well, tho it's surprising how much speed they still loose compared to a fp at distance.

As stated before, it seems the animal absorbs all the energy, and arrow basically falls out. And that's with 150# WT does.

OP
ScreamingPotato
I haven't not killed anything I have shot with them, and that's the older 2.1 I think, the 2.0 is a little better.

But leaves some to be desired, they fly well, tho it's surprising how much speed they still loose compared to a fp at distance.

As stated before, it seems the animal absorbs all the energy, and arrow basically falls out. And that's with 150# WT does.
I'm gonna run through a deer with a 2.0 from a crossbow and see what I think. I've got plenty of Slick Trick and Grim Reaper for the compound if I don't like the results. I bought about a dozen here on the Slide and another dozen new from SEVR thinking I'd use them for both compound as well as weird sideways compound but we'll see.

I'll add my most recent Sevr experience. Elk at 40 yards, quartering towards me. Arrow entered the point of the shoulder and penetrated all the way to the offside hide. It didn't exit but could be seen pushing the hide out slightly. Elk ran about 60-80 yards and died within sight of the shot. When removed, one of the "clips" that holds the blades open was bent but otherwise it seemed to be straight and cutting edges were intact. With the broadhead entering through the shoulder I expected damage to the head so overall I was satisfied with the performance.

I'll add my most recent Sevr experience. Elk at 40 yards, quartering towards me. Arrow entered the point of the shoulder and penetrated all the way to the offside hide. It didn't exit but could be seen pushing the hide out slightly. Elk ran about 60-80 yards and died within sight of the shot. When removed, one of the "clips" that holds the blades open was bent but otherwise it seemed to be straight and cutting edges were intact. With the broadhead entering through the shoulder I expected damage to the head so overall I was satisfied with the performance.

Which head? One of the smaller ones I'd assume?