Issue with my knight mountaineer

Zbowman1

WKR
I purchased my mountaineer about 2 years ago. When I purchased it was set up for 209 premiers but since I’m in Idaho I converted it to the western compliant bolt with a musket cap primer. Using RWS primers I’m having a hard time getting consistent ignition. It seems like the caps aren’t seating correctly on the nipple. I have to push it down super hard and even then it doesn’t always go off. What am I doing wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It may be a gun problem... Often the supplied cap breech plug is just a bit short to work correctly with the nipple you might be using.

A simple test you can do... Turn your BP out about a 1/4 of a turn and pop 3 - 4 caps. If they all go off the way they are suppose to, you are going to need to get a longer nipple. Who made the nipple you have currently installed?

Muleyczy

Lil-Rokslider
It may be a gun problem... Often the supplied cap breech plug is just a bit short to work correctly with the nipple you might be using.

A simple test you can do... Turn your BP out about a 1/4 of a turn and pop 3 - 4 caps. If they all go off the way they are suppose to, you are going to need to get a longer nipple. Who made the nipple you have currently installed?
Following….sabotloader whats a “BP”

OP
Z

Zbowman1

WKR

Its a knight breach plug. This is the kit i installed. https://www.muzzleloaders.com/product/premier-western-muzzleloader-conversion-kit/

Good advice from Sabotloader.

I have to push it down super hard and even then it doesn’t always go off.

But, this statement makes me think you are experiencing the not uncommon issue of poor cap to nipple fit. You may need a different cap, a different nipple or you may need to modify the nipple to fit the cap.